Reaction score
I dout a vxr corsa owner would be laughing against a re-mapped/modded cupra tdi. If your racing on the street how would a car like a 182 be any good against high torque cars? Please explain/give examples of your heroics someone cheers.

Reaction score
mada88 said:
I dout a vxr corsa owner would be laughing against a re-mapped/modded cupra tdi. If your racing on the street how would a car like a 182 be any good against high torque cars? Please explain/give examples of your heroics someone cheers.

You still don't seem to be understanding, diesels have that high torque, very briefly...it means very little. All it means in a diesel is you would have 'more chance' of winning against a Trophy if you caught the owner unaware and it was in the bottom of the rev-range and out of the power band in the wrong gear. If you organized that you would be running from 30 or 40mph in second gear up through the gears then you would get left in the TDi.

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
Cue said:
personal experience in this argument - my leon isn't anywhere near as fast as the T. My mates chipped bmw 400 lb/ft 3 series coupe is there or there abouts but again that's in a straight line.

Ha, that reminds me of the remapped 335D legend and forever more punchline on PH :lol:

I've heard this referred to, I wish I could read the original but PH's search function is hopeless.

I get the idea that someone had a remapped 335D which they believed was faster than any other car ever.

Reaction score
Johnnytheboy said:
duffer987 said:
Cue said:
personal experience in this argument - my leon isn't anywhere near as fast as the T. My mates chipped bmw 400 lb/ft 3 series coupe is there or there abouts but again that's in a straight line.

Ha, that reminds me of the remapped 335D legend and forever more punchline on PH :lol:

I've heard this referred to, I wish I could read the original but PH's search function is hopeless.

I get the idea that someone had a remapped 335D which they believed was faster than any other car ever.

The amount that gets mentioned on PH, I wondered to what originated the ongoing joke.

Reaction score
A bm is better than a Renault so I wouldn't laugh at his car.

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
I like funny threads....

I think you have slightly overestimated the torque (curve) of a diesel though.

Not really lesser diesels would out pace your trophy I'm sure it happens all the time while you sit I'm the loser lane on the motorway trying to get 40mpg. My cup has race dampers! But they call it a trophy instead!

Reaction score
pete g said:
Please, are you really comparing a CT with a Seat oil burner?
My mates got one, we call it the Spanish Tractor... Torque does not make a drivers car, not by a long way!

well why not? Your trophy isn't all that you know f ucks sake you should re-name this forum the church of trophy the way some of you people worship a little red French tin can on wheels. If it wasn't for people asking different questions and bringing up new things this forum would just go around in circles talking about the same subjects. On the face of it this seems to be the case. Funny? You are the way your deluded mind thinks a trophies the best car ever.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I don't think many of us are under the illusion the the T is the best car ever but for the kind of money you can pick one up you will not get much that offers let alone beats the T at what its best at, it wasn't one of Evo's cars of the year for nothing. It seems that you have not even driven one yet so to a certain extent how can you express an opinion about how it may perform against oil burner.
You had one negative comment at the end of a very long thread and threw all the toys, grow up.

Reaction score
Spot on hoolio.... You asked for advice mada, then you moan and swear when you dont like it... #-o
I do know more than the fine little redbox, Cossy, STI, Lotus for starters...
There are better cars but a Seat oil burner aint one of them .. got it.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i turn my back for a day and WW3 erupts...

Mada, I have a Leon TDI as well as the T and it just doesn't compare. I've had all sorts of cars before and they don't compare, not the the M3 I had was slower, but it terms of driving pleasure I wouldn't go back. Not least because the running costs of the T is around half of that of the M3, but it offers up more fun - go figure why I didn't buy another one in favour of saving £20k and getting a T?????

If you've driven a range of cars, have built up a wealth of driving knowledge, you'd laugh at the comparison between an ibiza and a T. OK, they're similar sized... that's about where the comparison ends.

Reaction score
You might aswell delete this thread it was a stupid question anyway. I don't know why the trophy was brought into the equation as the title doesn't say trophy It was comparing the standard 182. Anyways people like I said it's still a stupid comparison.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It wasn't a stupid question and as you said in one of the posts that you deleted it's an open forum for people to discuss stuff that interests us all, cars. Unfortunately we're not always going to like what we hear all the time.

Reaction score
I actually looked at one for hill climbing as, in the SW, 2.0 litre diesel turbos run in the up to 1,400 cc class. There was a Cupra 160 bhp competing a couple of years ago and he was only about 1.5 seconds slower than the Trophy and other 182s. Even in standard form he had big problems with heat soak making the whole system shut down.

They are by far the lightest disel with any performance, and there are reasonable handling kits. Tuning is far more complicated than generally admitted - any significant power increase needs a stronger clutch, which generally means converting from a dual mass flywheel to solid and then any refinement disappears. A better intercooler is a must, as is a different turbo; however the intercooler doesn't solve heat soak and the turbo changes the shape of the torque curve quite significantly. Remember that maximum torque in itself is not the holy grail, as the longer gearing of a diesel reduces the multiplication seen at the wheels when compared with a high revving petrol engine. Also if you look at the torque curves for many modified diesels, they are quite spikey (makes them feel quicker than they are, as does the late V Tec switch over on a Honda) - as ever it is the area under the curve that matters. Last but not least the gearing was not at all suitable. so quite simply a no-no.

A 182 is far more competitive out of the box, and driven gently will do 36 mpg plus - it would take years to recover the cost of making the Seat a match. As an unmodifid car for general slightly sporty every day use it is good, but fulfills a different requirements from the Clios.