Reaction score
hey as some of u know i just got my trophy last week.....so anyway theres a guy in work has a civic type r....it has a full exhaust system, decat and an induction kit....and he wanted to see how it would compare to the clio.
luckily near work theres a private bit of road which opens out into 2 lanes.....so i made him start out in front....i was sure he was going to be quicker so wanted to see how much of a gap he would open....so we started from a roll in 1st (to preserve clutch/gearbox etc) and sure enough by 60 he pulled half a car length......but then something interesting started to happen....3rd saw me pull him back in and by the top of 4th i had cleanly passed him!!!
think i was more suprised than he was!!!
throw a bend into the equation and it would not even have been that close!!
growing to love my little beast more every day!!!!

Reaction score
Gotta say having owned a CTR & 182...I'm very very surprised with that.

The CTR has quite a bit more top end than the 182.

If he has a custom exhaust, open cone & de-cat without any mapping......it will be slower than std.

Through the corners, I'd say the Trophy would show the CTR it's heals.

Reaction score
Any run in's I've had with CTR's have always shown the CTR to have more top end grunt (Just as I ease off at legal speeds normally) they start to pull. One of my best friends has a facelift 53 with a viper and it's appreciably quicker as soon as you hit 4th. He still wants the trophy though, said that he feels a hundred times more confident in it.

Boxter's on the other hand! Not as quick as I thought after a dual carriageway acceleration test coming back from Gatwick on Sat. Obviously not a world apart, but he still didn't look best pleased. Having amused myself by being weed upon by Boxster S' before I allowed myself a cheeky smile. :)

Reaction score
chiefbadger said:
Any run in's I've had with CTR's have always shown the CTR to have more top end grunt (Just as I ease off at legal speeds normally) they start to pull. One of my best friends has a facelift 53 with a viper and it's appreciably quicker as soon as you hit 4th. He still wants the trophy though, said that he feels a hundred times more confident in it.

Boxter's on the other hand! Not as quick as I thought after a dual carriageway acceleration test coming back from Gatwick on Sat. Obviously not a world apart, but he still didn't look best pleased. Having amused myself by being weed upon by Boxster S' before I allowed myself a cheeky smile. :)

Boxster are easy pickings in a CTR.

Boxster S's like you say are another story. :lol:

Tell your friend to sell his Viper & go back to std airbox whilst saving for a Gruppe M.
The single best performance mod for a CTR :twisted:

Reaction score
I've owned both a CTR and now my Trophy... I can honestly say that in a straight line there is nothing in it... However, the Trophy out corners the CTR quite comfortably. Mine used to understeer quite a lot and pitch heavily. The Trophy doesn't do that at all. It is amazing how much speed you can carry in to a corner and still feel it grip. The CTR would have understeered in to a hedge at speeds which the Trophy is barely trying at.

CTR was more practical mind you and the looks are great. Well they were when I owned one when they first came out in 2001. I had #00268 so it was turning heads all over the place. Nice car at the time, dated now. New one looks interesting for next year. Will take a stonking car to presuade me to change from this one though.

Reaction score
Yeah have to agree i really liked them when they first came out!
mine was def quicker top end............the only thing i can thinkof is as spacemonkey said it was slower cos he needs a remap with the work hes done!

Reaction score
i have owned both too and i used to love revving the Type R to the redline but it did understeer like hell although that was one thing i used to enjoy about it you knew where the limits were and was easily eploitable at sane speeds. now in the trophy you can carry so much more speed into the corners, well as much as you dare but like T7PHy says in the Type R you would have left a Type R sized hole in a bush!

Reaction score
T7PHY said:
I've owned both a CTR and now my Trophy... I can honestly say that in a straight line there is nothing in it... However, the Trophy out corners the CTR quite comfortably. Mine used to understeer quite a lot and pitch heavily. The Trophy doesn't do that at all. It is amazing how much speed you can carry in to a corner and still feel it grip. The CTR would have understeered in to a hedge at speeds which the Trophy is barely trying at.

CTR was more practical mind you and the looks are great. Well they were when I owned one when they first came out in 2001. I had #00268 so it was turning heads all over the place. Nice car at the time, dated now. New one looks interesting for next year. Will take a stonking car to presuade me to change from this one though.

Can I add to this? No. So read it again. :lol:

Reaction score
Mate of my mind has a CTR and last week comimg back from a kart night he never gained and inch from standing start up to about 130 and then he was starting to gain slightly. By then we hit a few corners, roads wet as well and I was a fresh set of PE2s, and the Trophy left him for dead. He could not believe how fast the Trophy was through the bends. Should have read the road tests first as EVO rated the 182 cup way above the CTR.
Blames his steering which has no feel!

Reaction score
stephenhunter said:
Mate of my mind has a CTR and last week comimg back from a kart night he never gained and inch from standing start up to about 130 and then he was starting to gain slightly. By then we hit a few corners, roads wet as well and I was a fresh set of PE2s, and the Trophy left him for dead. He could not believe how fast the Trophy was through the bends. Should have read the road tests first as EVO rated the 182 cup way above the CTR.
Blames his steering which has no feel!

i take it your talking about big johnny???lol......will have to wind him up bout his boat like civic!!!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
my brother in law has a CTR and he can't keep up at all, having said that he's an inexperienced driver so if we swtiched cars i'd still leave him for dead :)

Reaction score
hi irish boy, correct big Johnny. Went kart racing in the wet with him and he spent most of the time on top of the tyres.
Man has a honda ECU in his head!!

Reaction score
I have come up with these cars alot and I am always quicker to about 85mph then the Honda comes by.

SO this guys induction kit and exhaust is not working for him lol.

Reaction score
MrD06 said:
I have come up with these cars alot and I am always quicker to about 85mph then the Honda comes by.

SO this guys induction kit and exhaust is not working for him lol.

Get a re-map, then they never come by... :lol:

Reaction score
If you are on a B road with bends they never get close.

Have you ever noticed the pace you carry on a twisty B road in these Trophys. They seem to cruise at 80 round anything you throw at them.

Reaction score
Except when the fronts are wearing thin and the road is icy. Bloody Hell, gave the TC something to think about coming out of a roundabout just now. I'm going to have to drive it like a normal car until Santa's little helpers fit me some new rubber.

Reaction score
Steve Gunnis said:
Except when the fronts are wearing thin and the road is icy. Bloody Hell, gave the TC something to think about coming out of a roundabout just now. I'm going to have to drive it like a normal car until Santa's little helpers fit me some new rubber.

I thought it was my imagination - the progressive 'slide' towards understeer. Discovered Trophy doesn't like tyres that are near the wear markers, just as well I've a new set to install this week. :D
1st winter with #353 so a bit of a learning curve to negotiate.