Reaction score
out of interest, how does the trophy suspension compare with a clio 182 on aftermarket coilovers say H&R's.

which is likely to perform better.

If nobody knows then I will let you know what the answer is because me and some friends are doing a trackday...obviously my trophy, a 172 cup on H&R's and a 182 on lowering springs are some of the cars going.

which is likely to corner better??

Reaction score
Matt It will depend as much as anything on drivers, tyres and geometry. You will also find that very stiff set-ups suit smooth tracks, whereas for hill climbing and to some extent the road it is essentail to run a much softer set-up. I would estimate from my own experience that the Trophy is a bit stiff for everyday road use, spot on for hills and a bit too 'roly' for the track. So there will not be a definitive answer.

One important issue is that many lowered cars start hitting the bump stops too frequently, and unless they are progressive, and intended to act as part of the nomral suspension travel, this will detract frrom the handling - like seconds per lap!!

Reaction score
As per George's comments. A H&R coilover kit is probably better for the track as it is adjustable and therefore you can achieve a better rebound rate. In my opinion the Trophy suspension is a bit too soft for serious track-day hooliganism but a great every day compromise.

Don't forget that there is always something better (you get what you pay for)... remote adjustable remote oil resevoir dampers come to mind - where you can change the settings on the fly. It'll probably cost half the value of the car though...

Somthing like this comes to mind when I think of good aftermarket suspension:
car_46hrx.jpg

And the marketing blurb: 2-way compression adjuster, which allows you to adjust the low- and high-speed compression damping independently of each circuit. The 2-way compression adjuster is placed on the reservoir end and has a 13 mm hexagon for high-speed adjustment and a screw driver slot for lowspeed adjustment. Maximum compression damping is when the adjusters are fully closed, i.e., when the adjusters are turned fully clockwise.

Droooolllll =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

You get what you pay for....

Cheers
O.

Reaction score
cheers for the comments guys. I shall have to see how the trophy gets on, but if im too slow then the suspension will have to get set up at Mark Fish or somewhere reckon :lol:

really looking forward to it tho.

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
cheers for the comments guys. I shall have to see how the trophy gets on, but if im too slow then the suspension will have to get set up at Mark Fish or somewhere reckon :lol:

My money is on the 172 Cup with Coilovers, sorry. It's a lighter car with, as stated, adjustable suspension designed for track use. Don't forget that the Trophy, although a brilliant fluid track machine was designed for British B-roads, hence the advantage of a progressive bump stop for pot-holed roads and a fairly decent ride at the cost of a bit of body-roll on track.

Lastly, with three cars so similar, it'll be 99% down to the driver. Get some practice on that track, in secret, the week before and you'll cream them all. And read the tyre pressures thread, lower them a bit for more grip at the expense of some tyre wear.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
mate, unless your a noticably worse driver than your friend you won't be too slow.

I've taken the piss out of Scoobies and porsches on track in my unmodded Trophy.... when my improvements have been made i'm gunning for the clio cup cars..

Reaction score
Steve said:
Matt X2C said:

My money is on the 172 Cup with Coilovers, sorry. It's a lighter car with, as stated, adjustable suspension designed for track use. Don't forget that the Trophy, although a brilliant fluid track machine was designed for British B-roads, hence the advantage of a progressive bump stop for pot-holed roads and a fairly decent ride at the cost of a bit of body-roll on track.

Lastly, with three cars so similar, it'll be 99% down to the driver. Get some practice on that track, in secret, the week before and you'll cream them all. And read the tyre pressures thread, lower them a bit for more grip at the expense of some tyre wear.

its all a bit of fun, so we shall see. Not a competitive person, was just wondering what to expect tbh. I've driven on track before and he hasn't so that may play into my hands :D

will check out the tyre pressures thread nearer the time.

Cheers

Reaction score
I've had a play on track with a race prepped 182 that was running Leda's. Needless to say it was really rather quick. It was setup by Mark Fish. He wasn't even getting any understeer! Bastard! Good drive to though.

Reaction score
It's all down to the pilot. I run Leda's and they are fantastic on track because they are fully adjustable. Also work well on the road surprisingly. All comes down to how they are set up.

Mark did mine, and combined with the camber and tracking, the car handles very well.