Reaction score
Hi guys,I know you guys will be biased but why should I pay the extra for a Trophy over a 182FF?I know it's got the sachs but is the cornering ability that much better?Let me know your thoughts and why you went for a Trophy.Cheers.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I went from a ph1 172 to a Trophy and regretted it. Really not worth the expense IMO.

Reaction score
The 182 FF is a great car, has all the luxury bits and missing in the Trophy like climate control, xenon lights and a slightly nicer interior and as you expect identical performance in real world scenarios. The Trophy has exclusivity, Recaro seats and improved handling with the expensive Sachs dampers though you may only notice harder ride if you don't plan to track it. I would say exclusivity is a major factor but if this isn't important to you, then you could do far worse than a 182FF with Cup packs, plus you don't have to worry about refurbing the expensive dampers!

Reaction score
I went from a ph1 172 to a Trophy and regretted it. Really not worth the expense IMO.

Being a limited edition model there is a "special" feeling attached to it IMO. If you get a chance test drive both and justify it for your needs. I personally think there is a big difference in the way they handle but other people may disagree, however there are many owners and ex owners on here that would also agree with me. There is a diff of around 2g in price atm and if you take into consideration the cost of the dampers and the seats it works out about right. The T should hold its value better but the market is all over the shop at the mo (as to be expected tbf). What do you drive atm out of curiosity?
P.S The Trophy model came out of the factory with a different map, resulting in more torque lower down the rev range. Not a great deal more though I must admit.

A good question btw.

Steff

Reaction score
I've got a Megane R26 that is going tomorrow. I've had a 182 before and was a great car.Get the feeling the Trophy will keep it's value though going forward even with the initial extra upfront.

Reaction score
So day to day you don't think I'll notice the difference on a twisty road?

TBH I don't think you will, on a track yes, but for the road, not a huge difference IMO. The suspension geometry between a Trophy and a FF+Cup are identical, with Trophy having better damping. The Trophy is an exclusive limited run of the last 182 and because of this, nearly all are pretty much the same today as the day they rolled off the production line. I'm the 2nd owner of my Trophy which I bought over 4 years ago and I don't intend to sell it anytime soon.

Reaction score
Nice car I should imagine the r26, good power and torque and an LSD to help it. What was it like? Hopefully they will. Just make sure if you do go for a T that the dampers are in good condition as a refurb is a pain (if its a daily car) and £200-300 is not what you want to pay a couple of months down the line.

Happy New Year to all!!!

Reaction score
The R26 is a lovely car. Good performance and looked good in white. The power was almost too easy.

Wouldn't say it was as fun as the 182 or 200 I've had in the past.

Sounds as though I'd be better off going for a RB or LY 182 from what I've heard.

Reaction score
Being a limited edition model there is a "special" feeling attached to it IMO. If you get a chance test drive both and justify it for your needs. I personally think there is a big difference in the way they handle but other people may disagree, however there are many owners and ex owners on here that would also agree with me. There is a diff of around 2g in price atm and if you take into consideration the cost of the dampers and the seats it works out about right. The T should hold its value better but the market is all over the shop at the mo (as to be expected tbf). What do you drive atm out of curiosity?
P.S The Trophy model came out of the factory with a different map, resulting in more torque lower down the rev range. Not a great deal more though I must admit.

A good question btw.

Steff

If that question was for me then I've moved on to a 225 cup and I'm loving having the extra power (270bhp).

That's news to me about the Trophy having a different map to a normal 182. Where did you hear that?

Reaction score
No sorry mate i clicked on the wrong button and realised when it was too late, my mistake.

I thought it was common knowledge as I have read on the forum in posts that the Trophy model had a slightly different mapping set up to smooth out the rpm range. The older 182's having a more aggressive "kick" (if you like) than the trophy. As I do not have proper evidence of this though I might be wrong and if I am I put my hand up and apologise for talking rubbish.

Nice mate fair play. Must be a bit of an animal with that increase good job! Does it torque-steer alot with that much power?

Reaction score
When I had to put cup dampers on mine there was a definate difference. The Sachs are great but a bit of a hassle if they need a refurb.

Reaction score
It must surely also depend where you will drive it, the UK roads are so pot holed, is the 182 non cup a better ride, however if you plan on some European runs, say the Swiss back roads, then the Trophy would be better. equally if you saw both parked in the street, which would you look at.

Reaction score
No sorry mate i clicked on the wrong button and realised when it was too late, my mistake.

I thought it was common knowledge as I have read on the forum in posts that the Trophy model had a slightly different mapping set up to smooth out the rpm range. The older 182's having a more aggressive "kick" (if you like) than the trophy. As I do not have proper evidence of this though I might be wrong and if I am I put my hand up and apologise for talking rubbish.

Nice mate fair play. Must be a bit of an animal with that increase good job! Does it torque-steer alot with that much power?

Lol no bother mate.

Yeah the megane goes along nicely with the power it's got and there's not even a hint of torque steer either. Unbelievably capable car and it's actually quite scary the amount of speed you can carry through a corner compared to the clios.

Reaction score
I'm suprised you have no torque steer.
i have a MK2 FRS and even when it was in totally standard form it still used to pull all over the road, I know some ways it adds to the character but in another light it often spoilt the fun side of driving it.

few tweeks soon conquered it tho, and then it was off for the 400bhp setup.

in ref to the 182 v Trophy, I certainly noticed a difference between our 182 Cup and then the Trophy, the trophy seems to me to be a little bit firmer, along with the different stance.
but the car was only driven limited miles before I started to pull it apart for its trackday treats.

Reaction score
in ref to the 182 v Trophy, I certainly noticed a difference between our 182 Cup and then the Trophy, the trophy seems to me to be a little bit firmer, along with the different stance.
but the car was only driven limited miles before I started to pull it apart for its trackday treats.

Firmer in a good way? Was it better to drive in your opinion?

Reaction score
I'm suprised you have no torque steer.
i have a MK2 FRS and even when it was in totally standard form it still used to pull all over the road, I know some ways it adds to the character but in another light it often spoilt the fun side of driving it.

few tweeks soon conquered it tho, and then it was off for the 400bhp setup.

You will be running a lot more torque than my megane does though I assume. I have the torque capped at 300 ftlbs as the standard con rods are made if cheese but if since had Manley forged rods fitted so I could probably get it pushed around 320/330 ftlbs.

Reaction score
I had a mint 28,000 mile 182 FF for 12 months before I bought my Trophy (which has done nearly 50,000 miles now) and in my opinion the difference between the two is HUGE.
The Trophy is a much more focused and sharper handling car. The turn-in is quicker and sharper, it feels to grip harder and is certainly more stable in higher speed corners on A-roads and the way it damps a bumpy B-road is in a different class from the 182 FF. Bumps on my favourite local roads that caught my 182 out and made it jump are just effectively dealt with in the Trophy which gives you a huge amount of confidence. The weight difference is noticeable too. It picks up better from lower revs. I don't know if this is the same for everyone either but my Trophy revs to just over 7,000 and gives a little more at the top but my 182 FF didn't.
This is obviously just my experience and the Trophy does have its irritations, for example it can be very stiff over bumps at low speeds sometimes and it doesn't have the xenon’s (which I miss) and other bits the 182 FF has.
I suppose it depends what you want. The 182 FF is undoubtedly an easier car to live with because its softer and has more kit but if it’s the best drivers car you are after the Trophy wins hands down. If that’s what you want I can't recommend buying the Trophy over the 182 FF enough. Best swap I ever did.