Reaction score
I'm just wondering for those people that have gone from 182/172 variants to the Trophy if you notice the Trophy is snappier?

I'm still not fully use to mine due to the conditions and lack of opportunities to really test the handling. I've noticed you need to work harder to keep the Trophy in line, on the road and requires more skill to drive on the limit?

Maybe its just me, but right now it definitely feels like a different car in the corners, maybe I've lost some confidence I'm not sure. Perhaps I'm taking the corners that bit faster in the Trophy compared to my old cupped 182 and this is a result of pushing the Trophy to its limits? This includes quite a bit of under steer on the limit, probably due to greasy roads.

The other main thing I notice is that the Trophy follows the road more than my old 182, for example the canvas on the road or bumps, pot holes etc it will move towards.

Or maybe I'm not being fair here and judging the Trophy in less than ideal conditions and wait until the summer to get the most out of the handling? I did have plenty of time to get use to my old car so maybe its just time?

Please help :)

Reaction score
I find the Trophy feels tighter than the 182ff did, especially when turning into a corner - but I have also noticed that it follows the camber of the road quite severely.

One thing I did find that made an unbelieveable difference was getting my Exalto's renewed, the difference between worn and new ones is like night and day, felt like a new car.

Reaction score
the trophy definately does follow potholes and cambers more, but having mates with just about every variant of the CS 172 and 182 range, just by driving them even slowly you can tell just how much more direct the trophy is, without a doubt!

oh and don't forget the pin removal trick which helps too :wink:

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I do have new tyres on the car and only bought it in December so doubt the tracking is out.. it seems fine.

I think its probably me needing to get used to the car more to tell the truth.

:)

Reaction score
I like your choice of words: 'snappier' or 'tighter'. Only I would say that the Trophy is MASSIVELY snappier and tighter. Even in a straight line the feedback to the wheel is just unbelievably clear and direct, which does have the disadvantage (very slight, imo) of causing tramlining on poor surfaces. If it didn't have the lovely 182 engine you could think it is a totally different car to previous models.

Agree with Dave about the tyres. When worn the Exaltos deteriorate v quickly and the front end becomes very slippery. Can be a bit of a surprise if you're not ready for it.

Hoolio must be right about checking the tracking too. I'll get that looked at during next service in about 3 months time.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
As people have already said i found it a lot snappier compared to my old 172 Cup. The turn in and response through the wheel is fantasic and once you get used to the Trophy you'll find you'll take corners and roundabouts a lot quicker. It took me a while to feel confident in the Trophy but its alot better driving "on the edge" then the 172 Cup was.

I agree with everyone saying about tramlining etc. It can sometimes snatch if your not holding the wheel tight enough but thats part of the Trophy experieince. Saying that though when accelerating in my old cup that sometimes felt as if it wanted to throw you off the road into the nearest ditch.

I think when summer comes and you can push the Trophy that little bit more you will see the difference between the two 182's.

Reaction score
I know what you mean about certain Trophys feeling unsettlingly skittish even in a straight line, but I've never compared knowing tyre tread and thought about the weather conditions. Certainly, as the Exaltos get worn the handling does go off somewhat.

However, this car: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0209848620 has the Mark Fish set up and is on 75% plus worn front tyres. It exhibits none of these characteristics. Great to drive!

Reaction score
Hmm, wouldn't have said the handling goes off, more that the limit of grip at the front occurs a bit sooner than you expect and also would say it happens when the tread is almost on the markers i.e. more than 75% worn.

Would like to try a Mark Fish modified car to compare.....

Reaction score
I think the dampers play a big part in the difference. I unpinned mine at the weekend and when you stiffen them up the turn in gets a bit hyperactive :D

Reaction score
^^ did you do it yourself? If so can I ask how? I'm keen to do mine but everyone says to get someone to do it.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
it's easy to do, but if you find the grub screw hard to budge, leave well alone as it's probably been glued by Reno, the swines.

Reaction score
Mine was pretty easy to do. Just find the grub screw in the side of the red dial and undo with a 2mm allen key. Gently lever the dial off making sure you don't lose the 2 ball bearings underneath. Knock the retaining pin through just enough so that it doesn't interfere with the ball bearing movement underneath. Refit.

I didn't even take the wheels off. Just jacked it up enough to reach under the arches.

Be warned though. As Cue says, other people have been unlucky with this. Either the grub screws have been glued in, or the pin has been fixed through the grub screw. Do a search for previous threads. If this is the case then I would suggest getting help.