Reaction score
Nipped out today at about 2 o'clockish, just to go to the shops. So the tyres didn't have any time to warm up (engine running at full temp), anyway i was just coming up to a roundabout to double back on myself, went in to the roundabout nothing crazy normal speed and the car just started goin sideways,it would have just 180'd if i hadn't corrected it.I thought fairplay just one of those random things, then at the next roundabout (abot 70 mtres down the road) went on to the roundabout and was just coming of when the back end just decieded to disapear. Was all good fun, just a little random as i was driving like miss daisy was in the car.

Is this because of the combination of poor road conditions/cold tyres and the sachs dampers being pretty solid?

Anyone else experienced any random un-predicted back end moments

Reaction score
Not in the Trophy, but my other half's having a very scary time in her old MX5 at the mo. Considering buying us skidpan training next year - anyone done this?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I like them salting the roads only slightly less than them not salting, very greasy.

Reaction score
I've noticed it's harder to keep the Trophy on the road driving normally than my old cuped FF 182 on poor roads. Maybe thats the suspension?

Might just of been some grease on the road in your case?

Reaction score
I had a fruity sideways moment this morning too! Was only 5 mins into my journey to work so the tyres werent warm and the road was very cold! Was interesting to say the least!

Reaction score
Tbh I haven't had my CUP'd FF 182 out in the cold nip yet, but it's a bit hairy on the scooter into work.

Be careful guys :D

Reaction score
One thing's for sure, you can kiss goodbye to fast standing starts at this time of year!!

Reaction score
Johnnytheboy said:
Not in the Trophy, but my other half's having a very scary time in her old MX5 at the mo. Considering buying us skidpan training next year - anyone done this?

Hee hee, I'm having great fun at the moment in the MX-5, it's a joke! It has four different tyres, none of them costing more than £40 new and in this weather it's like driving a riverboat, you can hang the back out on corners at about 15 mph, I literally have to drive it a quarter of the speed of the Integra, where I give it a bit of throttle into corners just to give it something to do.

Trophy shouldn't do this, only time I ever breached the limits was on the fronts when they were worn, slight understeer and when I went into a bend with about 30mph too much in the South of France because I was too busy looking in the rear view mirror at the Megane I'd just overtaken. Had to brake deep into the corner and the back came around, ESP kicked in and staightened the car just in time for me to put it back on the right (wrong) side of the road and not hit the lorry coming the other way. My girlfiend now whinces at every corner I go into at more than Granny speed. :roll:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
if it was an adhesion issue - rubber v road, then you'd notice understeer not oversteer, could be your driving style - you do maintain a constant throttle, brake or lift off mid corner?

If the rears are worn you may find them braking traction before the front also. I've not noticed anything because of the cold but i don't push on icy roads unless it's in a straight line - bit of oversteer is always fun though.

Reaction score
Stevo said:
I've noticed it's harder to keep the Trophy on the road driving normally than my old cuped FF 182 on poor roads. Maybe thats the suspension?

Might just of been some grease on the road in your case?

^^ i did think this,they have gone a bit mental with the grtting round my way,but .i'm lucky enough at the moment to have a 2nd car to run about in, so 474 is going to be tucked up in the garage until next year.

Reaction score
from November to January I turn into a 75 year old Sunday driver and save my fun for trackdays in the new year :) why risk binning it for a quick corner on a slippery road? Trophys still look good goin slowly lol :p

Reaction score
Skid training's value cannot be underestimated.

I spent a 1/2 day exclusively at the Silverstone Skid Car facility 2 years ago and I can honestly say that although it was expensive I have saved several times the cost in avoiding accidents and controlling skids..............

In case you were wondering my driving on the road isnt usually that hairy the savings have occoured on track!

Skills req'd to save a front wheel drive car are fairly different to a rwd one so it's certainly better/cheaper to learn them in a skid car rather than your race or road car.

Summary, skid training: Expensive but worth it in the short term, cheap in the long term.

Reaction score
I had a moment last night on the way home from Chertsey :shock:

The tyres were warmed up & the road looked dry & frost free & wasn't driving quick,, but the back end decided to step out mid corner. Was easily rectified, but it did take me by surprise.
Thats Spec II's + cold tarmac for you.

Reaction score
My F1s seem to be going fine in the cold/damp. No issues this end, although am taking it a bit steadier tbh.

Reaction score
My fronts are coming towards the end of their tread...loosing grip at the front end guaranteed off the lights just about everywhere at the mo'...especially at 3500 RPM.....traction control working quite hard......bring on the summer. Might put it away until March and use my J reg Micra!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Have been behaving myself and taking it easy but when a carrera 4s pulled up alongside this morning I couldnt help giving it some, to see if I could keep up. Damn it was slippy, my traction control light went nuts and the Porsche covered me in a cloud of grit
:oops:

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'm wary of porkies after one beat me on the a38, i had him in sight for a mile or so but as the drag co-efficient became important i was mullered.

after that i thought better of it as it was a 964 not even a 993 or younger.... :oops:

On track it's a different question though :D

Reaction score
Cars not to chase in this wheather are Scoobs (STI), Evo VII and above, any porsche......we should be able to show a clean pair of heals to Civic type R's and a couple of days ago I out gunned an Astra VXR.....even on a slimy surface :twisted: Still, I need to put it away, before I loose the car in a hedge!