Reaction score
So around the £500 plus mark at a guesstimate, mmm I suppose it's one of the neccesities of buying a Trophy though, thanks for the info folks.

Reaction score
Mine has gone in today for their 2nd rebuild in only 36,000 miles. The drivers side has no gap on the reservoir and as Ben tested it, has way too much bounce in the suspension.

Hoping the cost is not too horrendous, and no damage to the shafts has occurred. As they were rebuilt in Oct 2010, and I have only covered 12k in it since, Ben has said they will contribute 50% of the rebuild cost (equating to £170+ VAT). Then there's the cost to remove and refit dampers/springs at £180+VAT (seems a bit steep!) I took the car down to them to get it checked out rather than post the dampers themselves, as I was unsure as to whether they were in need of a rebuild, again.

See this thread for the clonking noise coming from my suspension...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10688&p=92583#p92583

Reaction score
I had mine done last month by BG, cost me £700 but did have to replace a piston and he did the removal and refit for me.
I had made contact with Aurok back before Easter to make arrangements for mine and get quote, after a few emails said that they couldn't get the parts time after Easter and would contact me then. I didn't hear anything back.
I also spoke to Paul Drake, he was helpful and said he could do each side at around £100 each. he did however warn me that if any parts needed replacing that he wouldn't be able to do it as 'sachs' would only deal with their reps, he would have to send then to BG to get them done. I decided to just go straight to BG as i felt it more straight forward if there was a problem with anything, turns out for me it was best thing as piston needed changing.
Each to their own i guess.

Oh an having the re-build done has done nothing to sort out the creaking noise i get when pulling away from stationary or when at low speed turning like parking.

Reaction score
Just got mine back from BG.
I just have one question, how much do people screw down the compression nut on the top of the strut? (the one below the top mount that holds the suspension together)
Before mine were refurbed one was about an inch and the other was a lot less.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Well, after 6 months it looks like one of mine is fucked again. I've contacted ben regrading the issue so I'll wait to see what he says about warranty and cost. The damper hasn't leaked oil or lost gas pressure, its just VERY bouncy and soft, which makes a knocking noise over potholes etc in the road.

Annoyed frankly as in 6months they should not fail (covered 5k) after spending in the region of £700 on them!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well, after 6 months it looks like one of mine is fucked again. I've contacted ben regrading the issue so I'll wait to see what he says about warranty and cost. The damper hasn't leaked oil or lost gas pressure, its just VERY bouncy and soft, which makes a knocking noise over potholes etc in the road. Annoyed frankly as in 6months they should not fail (covered 5k) after spending in the region of £700 on them!
Hi,In a similar position although mine were refurbed in May 2010.Ben was quick to respond and re-booked for end of Feb. Without inspection hard for him to say what is wrong I guess.No warranty on any of his work sadly, although cases like this I'm sure he will compromise on cost.Seems a little odd how these are all coming up together, perhaps cold weather / salt to blame?

Reaction score
Yeah in my initial email to him he did say they don't cover the work, but he would pay a contribution to the price. 20months is maybe a little more acceptable but 6months is not IMO, its not like the dampers have covered many miles in that time either as it only gets used at weekends. Its not been driven in the past month either :(

When you hear more about it, could you let me know roughly how much it has cost and what the issue was?

Reaction score
Well, after 6 months it looks like one of mine is fucked again. I've contacted ben regrading the issue so I'll wait to see what he says about warranty and cost. The damper hasn't leaked oil or lost gas pressure, its just VERY bouncy and soft, which makes a knocking noise over potholes etc in the road.

Annoyed frankly as in 6months they should not fail (covered 5k) after spending in the region of £700 on them!

Gazza experienced something similar - Mark Fish was looking after his car, he ended up dealing with BG - the upshot was they were refurbed again for no fee

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Gazza experienced something similar - Mark Fish was looking after his car, he ended up dealing with BG - the upshot was they were refurbed again for no fee

Oh - was not aware of this! Any idea how long it was since they were last refurbed? Will be interesting to know this as could without this extra cost. There seem to be more cases than I thought so will be interesting to see what transpires from this and other cases.

Jon G - will keep you posted on my dampers when they are stripped down.

Reaction score
There seems to be a common problem here ? the original factory fit shocks seem to out last any having under gone a refurb.

My near side has covered 72K and is starting to knock over bumps,the off side still ok(was changed within the 3yr warranty at 40K )

Your thoughts on this?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Very good question, and I did advise BG that I had only had mine refurbed to prong their life. Probably would have last much longer without touching them!

The big problem we have here is there are only a few of us on here (and in the Motorsport industry) who have some knowledge of the internals of these dampers (I am not one of them). If you have some knowledge of them (see Mark Fish comments in previous reply) it is undoubtedly going to help your case in getting them repaired FOC or at a fraction of the normal refurb cost.

Do any of us know what a service actually entails?

Following the success with the Sachs stickers from Renault, it would be interesting to find out some information from Sachs themselves on the likely duration of the life of a damper after refurb.

Reaction score

Cheers for that, I might get in contact with Mark as well and see if he can give any advice.

Oh - was not aware of this! Any idea how long it was since they were last refurbed? Will be interesting to know this as could without this extra cost. There seem to be more cases than I thought so will be interesting to see what transpires from this and other cases.

Cheers

With these that have gone, had they all been unpinned or not. Mine were unpinned at the service and only did the service because the damper was soft on one side. I believe it was the same side that has failed once again.

Reaction score

This is what Gazza commented last July, "My dampers both failed in under a year and BG sorted them for nothing only last week. On mine there were no visible signs of a problem but gas had escaped from cracks in the reservoir body."

From memory, I don't think Gazza got to the bottom of the cause but having MF deal with BG seemed to make a difference i.e. you couldn't bull$hit him!

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Like most people im alittle worried about this as i will be sending a set of sachs away to BG motorsport to get a refurb.
I now have a contact where i can get intouch with sachs UK and get some answers so that is what i will be doing now.

Await the reply.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers for that, I might get in contact with Mark as well and see if he can give any advice.

Cheers

With these that have gone, had they all been unpinned or not. Mine were unpinned at the service and only did the service because the damper was soft on one side. I believe it was the same side that has failed once again.

For your info - mine were unpinned.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
This is what Gazza commented last July, "My dampers both failed in under a year and BG sorted them for nothing only last week. On mine there were no visible signs of a problem but gas had escaped from cracks in the reservoir body."

From memory, I don't think Gazza got to the bottom of the cause but having MF deal with BG seemed to make a difference i.e. you couldn't bull$hit him!

Shame he couldn't do a refurb himself as he seems to know what he is doing! It's a real shame there is no competition really as the refurb charge per damper just seems to keep rising (they were originally £140 + VAT per side, now £170 + VAT per side)

is1

Reaction score
Shame he couldn't do a refurb himself as he seems to know what he is doing! It's a real shame there is no competition really as the refurb charge per damper just seems to keep rising (they were originally £140 + VAT per side, now £170 + VAT per side)

Doesn't Paul Drake at Gould Engineering (I think) do them if it is a straightforward service that is required? I recall seeing something in the region of £100 per side earlier in this thread.
I reckon there are loads of other motorsport companies that could do this service, it's just that no-one has had the time/energy to visit one and actually talk to someone about it.
Total Control Racing in West Mids prep Clio Cup cars (including Nicolas Hamilton's), they must know someone who can rebuild race-spec suspension or even do it themselves.
If it was circa £100 per side, I wouldn't mind getting them done every couple of years as a matter of routine maintenance but at £500 plus, you'd pretty much expect them to have the integrity of a new one.

I have my spare set requiring a refurb and am wondering whether to try Paul Drake or someone else just for the hell of it to see what they can do.