Reaction score
Last August I paid just shy of £700 for the service, one piston replaced and them unpinned. Just an idea of cost for you and anyone looking.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
At first I was very I take this matter extremely seriously and am looking hard into how this could of possibly happened. annoyed about how my damper has failed, however after talking to mark I believe that he is offering his best service to rectify my problem (and anybody else's). I am filled with confidence that Mark will do his up most to ensure that the service he originally provided is followed through.

It has been seen in a few cases of failed dampers after servicing that Mark has either paid part or fully for a fresh refurbish of the said failed damper, which are his and our rights.

I obviously was annoyed at first, but I don't want it to seem as if I am slating the work they do as they are profession and their turn around time is excellent.

I'm confused here, you are mentioning Mark a lot, are you talking about Mark Fish? Did he remove and service your dampers?

Reaction score
I had mine refurbished by Aurok end of Novemebr 2010, now my passenger side sounds and feels as if its on its way out (I may be being paranoid however)

Has anybody else dealt with aurok? unfortunately mine was done through stealthsport which i believe now cease to exist.

Cheers

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Oh dear similar position to me.

Not sure if any others have used those to be honest.

Have been in email discussion with Ben and think I may have upset him slightly. His responses have been professional throughout and feel that I can trust him with my dampers to rectify them.

He is now aware of the price drop in brand new dampers and agreed that it was down to the owner whether they opt for new ones or not. With mine having the adjusters replaced it is not economically
Viable for new ones, especially if he is flexible with pricing on second refurb.

On another note have a guy who is willing to take a look at a Sachs unit so if anyone is willing to send one away please let me know. He has a dynamometer too and has very competitive rates. Not trying to detract people away from BG, merely looking for a second opinion in the event that things go wrong again.

Thanks

Reaction score
Unfortunately Gould are unable to help:

Sorry Dan,

We don't service dampers (and we never have).

All the best, David

From my investigations, it wasnt Gould that did mine:

Right, just rang Gould to find out.

The suspension was most likely refurbed by chap called Paul Drake who runs Raceline Suspension & rents space in their workshop, he is an authorised Koni repair centre & all round suspension guru. It was him that did my refurb apparently.

Contact Details are:

Raceline Suspension, Unit 7, Arnhem Road, Bone Lane Industrial Area, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 5RU
Paul Drake - 07759 438510

I have no idea about him, or his work though.

But if my dampers werent refurbed by him 10k ago, they have now done 182k lol.

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Been following this thread with interest....
Im not yet an owner of a trophy,
But i have had good reports of this chap who does damper rebuilds...
See linky,,
http://www.igracing.co.uk/index.html
A VERY good mate of mine who races in the Porsche club champs has had his dampers rebuilt here and speaks very highly of them....

Just thought some of you might be interersted...

PS ,, i dont want to tread on anybodies toes here.

Reaction score
While they may do damper rebuilds they wont be able to get hold of any SACHS parts if they are needed. BG are the SOLE traders of SACHS in the UK, as far as I know.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
While they may do damper rebuilds they wont be able to get hold of any SACHS parts if they are needed. BG are the SOLE traders of SACHS in the UK, as far as I know.

This is indeed the stumbling block.

My contact knows BG and wondered about the position with sourcing parts via him rather than from Sachs direct. Not sure why you cannot order the parts from them direct as they are making money! (not looked into this yet)

In terms of seals these can be easily made so i've read. All we need is one spare damper to strip down to see what's involved. I guess if the damper has major internal damage the problem would be best left to Ben.

I have no idea what work is involved in a refurb nor part prices, but from speaking to other companies they have advised that £100 per side is about the going rate (unless piston damage, etc)

Big Dave

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.

Ok. i didnt realise that.
But im guessing a phone call wouldnt hurt...Who knows he might just be able to get some parts...
Only trying to help out....

Reaction score
This is indeed the stumbling block.

My contact knows BG and wondered about the position with sourcing parts via him rather than from Sachs direct. Not sure why you cannot order the parts from them direct as they are making money! (not looked into this yet)

In terms of seals these can be easily made so i've read. All we need is one spare damper to strip down to see what's involved. I guess if the damper has major internal damage the problem would be best left to Ben.

I have no idea what work is involved in a refurb nor part prices, but from speaking to other companies they have advised that £100 per side is about the going rate (unless piston damage, etc)

Possibly 100 a side for a standard damper with just oil damping, but as these are gas as well i will safely assume it would take longer and with that the price would of course rise.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Ok. i didnt realise that.
But im guessing a phone call wouldnt hurt...Who knows he might just be able to get some parts...
Only trying to help out....

And it's appreciated. The main problem has always been that there are no other Sachs approved engineers so no competition and prices that I just do not understand. Back in 2008 before BG were even on the scene a guy known as Racecardoctor was handling any problems and I spoke to him and this was an email I received from one of his contacts:

That looks like the seal between the remote reservoir and the damper body – a 2p part

Ben Fricker.
Damper Tech.

BG MOTORSPORT.

This has always made me wonder where the £5-600 prices come from.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
A couple of e-mail from sachs regarding the suspension and BG.
Looks like BG are the only company in teh UK that have any links with the renault sachs suspension. Even sachs cant help me.
The first 2 e-mails are from Sachs UK and the third e-mail is from Germany.
---------------------------------------

Hi Marc,
Sachs only ever supplied these shocks to Renault as oe parts they have never been released to us in the aftermarket. The sachs race engineering products are very good but we have no info on them, even though they are part of our company we are unable to buy these products. BG motorsport are sachs race engineering sales partner for shocks in the uk but as they are not a customer of ours I cannot tell you anything about them only what you already know from the internet. I am not sure about warranty you would have to contact BG motorsport on that one and the same on the stickers Sorry I cannot be of more help.

Craig Pearson

---------------------------------------

Marc,

As I stated in my first email we are unable to purchase any sachs race engineering parts they are a separate part of the zf business. There are lots of politics and reasons for this but they dictate this to us. We have been asked numerous times in the past for these shocks but they were only ever produced for renault and we have been asked for the stickers as well and we had the same answer. If you get them reworked by bg motorsport they may be able to get the stickers but I would be surprised if you will get them and as far as im aware bg motorsport is the only sachs race engineering sales agent for shocks in the uk.

Regards Craig

-----------------------------------------
Dear Marc,

Thanks for your inquiry.
Unfortunately, we´ve also no information about the Clio Trophy suspension resp. companies
in the UK who could rebuild that suspensions.
We´re Distributor of ZF Sachs Race Engineering clutches and coilover suspensions only.

Have a try at the tech support of the factory itself.
The support email-address of ZF Sachs is: techsupport.zf-services@zf.com
Good Luck! :)

Kind Regards from Hamburg/Germany,

Magdalena Skawianczyk
Sales

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Possibly 100 a side for a standard damper with just oil damping, but as these are gas as well i will safely assume it would take longer and with that the price would of course rise.

Not sure I agree, if you look at an Ohlins service agent you will understand my point. A quick search and it appears these shocks adsorbers contain oil and gas (would imagine Motorsport dampers include both?)

Reaction score
Hey folks I am purchasing a 182 trophy at the weekend with 65k the dampers have never been done and the near side has slight bounce
Dose this Jst reduse performance or it's it enough to fail an m.o.t.

Reaction score
They would only fail if they have negligible damping effect or visible signs of leaks,but they will check one against the other.

Reaction score
Is there any adjustment to solve this or is recon the only way?
And if I was to drive on road with this shock will it noticeably affect the handling?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes it could fail MOT but probably unlikely unless they are clearly leaking as they won't know too much about them. Yes it will affect the handling pretty massively and there is no other recourse other than to service it preferably both at the same time. Also by driving on it there is the possibility of further damage to damper and spring.

Good luck!

Reaction score

Hey folks I am purchasing a 182 trophy at the weekend with 65k the dampers have never been done and the near side has slight bounce
Dose this Jst reduse performance or it's it enough to fail an m.o.t.

Fair enough. Yes, there are obviously other dampers on the market with both oil and gas damping. I just wasn't sure if you had been quoted for that, or just a standard oil damper.

Is there any adjustment to solve this or is recon the only way?
And if I was to drive on road with this shock will it noticeably affect the handling?

I can only echo what hoolio said, You will notice it and driving it on the poor UK roads will no doubt make it worse causing a knocking noise from the damper itself. You're best to factor in the service cost of approx £500 + £150 per damper if they are scored.