Reaction score
I really missed the Trophy when it went and I reckon it's faster on country roads than my RS, but after a few months I can happily say that car life does exist after a Trophy. The sound of the Focus is mighty and it still makes me smile when I see it. The torque is amazing, overtaking can be safely done in fifth as I demonstrated to Mrs Corneyman last Sunday on our way back from Harrogate.

Reaction score
Ben just get a motorbike and use it for trackdays, it'll cost you half the price of getting a track car ready you can ride them to tracks so you don't have to piss about with trailers etc... and once you learn how to ride properley you'll be lapping miles faster than practically any car out there. Plus anyone who rides bikes will tell you it's a far more rewarding experience than driving a car fast.

That way you can keep the trophy.

I visited RStuning at the weekend and they had a subaru dyno day going on and low and behold 480bhp.com was there so I was having a bit chat with him and even he admitted that his trophy was a better all rounder (and faster on track) than his 302bhp impreza sti.

Reaction score
Max said:
Kitting a car for track work is bloody expensive, my Dad and went halfs on a '02 MX-5 early last year. At £3500 the car was a bit of a bargain as I got it from auction, since then we've spent around £5000 on making it a competant track car. It's quite scary how much a project can get carried away, the worst thing is, it's no where near finished. We are playing with the idea of supercharging it at the moment, to do it properly so it will (hopefully) be reliable you're looking at £4000. Before you know it you have well over £10,000 in a car that is realistically worth £5-6000 on the market.
Saying all that, creating and running a car on track is HUGELY enjoyable, I would quite happily sacrifice running something nice on the road to have something nice to run on track days.

BenG said:
Max - What car are you thinking of getting rid of the Trophy for ??

If I did sell the T I'd be after something a bit softer with effortless power. I quite fancy an Impreza with a few choice mods. I think every car enthusiast should have something Japanese, four wheel drive and turbocharged at some point.

Are you Grandad on Nutz?
I got beat to the 280bhp fm2 monster #-o

Reaction score
I feel the same guys! Some days I think about changing it whilst other times I think I'd be foolish too! I have a second car which I use from time to time mostly for rallying, hillclimbs or track days, so I wouldn't need the T for any of that as I've already spent a fortune on that car! and really don't need a second track vehicle. I thought about changing the Trophy for something a little more refined like an R32. I've also toyed with the idea of an Evo VIII fq300 but running costs are usually quite hugh on those. I've also had a test drive in an R26.R which was mighty impressive and the only thing I've been in that handles like the T! But for an everyday road car I really couldn't justify that! and God only knows what my girlfriend would say! lol. There's also the side of me that thinks a oil burner would be a wise choice.

I've also thought about keeping the Trophy for a while and maybe keeping it as a second car in the future, only for weekends and that, as it's most definitely a future classic and one that will be worth quite a few £'s in a few years.

Reaction score
The Golf GTI is a bit of an old mans car sorry. The R20 on the other hand! :D

Reaction score
Hi Guys - Basically Im new to the forum but I am on the lookout for a new car ( I have to wait till May Insurance reason )Blah!
Gives me time to save up abit more.

Im in two minds I went and test drove the 182 the other day Dont think it was the cup version but I fell in love straight away !

Anyhow back to point - Max you say you live in Skipton - Does suppose youve seen another Trophy kicking about ?Or you the only owner in the area.?

(Just found out theres another guy called Ron who owns one in Skipton.)

But anyhow - Im undecided to what to go for - The 182s loads of them about but just trying to find thats in good nick -

Or do I save abit more and try and find a Trophy.

Or do I try and go for a F1 197 Clio.

Although I read mixed reviews about the Clio 197s but to me they do look nice however it doesnt give me the excitement that when I see the 182's. But like I say its finding one thats been looked after and in good nick.

Also Is there someone on here who drive a trophy who went through York on Friday night on the Bridlington Road heading out of York?

Reaction score
mada88 said:
The Golf GTI is a bit of an old mans car sorry. The R20 on the other hand! :D

You're possibly right. Saying that, EVO thoroughly enjoyed their longtermer. Have you driven one?

Max

Reaction score
g40steve said:
Are you Grandad on Nutz?

Ha ha! Small world! I thought I'd seen you on there, you're looking for a FI '5?
Grandad is my Dad, we're in MX-5 ownership together, he's caused a good few 'heated' disscusions on there.
We were very interested in that car too, we planned to look at it the weekend it came up but it sold before then, I think it was a good buy at £6k.

Ben, what track car are you planning on?

Reaction score
Max said:
g40steve said:
Are you Grandad on Nutz?

Ha ha! Small world! I thought I'd seen you on there, you're looking for a FI '5?
Grandad is my Dad, we're in MX-5 ownership together, he's caused a good few 'heated' disscusions on there.
We were very interested in that car too, we planned to look at it the weekend it came up but it sold before then, I think it was a good buy at £6k.

Rodders took me round Oulton in his mk3 race car, he then toook me round in the white car.
It was almost undriveable on the wet track, sideways everywhere, unsticking tyres in all gears.
On dry track it's almost unbeatable.
I was having 2nd dibs on it :roll:

Reaction score
I too get this same feeling every now and then. I think what does it for me is seeing all these people commuting daily in their Focus and Golfs, comfy (er) suspension and soundproofed doors etc, especially with the current state the roads are in cheshire and the rest of the country for that matter. Clearly, this all fades once on a nice B-road. I have a couple of other mates running CTRs, Astri GSi turbs and a 172 Cup, and none of them hold a candle to the T on the back lanes (save the Cup).

Problem for me at the moment is cost. I am trying to save for a house deposit with my lovely lady and although 007 doesnt cost loads to run, bits and bobs cost money. For instance, this year 007 will need the cam/aux belts doing at some point (though i am some way off 72k ATM), tyres are always a pain at £100/corner, front discs £70, rear discs £130... all mounts up!

I would condiser selling 007 for a decent price (with T700 PHY reg plate) and maybe pocket a couple of k and get a runabout for anything below £4,500.

Breaking the bond isnt going to be easy, mind

Reaction score
All cars cost money to run even those costing < £4500. At least you have a good idea of what the T is going to cost you in the future.

Reaction score
I have missed all the cars I have owned for different reasons.

But I am glad I have owned them all. If you change try to get something really different - Scooby, M3, M5, 2 Seater.

Dont just get another hot hatch or else comparisons wont be favourable. You can always come back to another RenaultSport in future. I'm sure the will still be making them my cycle has been.

Something Crazy (cost me to much & is impracticle)
Something French ( Practical & Fun but Rattly)
Something BMW (Well built but a little boring)

Then repeat.