Max

Reaction score
I've had my Trophy for over 3 years now and I love it, it's the longest I've kept a car out of choice (I once had a 106 diesel for a lot longer when I was a poor student). When I'm being sensible I plan on keeping it forever as I truely think it will be a special motor in years to come, I think the prices will harden and in the distant future I think they could actually appreciate in value.

But, every 4 months or so I get an almost irresistable urge to sell up and move on. I've had this recently, the only reason it's not listed in the classifieds now is because the dampers need doing. There are so many cars out there I would love to own, but after running something else for a few months I know I would kick myself for letting a great example of a hot hatch classic go.

Please tell me I'm not alone in being totally obsessed by cars.....

Cheers, Max.

Reaction score
you are not alone.... i'm soon too be 32 and musta had as many cars in the time i've drove so many its scary at some point it was a new car every 6 months... BUT i must agree on the Trophy its a great lil car i'm smitten its going now where its gunna have some cash spent on it and kept even if i get summit else the Trophy is a top 10 listed car and a future classic... KEEP THE T

Reaction score
I get like this sometimes because you get use to the car.

I find taking a similar car for a test drive often makes you appreciate how good the Trophy is.

I suppose it depends on what type of car you want but you won't beat the Trophy pound for pound, running costs for the performance, rawness and fun.

I could go on but I'm sure you know this yourself, we just need reminding of this sometimes :)

Reaction score
I have a go in my brothers fiesta ST to remind me how good the T is. I also think any new car has all the safety aspects that the mk 2 Clio doesn't have which adds weight and boringness (it is a word, I made it up)

I'm sure you could get something quicker now, the 200 cup is possibly quicker. But will it feel as raw, and therefore as fun as a T, I doubt it (for me anyway)

Reaction score
Being attached to something seems crazy at times doesn't it?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i get these same urges... i drive something else and as soon as i get back in the T i'm reminded of why i have no need to sell... it does everything i need of a car..

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Max ive been having the same temptation for a while now. It happens every couple of weeks, I feel I need to drive something a bit different but secretly know I will miss the Trophy and end up wanting it back before long. One day I think I have decided to sell it then the next day I get in it and realise im being an idiot.
I have decidede to sell the Trophy now anyways as im going to build a track car but thats another story and wont happen until later on in the year. The downside to this is I will sell the Trophy and not be able to attend or organize car meets and wont be able to go blasting throught the Lakes, something the Trophy does so well and I absolutely love. I still dont know whether I am making the right decision ? Its just deep down I know I will miss the Trophy no matter what I do.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
That's a shame Ben, is there no way, now that you have the T sorted and have no need to spend a huge amount on it, that you can't fund a build over a period of time and keep it.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
The thing is a track only car will require a car trailer and a vehicle to tow it, thats is where the money from the Trophy will go. Also im 23 next and should be thinking about getting a place of my own soon :( . Im waiting for a house to come up for sale next to the land where my 'new' workshop is being built, plenty of oldies living there so im hoping it wont be long :twisted: .

Reaction score
I want a BMW seven series. I'm not sure it has any downsides so far. As fast as the T, better sound insulation, better stereo and toys, people can come with you and its well damped. Anyone had one by any chance?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:
The thing is a track only car will require a car trailer and a vehicle to tow it, thats is where the money from the Trophy will go.

Ah, I forget that kind of stuff as I can always beg and borrow it if I need, though if I was getting that serious I would want my own as well.

Reaction score
hoolio said:
BenG said:
The thing is a track only car will require a car trailer and a vehicle to tow it, thats is where the money from the Trophy will go.

Ah, I forget that kind of stuff as I can always beg and borrow it if I need, though if I was getting that serious I would want my own as well.

Buy a cheap transit van keep the trophy... as for house erm dunno lol

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Smokinrubber said:
hoolio said:
BenG said:

Buy a cheap transit van keep the trophy...

All very well but I'd want better rear view and have you seen the price of a decent trailer these days, even 2nd hand ones are likely to cost as much as the tug :)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Its roughly £1300 for a decent 1 axle trailer, roughly £1500 for a 2 axle trailer + another £250ish for a 1500KG Winch.
The way I look at it is by keeping it off the road, for someone my age, in under 2 years it will have paid for itself with what I would save in insurance, tax, MOT's and servicing.

Max - What car are you thinking of getting rid of the Trophy for ??

Reaction score
roystinho said:
I have a go in my brothers fiesta ST to remind me how good the T is. I also think any new car has all the safety aspects that the mk 2 Clio doesn't have which adds weight and boringness (it is a word, I made it up)

I'm sure you could get something quicker now, the 200 cup is possibly quicker. But will it feel as raw, and therefore as fun as a T, I doubt it (for me anyway)

You can't say it on the other forum :wink: but I dont think a 200 Cup is quicker that a Trophy. The test that 5th gear did 182 Cup vs 200 Cup came up with a 2 second gap but Renault quoted 1-2 seconds per mile 182 Cup vs Trophy so that would put em square. However the owner of the 182 cup said the 2 seconds was decided before they even ran them.

Max

Reaction score
Kitting a car for track work is bloody expensive, my Dad and went halfs on a '02 MX-5 early last year. At £3500 the car was a bit of a bargain as I got it from auction, since then we've spent around £5000 on making it a competant track car. It's quite scary how much a project can get carried away, the worst thing is, it's no where near finished. We are playing with the idea of supercharging it at the moment, to do it properly so it will (hopefully) be reliable you're looking at £4000. Before you know it you have well over £10,000 in a car that is realistically worth £5-6000 on the market.
Saying all that, creating and running a car on track is HUGELY enjoyable, I would quite happily sacrifice running something nice on the road to have something nice to run on track days.

BenG said:
Max - What car are you thinking of getting rid of the Trophy for ??

If I did sell the T I'd be after something a bit softer with effortless power. I quite fancy an Impreza with a few choice mods. I think every car enthusiast should have something Japanese, four wheel drive and turbocharged at some point.

Reaction score
Having driven a few Mk5 GTi's recently, I have to admit I think they are ruddy good cars - quick, comfortable, decent boot, 30+ mpg and look good (3 dr and in white). Different creature to the T mind, but still very good.

Reaction score
Gland I'm not only one that hears the little voices telling me to changge from the Trophy :lol:

Max

Reaction score
marrow said:
Having driven a few Mk5 GTi's recently, I have to admit I think they are ruddy good cars - quick, comfortable, decent boot, 30+ mpg and look good (3 dr and in white). Different creature to the T mind, but still very good.

A friend has bought one recently, I'm looking forward to going out in it. I don't like the image the Golf has but I know it will be a very nice car, suppose it's the compete package if you see what I mean.

Reaction score
They're ruddy dear for what you get atm imho, do a used car search on vw site. There's one at £15k ant the rest are between £20K and £30K. Just think what else you could get for that.