Reaction score
Below is a copy of the letter i sent to the manager of the garage and will be sent to reanult UK. After i get a response i will decide what action needs to be taken, whether it be criminal or civil.

Will keep ya posted!!

"Dear Sir,

I am the owner of a Renault Clio 182 Trophy, registration T29 PHY, which has been into your garage recently following a series of failures resulting in a number of warnings lights being activated on the dash.

On Thursday 12th March I dropped my car into your garage due to the same warning lights being activated; the traction control, ABS and service light. Later that afternoon I received a call from Caroline on the Renault service desk who informed me that the technician who had worked on my vehicle wanted to take it on a long test drive to see whether any of the faults became active. This ‘test drive’ was down to Bristol and then back again. Due to the distance and randomness with which the lights come on, I informed Caroline that they were not to take my car.

On Friday 13th I received a call around 1530hrs from Caroline informing me that my vehicle was ready for collection and that the activation of the lights was due to the brake pedal switch being too sensitive, this had been adjusted to reduce its sensitivity. Caroline also informed me that she had found out that morning that the technician had taken my car to Bristol; she explained that there had been some miscommunication.

I’m sure you can appreciate my concern and anger that it seems my wishes have been completely ignored, either by a lack of communication or the technician pretending he had not been told no. If it was a case of poor communication I would expect the technician to have double checked if he had permission before taking a private vehicle on a road trip!

Being a Police Officer, as some of your staff are aware, my main concern other than the wear and tear added to my vehicle is that the technician technically stole my vehicle as he did not have permission to drive it outside of your garages working hours and on a trip of this distance. Had the Police stopped him and made enquiries with me as to whether he had permission I would have said no due to my belief that my vehicle was safely secure at the garage and he would have been arrested.
Further, had anything happen to my vehicle the technician would not have been insured as no insurance company would cover someone who had stolen a vehicle whether intentionally or not.

When I picked the vehicle up it had approximately an extra 180miles on the clock and only half a tank of fuel. I find the situation completely unsatisfactory and wish for a full explanation as to how this occurred. I also want to know what the nature of the technicians trip to Bristol was, where the vehicle was parked overnight and whether any personal trips were taken whilst down in Bristol.

A copy of this letter will be sent to the director of Renault UK and whilst waiting for your response I will decide what action I will be taking next.

I look forward to your quick response.

Yours Sincerely

Oliver Mitchell"

Reaction score
Up till this point i have been happy with the service they had offered, this has just undone all the hard work they had done before.
I'm very dissapointed!

Reaction score
Thats a good letter so they should take note.

I didn't know you where in the police though, that should add some spice to things at least. :D

Reaction score
It should scare them into taking some action, I'd think a nice letter of apology, a decent sum of compensation and someone having to wear a yellow pages down their trousers to ease the pain of the kicking they deserve would be a good start.

Reaction score
Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but what was the out come of this case?

So often complaints of dealers are unfounded or blown out of all proportion, which as a former dealer technician annoys me, but this really is a serious issue. Would be interested to know how this was settled.

Reaction score
I am still awaiting a response from the Service Manager. did get a letter from the Garage Manager saying thanks for bringing it to his attention and the Service manager will be in touch. I will wait till monday to see if i get a response, if not it'll be a phone call this time!!!!

will keep you posted!

Reaction score
If you sent it on Tues and got a response (even if just an acknowledgment of receipt) today, it's a promising start anyways :)

Reaction score
duffer987 said:
If you sent it on Tues and got a response (even if just an acknowledgment of receipt) today, it's a promising start anyways :)

My letter went off to them a week ago today and got the letter response from the Garage manager monday just gone. Haven't heard anything since so thought if i wait till next monday that'll be a week and enough time for the Service manager to call and say he is looking into it.

time will tell.

Reaction score
Good letter, leaves the ball in their court whilst not restricting you over what you decide to do next

Reaction score
Well i have now had a call from the Renault Service Manager, he called to advise me that he is currently investigating the incident to find out how and why it happened and will call me next week once he has a full picture.
He wanted to assure me that the incident was not being brushed under the carpet and he will be looking at internal disciplinary proceedings. He also appologised for this happening and that he was as concerend as i was about it happening in the first place.

I will hold my breath and wait to see what happens, as although he has previously been very helpful and honest, the things he was saying are the sort people WANT TO HEAR.

Update coming next week!