Reaction score
Right this is really doing my head in!!!! over the past month or so I have this knocking coming from the rear....I have removed and refitted the rear konis god knows how many times, tried different settings. Had a look at the exhaust to see if its touching anywhere, checked the bumper etc etc etc...... if I am turning an hit a uneven road surface its alot louder (sounds like a very worn drop link on the front when they go - but this is on the rear!) the constent knocking/thudding noise happens nearly all the time when driving on the uneven road surface's.

I really haven't a clue where to look nxt as all the things I have checked seem fine?!....... I have the mark fish springs and rear konis so if anyone else has these please could I have some feedback. I know they make the ride harder but this knocking doesn't sound right.

Rich

Reaction score
Are the exhaust hanger mounts ok? The rubber in mine were shot and the exhaust banged into the plastic trim when going over uneven roads and speed bumps making a knocking sound.

Reaction score
Wheels bearings I thought of but it would make a noise all the time? like grinding noise.

As for the exhaust hangers - I have an orbisoud which came with its own hangers. My other thought was the exhaust bouncing up and down causing it to make a knocking noise on the boot floor, cause if I lift it up and down (when stationary) it makes a slight noise from the heat shilds but nothing like what I'm hearing.....

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mate when I was sat in the back of your car it sounded like it was coming from the damper, perhaps the damper is a faulty one. Want to fit one of my Koni's on yours to see? to rule out that possibility?

Reaction score
I have the Mark Fish setup and an Orb but nothing obvious springs to mind. Sorry. The Orb has always been a pain to get aligned, but thats all.

Reaction score
Might as well try it and see see if it still does it with another damper on. If it is faulty I'll send it back to fish. :) I was going to refit my old ones but remembered I left some parts at the mrs doh!

Reaction score
mine is doing the same, i need the rubber bit for the exhaust, what is the part called?
Thanks

Reaction score
Check that the metal bush inside the rubber bush at the bottom of the damper is central - otherwise the damper body may touch the rear suspension arm or outer washer(used to happen with Konis in my mini days!). Also if for some reason the top bushes have not seated properly you might get a similar problem - are the washers either side of the top bushes the right size?

Reaction score
I will take a pic of the whole unit and post it up. the washers and bush's you use are different to the OE ones. I keep thinking that if the top bush isn't seated right it will 'tap' against the hole in the body of the car. Where the OE ones have a metal sleeve to stop this. There is a big clunk noise when your turning and going over uneven road surface. All I can discribe the noise is....as its like a very worn drop link clunking when you run over a manhole or bump

Reaction score
i had to bend up the heat shield to stop my new zorst from hitting it but it was more like a tapping noise. I have a clonk - it's the exhaust box hitting one of the zorst mounts, i know the orb brackets aren't standard but don't know what they're like. I stuck a felt pad on the bracket to cushion the blow!

Reaction score
Thats what I have a slight tapping noise then a cluck/knock when I hit a manhole or a bit of road which has been patched up. I might see about putting felt under the mounts.....

Reaction score
IF it is the zorst you should be able to tell if and where it's hitting coz it'll move easily by tugging it aboot with ur hand