Reaction score
I agree completely with KingStromba on this. I don't think that there are many people who really understand effects of different suspension parts on the overall feel. I for sure do not, that's why I was so surprised by the effects lighter wheels had on my cupped 182.

Reading elsewhere on this site, following logical arguments, it seems that the reservoirs on the Sachs dampers are not themselves the greatest contributor to the different feel of the Trophy.

Hubs are the same, afaik, if not please correct me!

What we need is a spec sheet for the Sachs dampers to see if there are any from Koni, KYB etc. to match.

I would also jump at the chance to upgrade the suspension on my 182 to Trophy spec!

Cheers,

w

Reaction score
Hi All,

just to make you sure: also in Hungary there are some Clio RS owners :D

And I'm also looking forward to hearing about the competent dampers instead of those of the Trophy...

What about the springs?? Same as Cup's?

Bye

Reaction score
The only data I know about the Trophy dampers (to find a cheaper one with similar characteristics) that the rod is stiffer: 25mm instead of the normal RS's 20mm.

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as R-jay. The cost of trading in my full-fat one against the Trophy was too big a hit. So, I am waiting to see if Reno do release it as a kit. Mega expensive, especially if they fit it.

So having spoke to Mark Fish about it, I think I might go down the coilovers route. Should give me lots of flexability, and adjustment, to dial in for trackdays.

:D

amm

Reaction score
r-jay said:
Unfortunatley I brought my 182 a little to early back in March so wont be getting a Trophy. Really hoping the Sachs suspension kit does get released that is being talked about over on Renault Sport forum, if so hopefully I will get it for my Cup Packed Black Gold car.

sunset.jpg
renault say the damper's are 10 times more exspencive than the 182 ones

Day

Reaction score
only if set up correctly!

Got to get the corner weights done properly... a set of bathroom scales will not surfice!

Reaction score
TBH if i was in this situation I would go coilovers, benefits are the full adjustabilty for track use and for show use you can drop the car right to the floor.

Have a word with LEDA there based over in Braintree Essex and there coilovers are spot on, you can go for a basic set up right up to a full blown race set up. Well worth saving you hard earned pennies.

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Very true really. The majority of people would benefit more from a few hundred quid's worth of track tuition than from fitting fancy suspension to their car or other performance mods.

I've done quite a few trackdays now, but I know if I want to get anywhere near driving the Trophy to its full potential I could do with getting some more tuition.

Reaction score
I agree, 90% of drivers on UK roads will run out of talent long before their cars run out of ability.

Ive yet to see anyone use coilover properly, except for race teams and race drivers.

People assume lower cars are faster, just as they assume wider tyres grip better and allow faster lap times. 99.9999% of people who drive on the roads arnt race engineers although alot like to think they are. Very few people properly understand suspension dynamics, let alone have a grasp large enough to improve a road car.

I doubt there is anyone on Cliosport / here who can use a 172 to its full potential, or any other reno rs car. Therefore coilovers are a complete waste of money, unless needed for asthetic purposes.

Reaction score
well imo...coilovers can give your a better feeling of control over your car thus letting you take corners faster.
A coilovered cup is far more convincing in the corners than a stock car...
They also look the nuts lowered. :lol:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
without getting into dynamics, i feel a real world comment is appropriate here, and feel qualified in doing so after owning 2 mk1 172's and a mk2..... the trophy feels amazingly more secure on the road, it seems to inspire me with more confidence. When pressing on its feels more 'planted' at speed.

and another thing; the red paint is the bollox

Reaction score
It liberates enough space to package a thicker, and therefore stiffer damper rod, thus increasing camber compliance (like i said stiffer dampers and adjustable ones are already available, it would be easy to copy the damper stiffness to any other damper)

I think there are two types of stiffness here that are being confused.

The first type of stiffness is the reactive stiffness of the damper, which is essentially the resistive force generated for a given displacement rate. This is the stiffness most people are referring to when they mention “damper stiffnessâ€Â￾ and many dampers allow it to be adjusted.

The other type of stiffness is the structural stiffness of the damper, which essentially determines the kinematic accuracy of the damper. This structural stiffness is particularly important when the damper is used as a McPherson strut because the camber compliance relies on it.

Keith