Reaction score
Hi folks,

1st post on here. I'm going for a test drive in a Trophy on Monday - can't see any reason why I wouldn't like it, given the fantastic write-up's I've read everywhere, so am fully expecting to love it and put a deposit down on one (only 16 left I think now). So my question to you is how low should I aim with the dealer? I know the list is £15.5k (but obviously I'm not looking at paying anywhere near that :roll: ), but I'm guessing around £13k would be a good deal? (or have people paid less?? :shock: ). Of course, quite prepared to put my order in elsewhere if anyone knows of a dealer that is willing to discount generously (maybe over xmas would be a good time to do a deal, so that they hit yr-end targets etc :idea: ).

About me....I've got a TT at the moment, which has been good, but just looking for something a bit different as I've had it for over 3 yrs now, and I could switch to the Trophy for no additional cash (actually get some cash back!), which is quite tempting. So anyone that's driven both, I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are on them in comparison (though I'll know for myself on Monday :D ).

Any advice appreciated. Cheers.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
trophy - loads more fun!

You dont say which tt, 180, 225 3.2v6.......

performance is well on a par with the 225, maybe a tad quicker. Handling is far far superior in the trophy.

on the downside, you will miss the refinement, solidity and comfort of the tt. The trophy is fidgety and not relaxinig to drive. Its always saying, go on push me, rev me and treat me rough, where the tt is way more relaxed and is so comfy especially on high speed travelling on the motorway. Clio is boomy, noisey, windy and very very sensitive to the slightest input. In short it depends what you want from a car. The trophy is everything it should be IMO.

All the people like me who got a great deal was pre sept when dealers were pushing to meet sales. Now there are only a handfull and if you pay 13k then you will have a good deal.

good luck. Its the best purchase ive made and beleive me i have had a good few cars.
Plus you wont suffer the hairdresser jokes that you do with the tt. :lol:

Reaction score
Many thanks for your comments Matt, much appreciated.

matt the cat said:
trophy - loads more fun!

You dont say which tt, 180, 225 3.2v6.......
225, with re-map to 270bhp/303lb/ft. So good fun!

performance is well on a par with the 225, maybe a tad quicker. Handling is far far superior in the trophy.
Interesting. I know the early TT's handling wasn't much to write home about, but the post-2002 (lowered etc) suspension is MUCH better, and I actually quite rate the handling of mine (don't laugh). It feels much more planted round the corners, lack of body roll etc, than a lot of other so-called "sporty" cars.

on the downside, you will miss the refinement, solidity and comfort of the tt. The trophy is fidgety and not relaxinig to drive. Its always saying, go on push me, rev me and treat me rough, where the tt is way more relaxed and is so comfy especially on high speed travelling on the motorway. Clio is boomy, noisey, windy and very very sensitive to the slightest input. In short it depends what you want from a car. The trophy is everything it should be IMO.
Maybe I should get the Trophy and keep the TT as well! Best of both worlds then - TT for long journeys, and Trophy for fun blasts around the many A and B roads nearby!!

All the people like me who got a great deal was pre sept when dealers were pushing to meet sales. Now there are only a handfull and if you pay 13k then you will have a good deal.
I'll aim for £13k then - sounds like that would be a good deal.

Reaction score
fairly certan all the trophy's left for sale are already in stealerships or are demo models. As i ordered mine and it was number 494 and it came over with the others upto 500 and this was two months ago now.

You'll love the trophy, hope you get a good deal.

Reaction score
jezza l said:
fairly certan all the trophy's left for sale are already in stealerships or are demo models.
I presume my dealer will know where they all are then? Or is there any way I can find out where they are? (I would obviously prefer a new one rather than a demo).

If my dealer just has their demo (which I guess he'd be happy to sell), could he get hold of a new one from elsewhere, or would I have to go to that dealer myself? Thanks.

Reaction score
I think many dealers would'nt want to part with un-registered ones, although i would think most would have been registered by now. With there only being a few left the dealers know they can shift them at a good price so would be reluctant to pass them on to other dealers. I would aim to try and get one for 13k.

hyb

Reaction score
Expect to pay around £13k. I would have thought nearer to £13,250 as there are very limited amounts now.
Good luck :D

Reaction score
As there are only 16 left, I doubt the dealers will be willing to give huge discounts, but you neverknow, like you say if they are trying to hit year end targets then you may get lucky.

If you can't get a un-reg one cheap enough, there are a few for sale on the Autotrader website going for between £12.5k and £14.5k.

Reaction score
bungle said:
jezza l said:
fairly certan all the trophy's left for sale are already in stealerships or are demo models.
I presume my dealer will know where they all are then? Or is there any way I can find out where they are? (I would obviously prefer a new one rather than a demo).

If my dealer just has their demo (which I guess he'd be happy to sell), could he get hold of a new one from elsewhere, or would I have to go to that dealer myself? Thanks.

Your Dealer could see who has one left but I would think that they'd be unwilling to part with it. I also think that you'll struggle to get a good deal on them now. Where do you live ?

Reaction score
There are 14 left unsold. Weybridge, Bristol (2), Canterbury, Cambridge, Kidwelly, Ilford, London West, Lincoln, Newbury, Bath and 3 in Scotland

Reaction score
Thanks Jeremy - so what is the car that Warwick have, where I am test-driving? A demo presumably, but I’d have thought they’d want to sell it at some point wouldn’t they? Confused….(not difficult with me :roll: ….)

I guess my best bet is to ring round all 14, and see what they're all prepared to do price-wise. You never know, one of them might be desperate for a sale! :D

Reaction score
This will work trust me.

Get the money in a bag and go to the dealer. Drive the car and say you want to make an offer.

Open the bag of cash and put it on the table infront of the salesman. Tell the sales man there is 13k in the bag and thats what your offering for the car. Every 20 seconds you are going to take 200 quid out of the bag and the offer goes down starting...

'Now'

After 20 seconds of him flapping around remove 200 quid and state '12,800'

Ive bought a second hand car like this and it does work, as long as you pick an original price that you think he will accept. It save loads of fucking around and gets straight to the point.

The trick works because the guy can actually see a sale slipping away from him. A 2k profit in the hand is worth a 4k profit that might happen next week. And they guy that comes in next week to buy a trophy can be fobbed off with a 182 cup anyway. Thats how salesmen think.

And when hes agreed the sales tell him you want mats and some touch up paint free. Dont ask, tell him.

And have fun, salesmen think they are clever but most are retards. :p

Reaction score
LOL @ Stromba. Good technique though, you can't argue with cold hard cash! :D

But, this is a real bugg3r, there is no test drive anymore, they've sold their demo now :( :(