Reaction score
Whilst fitting my new Yozza Brembo / Ds2500 pack this afterrnoon, i thought it would be the perfect time to whip out my damper pins.
Quickly got the passenger side done, undid the grubscrew, levered the cap off, knocked the pin upwards and refitted the cap, hey presto!!
However, when i tried to do the same to the drivers side, i came across a little complication... it appears the bright sparks at Renault have fitted the pin directly in line with the grubscrew, therefore preventing the grubscrew being accessed at all, thus preventing the cap being removed etc... has anyone got any ideas...

It seems that i need to remove the pin to remove the grubscrew.... yet
need to remove the grubscrew to remove the pin....???? wtf?

Any help or advice from anyone with the same problem would be appreciated.

Bryntek

Reaction score
Just recommend great caution - again on the driver's side, the grub screw was glued in and no amount of scraping etc helped - then, and I am ashamed ot admit it, brute force resulted in serious damage - broken adjuster shaft - what a moron.

I have discussed with David (as in racecardoctor) who was more sympathetic than I deserved, and the concensus is that at least the standard setting should be retained until I can spare it for long enough to have a rebuild - would get both sides checked and the adjusters freed off.

New price is 1,259.14 plus VAT - could get 15% discount, but still far too big an ouch - so patience and fingers crossed that the adjustment will not unwind on its own.

Reaction score
here we go a photo of the offending pin, sorry about crappy quality folks...

Attachments

• DSC00201.JPG
    DSC00201.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 1,161
  • DSC00202.JPG
    DSC00202.JPG
    211.4 KB · Views: 1,158
Reaction score
The same thing happened with my passenger side. I managed to remove the grub screw but when i levered the adjuster off it was glued on and snapped straight off. i couldnt believe it when it happened and im now looking for a set of ebay as i cant afford to buy a new one from Renault! Renault are a nightmare!

Reaction score
looks like you guys are going to have to take the shock off.

What i'm thinking is drill, tap, make up a shaft with the appropriate thread on and use a slide hammer to gently pull out the pin.

Reaction score
Could you not slide a thin hacksaw under the knob and cut the pin in half as at least this would give you the adjustment.

I think as Ben has said to remove totally it looks like you are going to have to drill / tap it out.

Reaction score
Phil Pearce - this is exactly what happened to me - we think that the adjustment won't change - so wait until you can get a rebuild as it will be a lot cheaper- consult racecardoctor who is in contact with Sachs - see one of his earlier postings. He is very busy with pre-season work.

If you find a set on e-bay which are in good condition, i might be interested as my problem is on the driver's side - so could split the cost.

Reaction score
George K said:
Phil Pearce - this is exactly what happened to me - we think that the adjustment won't change - so wait until you can get a rebuild as it will be a lot cheaper- consult racecardoctor who is in contact with Sachs - see one of his earlier postings. He is very busy with pre-season work.

If you find a set on e-bay which are in good condition, i might be interested as my problem is on the driver's side - so could split the cost.

yeh definitely, i will let you know when i have found a pair.

Reaction score
Phil. Keep me posted - where are you based - I live in SE Devon, but work near Newbury.

Good luck with the search.

Reaction score
Thats what happens when you mess with things your not meant to. Leave them alone chaps!!! If i ever get a trophy after the cup, the wheels will be off checking these pins have NOT been removed :wink:

Reaction score
7MAT said:
I agree Renault shouldn't off messed with the dampers, why put on adjustable dampers and then pin them? :lol:

:p but surely if you wanted adjustable suspension, wouldn't some of you guys have been better wacking a set of bilstein/H&R's on a 182 cup :wink: :wink:

that would have stopped the curiosity :)

Reaction score
Im based near Southampton in the New forest, so not far from Newbury. I didnt want a 182 cup, i wanted a trophy! just a shame Renault had to mess around with the dampers!

Reaction score
172gaz said:
7MAT said:
I agree Renault shouldn't off messed with the dampers, why put on adjustable dampers and then pin them? :lol:

:p but surely if you wanted adjustable suspension, wouldn't some of you guys have been better wacking a set of bilstein/H&R's on a 182 cup :wink: :wink:

You don't buy a Trophy to remove the suspension (that's what makes it a Trophy). As said before the Sach's units are a far better damper than the bilstein / H&R offerings etc.

amm

Reaction score
172gaz said:
7MAT said:

sach would not have made there dampers adjustable if you was not meant to play with them renault pined them so they was at the best comprimized setting as most of them will not go on a track