Reaction score
i know the clio is rather torqey but ive seen some stats with the clios torque rising to a massive 170 ibf with some mods on, what do you need to get this sort of figure?

Reaction score
Hasving been through a whole raft of before and after r/r ests I would say that the only thing that works is a custom re-map. Matched inlet, cams, modified inlet and generic remap did virtually nothing for torque - 3 ft lbs, from 137 - 140. Custom re-map up to just over 150. It deos seem that for some reason the Trophy/later 182's are not so amenable to tuning as the earlier engines - Ben Rushworth thinks it may be to do with the head and smaller exhaust ports.

170 ft lbs is dreaming - i have worked in motor racing for many years and can say that you are into the league of full lhouse racing engines to see that sort of torque, and it will be quite high up the rev range.

RS Tuning are well respected - I used ChippedUK as they are in Bromsgrove which is much nearer to me.

The result of all this is that i am struggling to see how to make the Trophy competitive as it needs at least another 30 bhp. Infidelity may be looming!

Sorry if this duplicates another post, but the first attempt did not seem to go through.

Reaction score
Cue, I would agree re the crash diet, but nothing less than 150 kg will make a significant difference (I have a spreadsheet model which relates times to power to weight ratio- works for Goulds and heavy diesels) and that would cannibalise the car, and destroy its value as a Trophy.

Sadly the driver is already quite light!!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
And that was on a rolling road where? LaLa land.

How come it's always GDI that get these great figures, do they know something that an awful lot of well respected tuners don't?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i've got to agree their figures always seem high.... panel filter, remap and cat back exhaust would only be registering around the late 180's imo - from what i've seen other getting from various RR's and various other mods.

Reaction score
Relative power claims always end up with these sort of issues. In order to avoid any vested interest I have used a well respected independent r/road. Also it is vital to do before and after runs to get any sort of benchmark, otherwise r/roads are not accurate enough to make absolute power claims. i have seen significant power changes depending on whether the rollers are shiny or how quickly the reading is taken - it is quite easy to arrange for some overshoot (even seen that trick with an F1 engine on a dyno!!).

Reaction score
George K, what cams are you running then that you can't feel any improvement?

Are they the mild Catcams, as I've been told that these are almost the same as standard?

Reaction score
how come u just assumed it was gdi that RR my car as it wasnt, it was streetracers in leicestershire and thats the same place that my bro took his scooby wrx that i keep up with and he got 245 bhp, i also kept up with my mates 172 cup thats running throttle bodies so im sorry that iv got a fast trophy and uv got a slow 1,

Reaction score
7Mat - the Cams are AWT, which are slightly different from CatCams - more lift- the duration is slightly less than his earlier ones as he had an idle stabilisation problem.

Harratt - I am not going to get into mine is better or worse than yours discussion (more approriate for Cliosport) but the point I am making is that I have always compared before and after on an independent r/r so that I can quantify improvements or otherwise. The r/r results are also born out by speeds at a fixed piont on the hill climb.

Reaction score
All Rolling roads will give different results, but there's only a limited amount of power to be gained from small mods (especially exhaust and panel filter). Unfortunately the clio's don't really make 182 bhp as standard either on some rolling roads. If you gained 8bhp from the remap and a few from the exhaust you could probably assume some RR's might put it between 178 and 184 bhp.

As for torque, you might gain 20lb ft somewhere in the midrange (mine did) but it's ulikely to gain so much at the top end.

Best mod is definately a custom map though.

The Trophy is all about handling though. And we all love them for that :D

Reaction score
harratt21trophy, sounds like you have a fit and healthy Trophy, what power is it making at the wheels? That's a more telling figure.