Reaction score
I just read on a recent topic that shell v power is good for reducing the carbon on piston heads. I've always used this up until recently as shell garages are becoming harder to find where I live, my nearest is about 20 miles away ! I've often wondered how much difference it makes using high octane as I've heard different story's. Some say it's best to fill up every 4th tank with high octane, someone else said the trophy is mapped for high octane. I know v power is 99 RON so I've been using tesco momentum which is also 99RON other high octane fuels only seem to be 97 or 98 RON. I know standard supermarket fuels are renown for being cheap and bad quality full of additives to make up quantity, but I'm assuming Tescos momentum is good quality as is a premium priced fuel. Does anyone know any different or advantages/disadvantages of these high octane fuels available and if some are better than others ?

Reaction score
All fuel's are different however all usually come from the same place. The differences are the additives in the fuel, for instance tesco's to make the extra 1 ron would use something that combusts with a higher heat/burn for instance brake cleaner or methanol. Just a hint if your having troubles starting a car with an injector fault then use a tiny bit of brake cleaner in the intake system don't go mad with it though but in most cases helps get it started.

Your rite with the 182 engine there mapped to run higher octane fuel's so will run smother due to a better burn of fuel and air mixture. You can still use standard 95 ron fuel however the engine can sometimes run a bit lumpy. This also goes for jap imports there all designed to run on 98 ron so its exactly the same situation with them.

Just thought i would add, one thing you can do if running cheaper fuels is use an additive either that being something off the shelf like redex or i use an additive from my work which is suppose to be stronger cleaner however i don't think they sell it off the shelf. Iv never used the boost additives but i guess if there using something thats a stronger burn than fuel it will work.

Reaction score
Okay thanks, that's shed some light on the subject. Does anyone know if shell v power is any better/worse quality/performance than tesco momentum ?

Reaction score
Surely they would be about the same if they are both 99ron as it all comes from the same place?

Reaction score
Its similar just the additives are different, imo opinion your better off sticking with Tesco 99 ron i know when vauxhall or should i say triple eight were racing in the BTCC they done a comparison on fuels and tesco come out with best performance, how true that is i don't know. I do know however that when i use shell fuel i get very little mpg compared to tesco fuel.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I use V-Power for the cleaning properties.
I have a mate who works in the department where they test and develop the fuels and oils. And I've seen enoscope images and injectors etc of identical cars running on normal and V-Power as a comparison. Since then I've been sold.

Reaction score
I use BP Ultimate. V Power has the best marketing if that's what you're looking for. V Power once sent my car into limp mode. :x

Reaction score
For day to day, I use whatever is cheapest, its a clio, not a 700bhp turbo monster.

If im feeling flush, or doing a track day ill bung some Tesco 99/Momentum in it.

Reaction score
liam1610 said:

It's a good article, though I did notice the shell fuel used was shell optimax which I think was 98RON, v-power is 99. That's not to say the tesco fuel still wouldn't outperform it, but the test was conducted in 2006 and 5 years on things may have changed. What's everyone's subjective feelings about tescos vs shell?

Reaction score
I used optimax when was for years and then v power. There is a noticible increase in power and mpg over standard fuel. Been using momentum for about 8 months and may have noticed a small increase in mpg over v power however, 3 wks ago I filled up with momentum from running on fumes in the t, got about 3 miles down the road and it went into limp mode, it turned out the first lambda sensor on the manifold was knacked. Proberly unrelated to momentum, still using it atm, I will just have to see what happens !

Reaction score
Been using Tesco finest for about 2yrs. No problems and dosen't lose it's edge if in the tank for a while, which i noticed optimax did.

Reaction score
Your cars mapped to run on 98ron (on the inside of the petrol flap), which i dont think they even do anymore so just run it on whatevers closest to 98