Reaction score
Hi i have always said on all my cars i have owned if engine required major repair i.e. piston bent valve etc..
I would put uprated internals in and bolt a turbo on (if only it was that easy:))
Just woundered wat peoples views are on turbo trophy?

(Just to add there is nothing wrong with the trophy still going as strong as ever)

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I've been thinking about whether or not a supercharger kit can be fitted after the addition of the RS2 inlet manifold, not that I would even be tempted by it :wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Nobody has done SC but I know a lad who had ITB's on his! Now sold and the kit was removed but went rather well - flames out of the exhaust and all!

I have gone for full system exhaust and RS tuner and that will be about it I think.

A friend of mine is an ex-R5 expert (now owns his own garage) and spoke about Steve's Turbo'd Trophy, said it was IMMENSELY quick!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
bearne1 said:
A friend of mine is an ex-R5 expert (now owns his own garage)!

Who's that then? Steve's T was overtaking some powerful cars at Mallory, on the outside of bends :)

Reaction score
See i would reli like to do something so i might look into superchargers
There is a lad i no that has just bored out a 1.8 v-tec to a 1.9 v-tec and bolted on a nice big turbo and slapped it in a civic and that things mental but i need sone thing faster cant let jap crap win this one lol

Reaction score
The RS2 would be interesting with a supercharger however having not seen the manifold would it deal with higher pressures? The other thing to worry about is internals if your leaving it standard i think that kind of power would be a tad worrying on standard equipment. As for routing pipe work im pretty sure there would be enough room there your have to take out the a/c compressor and swap it with a supercharger thats the ideal place for an install.

One thing i always wondered with all this engine power is how people put it down to the ground its all well having the power but my Trophy seems to spin up pretty easy on full throttle as standard, if it was me i would be looking into LSD to go with the conversion i would imagine that would help alot.

Reaction score
Any work i did to the engine it would always make sure the internals could cope with the extra power even have to check drive shafts, gearbox and much more. Brake upgrade as well.

And putting the power down should be too hard you will have to get use to the extra power and not put you your foot straight down but build yourself in to it . Knowing where and when you can completely put your foot down.

Reaction score
Have a chat with Steve re. his turbo Trophy. He's got quite a long thread on CS forum about the build. Apparently he started off with buying a proper kit, didn't like it, then developed his own by sourcing his own parts. He's now got a variable boost control working on it which puts out up to around 320bhp, apparently the T puts the power down very well.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Paul @ RS tuning stuck a SC on his 172 - that thing flew... would whip sub turbo 911's in straight line races.

Reaction score
Did someone mention the word turbo? :lol:

When the car was at Mallory it was running 341bhp now whilst most people will bang on about "it's too much for a FWD car", it wasn't. Mallory (Hoolio will back me up on this) was sopping wet so in theory this should of made the mighty Trophy an absolute pig to drive especaillay as I have a stand alone ECU and no traction control etc... however the little Trophy was awesome to the point that nothing overtook me from lunch time onwards, I'll admit it was my first track day in a car (I normally do them on my GSXR 1000) and I took a little bit of time finding the limits in the morning but by lunch time I'd sorted my braking/ turn in points and worked out where the traction was good and not so good. My victims from the day included an ariel atom, renault spider race car, numerous E46 M3's, evos and subarus as well as renaults finest meganes,clios and 5 gt turbos. I even won "best post 1991 car of the show" 8)

Not long after that I had an oportunity to swap to a larger turbo, being a bit foolish I bought it and sold my old one, what happend after that was I made 374bhp, however I lost a little bit of power in the lower regions. This now makes the on boost transition a little harsher than it was before and really is testing the traction limits of my PE2's.

I'm seriously considering going back to the smaller unit as the power was really linear but I'm currently in the process of fitting a stronger gearbox and clutch in preperation for this years track abuse :D

I must admit part of what makes the car so easy to drive is the ECU configuration as the ECU adjusts the boost with respect to the throttle position, as such when only on half throttle I only get half boost. Boost is set at 1.2 at the moment and my current plan is to swap a few parts to achieve a linear power band whilst maintaining the same boost levels. Also there is a code being written that will give me gear dependant boost settings ie 270bhp in first, 300bhp in second, 350bhp in third then 375+ in fourth,fith and sixth. All in it should be good year for DIY clio tuning :D

Regarding a SC conversion I would certainly speak to Paul regarding it, I must admit I was tempted to buy Russ' SC kit and see if I could get it up and running along side my turbo, now that would be good :twisted:

I'll be honest though everyone was talking about 400bhp SC kits a year or two ago however the highest so far was Pauls at 328bhp they'll never pull 400bhp and whilst Pauls 328bhp compares favourably to my 341bhp his torque peaked at 235lb/ft compared to my 316lb/ft.

Any questions just fire away.

PS I run freshly refurbed SACHS, revalved konis, MF springs, Wilwood 4pots, 295mm HC discs and DS2500 pads

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm seriously considering going back to the smaller unit as the power was really linear but I'm currently in the process of fitting a stronger gearbox and clutch in preperation for this years track abuse

You're a brave man Stevie! that kind of power in a Clio is Insane! :twisted:

I think I read on CS that your gearbox let go, which part was it that failed and what gear box are you planning on using?

Reaction score
As some will know I swapped to a JC5-128 gearbox which is normally found in a clio 1.5DCi 80BHP clio. However this doesn't have the same bolt in differential that the Trophy runs as standard. As such the cir clip gave up so I had to have a new one fitted along with a bead of weld to keep things in check. That was last year.

This year when the first rays of sunshine shone through and the roads were finally dry and grit free I decided to take it out, mainly to make sure everything was still in full working order. When exiting a roundabout in third I probably applied a little to much throttle whilst the inside wheel was unloaded, this caused it to break traction and as it gripped the shock load stripped third gear completely. I still have 1,2,4 and 5but 3rd has packed it's bags and is currently rattling around at the bottom of the box LOL.

I'm going to remove the engine and gearbox and build something special, it will be something that has never been done before and will give me six speeds and a LSD. When I get it finished I'll be sure to post up the details :D