Reaction score
Hey guys,

The Sachs are coming off '380' later as they're booked in with Ben on the 8th. I've noticed a lot of people saying that they've had the struts un-pinned to allow adjustment to the damping. I've had a quote of £25.00 each + vat, is it worth me getting this done while they're away?

Reaction score
How long have you had the car?... if they've been pinned all this time why unpin them now?

Reaction score
I've had it for almost two years and put about 12,000 on it. They are standard and un-pinned at the moment. The reason why I'm interested in peoples' feedback is that I may want to use it for a little track action later on and just wanted to know if it would be worth me un-pinning them while they're off.

Is it worth un-pinning them to alter the damping settings? is the difference that noticeable?

Ash

Reaction score
Unpin, definitely if you are planning a few track days, you find a difference on the track with a harder setting, car will feel more stable. Try 30 or 32 turns from zero.

The other advantage you may find renault did not set the same originally, I found 22 and 25 as factory settings.

I took the pins out with dampers on the car, if you have them removed diy and save £'s

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info Ash!

I haven't had a proper look at them yet but if it's a possible DIY job then I'll do it myself!

I take it there is a pin going through the knob which stops it turning? If this is the case then I guess it can be drilled out?

Reaction score
Glad to see ur getting them done, I went for the standard refurb and left the pins alone. Are you getting yours taken off then sending them to BG? I drove mine there and had them do the whole job otherwise my car was gonna be off the road for to long. They did a really good job too, well pleased.

Reaction score
I'm pulling mine off myself tonight, then taking the springs off + a good clean. Courier is arranged for tomorrow through my work, so works out very cheap!! ;o) There going to BG!

I got a call from Ben yesterday saying that he could now do them on the 8th rather than the 9th as they're off to a show later in the week so he said he'd turn them around pretty quickly, so I'm hoping that it shouldn't be out of action for too long! I've got my Mrs oil burner until it comes back! :(

Everyone says it's a good service! How much of a difference do you see with the ride now?

Reaction score
Quite a difference, deals with everything a bit better. It was ok before, just a little less composed.

Reaction score
I drove over Abergwesyn in the other day and I certainly noticed that it wasn't feeling as composed as it has and felt very twitchy! I'm looking forward to getting them done to see the difference + a quick paint before they go back on.

So are you going to keep it now Jenks? I remember the first time I saw your's, I had a black FF182 at the time and your T looked very good indeed. You mentioned a Megane 250 last time! it's going to have to be a hell of a car to replace the T mind! I looked at a 197 R27 the other day but I'm really not sure if I'll bother changing it.

Reaction score
I would try and do it yourself. Most are easy - 10 minutes. If you have problems as some have then let bg replace the dials for 25 each or whatever.

Reaction score
Really dont know what to do to be honest, like I said im moving to Cardiff and my trophy hates Cardiff so I think ill have to change it. I drove a 197 a while back and didnt think much of its engine characteristics, fine when its up and at it but a lot lacking at lower revs and for overtaking etc, the T had it covered handling wise too. Obviously a Cup version would be a bit handier and less soft than the regular but I cant see it as a step up at all. The 200 sounds good though, perhaps a worthy successor. The problem ive got is i want something a bit smoother for the city's low speed pot holed streets, so it rules out trophy-esque stiffly sprung cars. The regular meg 250 might be an option and an ideal compromise (as would the regular 200 for that matter) because i do want something that will still entertain on the blasts back to Aber and country roads etc. Maybe I should just get a 5 yr old s-class and be done with it. And a motorbike!

Whats the milage on yours now?

Reaction score
When my dampers get rebuilt they will be unpinned. Merley as I'll be getting the Mark Fish upgrade too.

Reaction score
jenks04 said:
Whats the milage on yours now?

27k - I've had it since 15k but I think the offside strut has been bad for a long time perhaps even since I've had it, just I hadn't noticed it until about 22k.

Mine are now off, un-spring, cleaned and ready for BG.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well, I just had my dampers refurbed by BG which was cheaper than some people have paid. He said the main reason was that I hadnt messed up while unpinning them. Which in his opinion is very easy to do and most people wont notice they have done it wrong. To the extent that he replaces the shaft and dial as one as to not do it himself.... As you can easily damage the shaft that the adjuster dial fits onto. For £25 quid i would let him do it but if your not going to do track days dont bother.

Reaction score
Gazza said:
Well, I just had my dampers refurbed by BG which was cheaper than some people have paid. He said the main reason was that I hadnt messed up while unpinning them. Which in his opinion is very easy to do and most people wont notice they have done it wrong. To the extent that he replaces the shaft and dial as one as to not do it himself.... As you can easily damage the shaft that the adjuster dial fits onto. For £25 quid i would let him do it but if your not going to do track days dont bother.

I believe GeorgeK, previous owner of my car, did just this hence the rebuild early-on in the cars life. So be careful.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Luke335 said:
I think they were pinned through the grubscrew.

If anyone is unlucky enough to have the pin disecting the grubscrew just leave it as it will be near on impossible to remove without a lot of drilling and probably damage.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Unpinning them yourself is really easy, be sure to leave the pin partly in the dial though otherwise there will be a hole through the dial where water and crap can get in.

As Marrow said the adjuster can be damaged very easily without noticing, Ben at BG replaced the adjusters on mine and put new dials on when they were serviced as they were bent, they are very fragile. Like I said its an easy job but be very careful.

Reaction score
If it was me I would get them unpinned by Bg at the same time so you can try different settings but will probably end up back at 22 clicks as you would find more front end grip by going stiffer on the rear ala Koni adjustables.