Scored shafts?!

Reaction score
Hi,I have missed a call today from Ben at BG as he has my dampers in for refurb.
Just a bit of a heads up really,but he says that one shaft needs replacing due to being scored and the other one is borderline,due to scoring!
I certainly don't mind spending if necessary,but was wondering the actual negative effect of a scored damper shaft and whether or not the "borderline" shaft should definitely be replaced?!
If anyone has an idea of cost too,that would perhaps save the potential awkward silence when I phone him back tomorrow.
Thanks
Rich

Reaction score
When I had mine done last year, unpinned and 1 shaft replaced it was shy of £700. Each shaft is £150 IIRC.

The problem with a scored shaft it that the score will pull dirt past the seals, causing the seals to wear quicker and the oil in the lower will start to build up with dirt ect quicker. I'm not sure on what BG's tollerances to what 'borderline' is however id rather spend another £150 now rather than having them rebuild again next year or the year after because the scored piston has pull more crap into the damper causing them to fail.

Reaction score
When I had mine done last year, unpinned and 1 shaft replaced it was shy of £700. Each shaft is £150 IIRC.

The problem with a scored shaft it that the score will pull dirt past the seals, causing the seals to wear quicker and the oil in the lower will start to build up with dirt ect quicker. I'm not sure on what BG's tollerances to what 'borderline' is however id rather spend another £150 now rather than having them rebuild again next year or the year after because the scored piston has pull more crap into the damper causing them to fail.

Got it,thanks for that!
I best put my name back on the overtime list,ha!