Willowbank 37

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
As Nick has highlighted, the dust boots originally fitted to the front Sachs dampers also importantly feature an integral bump-stop. I've personally never seen an aftermarket dust cover/ bump stop that is made to the same spec as this original item. Nick, myself and a few others have sourced the correct original Renault/Sachs part from Optimiz in France as Nick has linked to above, they are expensive granted, but they are the correct item and I wonder how many will be left available now.
Thanks, good advice. I have located the original bump stops from when I stripped the dampers down 18 months ago, however there are no dust gaitors hence must have destroyed themselves at some point in the distant past! Will order some, my list is getting longer than shorter!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Would it be easy enough to secure the original gator to the damper with a cable tie in the same way the powerflex kit is designed?

Not sure how effective a 'loose' gator is.

Willowbank 37

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine below that are fitted with the above original ones -

View attachment 32563
Quick question Nick, did you get pinged for import duty when getting stuff from France? Optimiz also have rear shock top mounts (not OEM, Powerflex) for less than 50 euro, cant get them for less than £70 here. Anyone know of any OEM stock (or anyone have any spares??

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Would it be easy enough to secure the original gator to the damper with a cable tie in the same way the powerflex kit is designed?

Not sure how effective a 'loose' gator is.
Anyone?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So these covers with the bump stop tops were £300?!

What the OE from France? No.

With carriage I paid a little over £90 iirc which as they are original and made for purpose compares pretty favourably with the £50+ for the Powerflex version.

Reaction score
my confusion, I guess £90ish doesn’t seem too bad.
do you need them now or just future proofing?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have one good and one not so great set and getting them whist I can, I have snoozed whilst loads of other parts have become unavailable. I now have enough to cover my spare sets of dampers.

Reaction score
Hey Rob, so these fit the front Sachs dampers? Mine didn't have any when I took them off but now they are pristine would like to protect the shafts! Any pictures with them fitted? Thanks.
Yes they did, I swapped the bump stops from the original which is a 2 min job for both as the fitting is good. They are slightly longer than the originals and can hold onto the body of the damper which I think is slightly better than original as covers the shaft top and bottom. I dont have a pic which shows this I am aftraid.

Reaction score

Original ones if all else fails, I got some to fit to mine - not cheap and come from France.
Lovely job. Great find. I just ordered a pair.

Hopefully they'll sneak into the UK without import taxes, as I asked them to mark them as 'samples'. Let's see.

All I require now is some top mounts and I'll build up my second set of Sachs as pictured by Nick.

I can't recall if the group buy Eibach springs came with the clear sheathing for the spring cup fitted or not.

Should anyone be interested, also worth a purchase are the wee transparent rubber/poly caps that can be fitted to the adjusters. They are actually a stop button cover for a machine, but serve the perfect purpose of keeping muck out of the adjusters.

I think it was @RikPerry that originally posted the link. They can be ordered from RS Components, the industrial electrical factors. I have the part number somewhere...

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Reaction score
Just checked the RS website, they have 600+ but being a tightwad am reluctant to pay £6.95 for delivery.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’ll order some for mine tomorrow - does anyone else want some and I’ll send them out to you when they arrive

Let me know Chaps

Marc - do they just push on ???

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I’ll order some for mine tomorrow - does anyone else want some and I’ll send them out to you when they arrive

Let me know Chaps

Marc - do they just push on ???

Yeah they are rubber and just pop on, To make it easier and to repel any moister or water you could spray then lightly with WD40 or a silicon lubricant

Reaction score
Trophy No.
After purchasing #142 im looking to sort out the dampers with BG Motorsport but they can’t take the car and require these removed and sent to them which causes me some problems being all the way down in Suffolk - in this instance it leaves me a bit stuck. Do we have any members that have multiple sets/spares up for sale?