New Alternator?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Just before the lockdown the battery and “stop” light came on. There are no error codes recorded. On the journey home the lights appeared to go off under harder acceleration. They’re now on when I start the car. With both illuminated the manual says that the battery is either over or under charging.

It’s always left on a trickle charger when parked in the garage.

Any guesses whether it’s likely to be the battery or alternator?

If it is the alternator do I need the standard 182 one?

31ffa661dfbb3c20266f8e1c8ae3a4a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
How old is the battery?

My money would be battery if it's not a regular driver, but it could be the alternator - having said that, were the lights on when you started it after it being on trickle charge?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes, they’re on as soon as I start it now. Even after it’s sat on charge.

Reaction score
Sounds like the alternator to me, I had the same trouble with mine and ended up having the original one repaired, I can't remember what it cost now but it was significantly cheaper than a new OE one and the new aftermarket one I tried, wasn't threaded in the lower lug that the long pivot bolt goes through, so it would have needed a longer bolt and a nut, though space for a nut there is very tight

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cheers, very helpful. Probably got a long wait until I can get it done!

Has anyone changed it themselves?

Reaction score
The alternator itself is easy to replace but needs accessory belt to be loosened and this is where it gets hard if you don't have the proper tool. Be careful with aftermarket as there are 2 part numbers from Valeo, one has the connectors in the right places, the other with a 180° offset (and bottom hole unthreaded). If you purchase the right P/N from valeo (or equivalent from other manufacturer), it is exactly as the original. I purchased a refurbished one with a huge savings compared to a brand new one from Renault!

Alternateur Clio RS Valeo english.jpg