Reaction score
About 1 1/2 years ago I had my shocks reconditioned and the are fine, but recently there had been horrible noises and clunking coming from the drivers side. After much hassle finding the problem we noticed that it is the lac of lubrication on the top of the shock. Can any one help me and tell me how to re lubricate it because I squirted it with silicone spay and it only cured it for a day?? Please help, thanks :D

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not the bearing inside the top mount that seized meaning when you turn the steering wheel the spring is trying to turn in its seat which is possibly the clunking noise you are hearing.

Reaction score
There is a chance that the caps on the bottom of the reservoir have cracked and the gas has escaped from the shock. You shouldnt have to lubricate anything in the area you say. You can check this by undoing the valve cap on the bottom of the reservoir cap and pushing a standard tyre pressure checker on it. Good pressure if i remember correctly is 60psi, mine read 40psi, and the second time there was no more gas for another reading. Sachs were supplying some sub standard caps about that time ago to BG Motorsport. The result for me was clunking and knocking from the spring turning in the cups.

Reaction score
Thank you, I took the shocks of and replaced them for now with 182 shocks while the trophy dampers go to conering force. It seams it was the gas escaping form the seal. Thanks for the help guys

Reaction score
Rather annoying that, mine went back twice. Very fine cracks in the alloy run from the centre where the valve is, outwards. In the end BG developed their own design of valve cap which has a double seal on it and a different valve. According to Ben @ BG just a handful every hundred is effected but Sachs didn't appear that bothered by the problem. That said, the second time i sent mine back, the cap was fine, but the gas had escaped from somewhere! They couldn't work out how it had disappeared but fitted the new caps and charged me less for the work.