A trip down memory lane...

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's back to 1994 today, back then in rural Ireland the easiest way to enlarge a photograph was to have a larger photocopy made... So here we are, discovered at my Mother's on a shelf the other week. My Dad's place in Ireland with a then new 'Etruscan red' Mk1 Clio 16v (forebear of the Williams) outside, a cracking car with that bonnet bulge/naca duct thing, subtly flared arches and the gorgeous polished 'Turbine' wheels. I remember it felt very civilised after the pair of 205 GTi's which had preceded it, which now seems quite laughable!

Clio16v_Ireland_94.jpg

Ajracer

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Great shot Ed.
Like the matching windows! What part of Ireland was this taken?

If there isn’t an existing thread for us old codgers to post historic photos of our previous motors this could be the start of something interesting.

Chipper

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
……just about to ask the same question re the location! That’s a lovely car, l have always had a soft spot for a Red Phase 1 1.8 16v, I even considered getting a Red LHD 16s from France before I got my Trophy. Where did the car end up?😊

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Great shot Ed.
Like the matching windows! What part of Ireland was this taken?

If there isn’t an existing thread for us old codgers to post historic photos of our previous motors this could be the start of something interesting.
Cheers Andy. Over in Co.Sligo right on the coast road there, the Atlantic a couple of fields away behind the house, some cracking (and challenging :oops: ) driving roads out there. I like your idea of this thread being the start of something for us 'old codgers' 🤣🤣

……just about to ask the same question re the location! That’s a lovely car, l have always had a soft spot for a Red Phase 1 1.8 16v, I even considered getting a Red LHD 16s from France before I got my Trophy. Where did the car end up?😊
As above, over on the West. Even without the extra glow which nostalgia undoubtedly brings now, that Mk1 16v was a lovely thing, and very capable, a real precursor to the later Renaultsport cars, it's like they took where they'd got to with the R5 Turbo and refined it. Unsure where it ended up, it started to lose coolant somewhere - mainly down the front of the block... at which point it was chopped in for a Mini Cooper which went on to receive the full 'S' conversation down at JCG in Worthing, but that's another story...

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I guess I ought to add this here in an effort to rejuvenate this post. (An old photo that I have posted before)
I'm going to have to dig around for my white 205 1.9 pics now aren't I... :LOL: ;)

I've got a cracker of one pausing on the 'Gap of Dunloe' - a (back then) untarmaced mountain pass in Co.Kerry, Ireland. Was a lot of fun going over that! F933SFR - where are you now? Probably went through a hedge backwards with a subsequent owner...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm going to have to dig around for my white 205 1.9 pics now aren't I... :LOL: ;)

I've got a cracker of one pausing on the 'Gap of Dunloe' - a (back then) untarmaced mountain pass in Co.Kerry, Ireland. Was a lot of fun going over that! F933SFR - where are you now? Probably went through a hedge backwards with a subsequent owner...

Now that picture has to be given the light of day Ed ;)

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
And bringing it back to Trophy's for a moment, I found these pics of No. 069 from I'd guesstimate around October/November 2005. The car on it's first trip to my Dad's place in Ireland, barely a month old, the car would have had maybe 5-600 miles at the most on the clock in these images.

Trophy_069_1_forum.jpg

Trophy_069_02_forum.jpg

I'll add these pics into the #069 thread on the Owners Register part of the forum too as part of the history of the car.
(One thing I do note is that @hoolio is absolutely bang on with his standard rear ride height observations on another thread.. :D )

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
You forget how lucky we are to have high def photos these days.
2 of my favourite cars from the past.
The 205 1.6 was a year old when I picker it up. Sold to buy a new red Renault 5 Turbo in 89.
The day I picked up my hairdresser car in 03! 😂
View attachment 32937View attachment 32938

Yours is too Andy however it’s now had 12 owners - Jules it’s not true that they all got written off

IMG_1335.png

Chipper

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I’ve driven the ‘Gap of Dunloe’ years ago Ed, when Spectating at the Killarney International Rally. It’s a pass up to the Famous ’Molls Gap‘ Rally Stage. It was more or less a dirt track in places with Mountain Sheep roaming over it. It is over 20yrs since I was last on it and it was rough then, I’d hate to think what condition the ‘road‘ is in now!

Some nice retro motors pictured above too👍