What parts are worth stockpiling

Mike256

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Being new to clio ownership and wanting to keep my trophy going for years to come, I wanted to ask what parts or spares do people stock pile as they're becoming harder to find.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's a difficult conundrum this, and not altogether easy to answer in a positive way. Maybe 15 years ago, when the majority of stuff was still available from Renault, some form of stockpiling could have occurred had you been minded to. But now, with the amount of stuff which is NLA and/or unique to the Trophy and rare as hens teeth, when things go wrong I've discovered it's more a case of firefighting than simply dipping into a carefully curated stockpile.

I don't want to sound overly negative, but that's just the way it is. The cars are getting old now, as are the bits like the dampers, the amount of rotted out spring platforms on Sachs I've seen over the last few years is, to me... quite alarming. The complete lack of interest in these older cars and their respective components now from the manufacturers is also telling, they're too busy on the march to their new utopia of the EV in most cases and couldn't give a stuff about a handful of enthusiasts trying to keep their heritage vehicles alive.

There's also absolutely no point in putting certain parts on shelves too, things such as belts for example - as they themselves have a shelf life and it becomes a lottery to fit them beyond their 'date' point.

I guess there's no definitive answer really, and it depends how you use the car, and it kind of explains why so many are now cars tucked away to enjoy on the odd sunny summer's day. Enjoyment and preservation have to inevitably be weighed up carefully if you're in it for the long haul.

Mike256

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I plan to use it on a few sunny weekends and a couple of track days each year, otherwise it will be tucked away in the garage.

For now, I'll just make a stack of serviceable items that I need.

Apart from that I also need to find another front splitter as its already fallen off, new centre caps for the alloys and a few other broken bits that need fixing.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I plan to use it on a few sunny weekends and a couple of track days each year, otherwise it will be tucked away in the garage.

For now, I'll just make a stack of serviceable items that I need.

Apart from that I also need to find another front splitter as its already fallen off, new centre caps for the alloys and a few other broken bits that need fixing.
The closest thing we've found with regards to the splitter is the Ragnotti item (it has the correct part number on it) from ORECA in France if you're feeling brave with regards to the import duty lottery or alternatively Kam Racing stock them. Centre Caps were still available from RPD last time I looked. (y)

Ajracer

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well said Ed.
Joking apart if your car is stock and isn’t missing any of the important Trophy parts then enjoy and maintain it as and when required.
Many parts are NLA or on back order but having said that you can still keep these old girls on the road.

photo_ed

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
... on back order...
Haha, indeed.

I've had the 'big' engine mount on back order with RPD since September last year, still no sign of the damn thing and can't use the car to it's full potential until I replace the existing one. I think I'm going to have to throw originality out of the window and fit one of the aftermarket/track orientated ones.

NickReilly063

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Well put Ed -

Best place to purchase the Caps is also Oreca - however don’t place orders over £135 as you will be hit with import taxes - £63 all in - I think there about £35 each over here.

W4KES

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Thanks to @NickReilly063 for helping me find them, i have treated number 500 to a full spare “as new” set of suspension, Sachs, two genuine sets of springs, rubber boots, rear dampers too 😊

I don’t plan to necessarily fit them, but to have a spare set to go with the car is a great comfort to me.

P.S number 500 started its refresh journey today. I will start posting photos soon. Hopefully it will be up to a standard the group can be proud of 😎

Best regards to you all Andrew