Reaction score
Ive noticed something when i break going round a medium corner at around 70 -80mph...not a harsh break a general one, the back end swings up and makes me very nervous to thrash the fiesty beast.....dosent do it as much on right handers. i never noticed befor but i had a full set of £65 budget tyres fitted........they feel really loose, is this the root of my cause, saying that i nearly lost it with a full set of exalto's at the limits (2mm) at 80mph

hyb

Reaction score
Any breaking on corners at high speed is going to upset the weight distribution. In racing terms if you try it your gonna lose a lot of time and stability. Kill the speed before the corner then nail it coming out

Day

Reaction score
Sounds like the rear shocks.

Bit of an achilles heel with the 172.

Reaction score
I think the budget tyres are probably a false economy. The Exaltos have less flexible sidewalls and compliment the suspension. Michelin would probably last (a bit) longer too. Would also depend if you backed off the throttle too, all this reminds me why I check under the boot carpet when I buy quick front wheel drive cars ;)

Reaction score
whats under the boot carpet?? i v had the 182 from new the back end has sat at the same height all through its life and still is very rigid.. me thinks its cos of tyres and road serface

Reaction score
By checking under the boot carpet you can see if the original finish is consistent. If it's had a rear-ender then the evidence will be there. It's unlikely that the tyres on the car now perform to the same spec as the Michelin Exaltos that the car was designed to run on. Lift-off oversteer is common on high performance front wheel drive cars when you take your foot off the acceleration mid corner, the back end will naturally want to swap ends with the front. It's much easier to correct a rear wheel drive car in an oversteer situation, quite what a front wheel drive car does in those circumstances is in the lap of the gods with a mere mortal at the wheel, because you're not exactly inclined to put your foot back on the gas when you're travelling sideways towards a tree at ninety in fourth ;) I'd say, check the shocks are damping correctly, make sure there's no bushes hanging out at the rear, then you're narrowing it down to the new tyres. As for the road there's too many circumstances to describe to promote your problem.