Reaction score
I need help guys. am gonna get a turbo conv from ktec for my full fat 182, what will i need to do extra to the engine so that is doesnt blow. only gonna run around 15- 20psi. help help help. want it done soon

Reaction score
what does Gay -tec charge for such a conversion ???

id imagine that to get this conversion done right it would cost in the region of 6k and i doubt ull be able to run 15- 20 psi ...
and for a reliable setup it would need the engine completely rebuilt with forged low comp pistons and maybe sum stronger rods and the all impotant fully mappable ecu ..

id rather try and get my hands on a 255 engine and transplant that in the clio

theres a guy on the rtoc thats got a ren5 gt turbo running a 172 lump thats been turbo'd and it certainly produces the power not sure how acurate the figures are but its supposedly 250 bhp and only running 5 psi .... does the q/m in 12secs summit , from what ive heard they need stronger rods to be able to go above the 300bhp mark..

Reaction score
What's the point?

If you're after a fast car then you've bought the wrong car as a base on which to substantially increase the power output.

Waste of money.

O.

Reaction score
=CatasTrophy= said:
theres a guy on the rtoc thats got a ren5 gt turbo running a 172 lump thats been turbo'd and it certainly produces the power not sure how acurate the figures are but its supposedly 250 bhp and only running 5 psi .... does the q/m in 12secs summit , from what ive heard they need stronger rods to be able to go above the 300bhp mark..

theres also someone on cliosport.net whos turbod his 172. running about 260bhp.

Reaction score
Check out BB tunings website, they have some reports and a couple of small videos of the development of their 172/182 turbo kit.

The kits that BB and K-tec offer both include a full engine rebuild with new low comp pistons etc, but my main worry is that as these kits are still relatively new, some weak point may have been missed, for example the rods, and after a few months of motoring you will be back in for another rebuild...

I have also heard that the gearbox in the 172/182's are not very strong, and with abuse or too much power will suffer badly, and then there are the engine mounts which don't seem strong enough on the std car, so how can they possibly handle such a pumped up engine. If you check out the vids of BB's 172 Turbo on the rollers you'll see what I mean, the engine movement is scary! :shock:

Not had any first hand experience of a 172/182 turbo yet, but I got to check out one of BB's turbo conversions on the older Clio 16v at a RR day earlier this year and that was awesome - made 217 bhp at the wheels! Guy who owned it did say he had spent thousands on it (around £15k just on the engine) but he did not have a bad word to say about it.

Reaction score
Sorry, have to agree with Ollie here.

If you want a faster car, just go and buy one !!!

Reaction score
If I had 5 to 10 K that what i've send the money Just a shame that the gearbox not very strong.

Day

Reaction score
There was a guy at a meet recently who had a BBTuning one.

Had loads of trouble getting the power down and was beaten in drag race by a bog standard 172...

Reaction score
Probably time to buy an Impreza or an Evo. I bought and sold an Evo 8 a couple of months ago and what a car. Very old school inside etc, but omg it had some go in it and the traction was out of this world, it was an FQ 320 and was available for about £17000. Have a go in one before you lash out on the Clio mods.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i'd ditch the clio and by a 1999 m3 evo (e36). They'll take you to your driving limit and beyond and can be bought for less than £15k now. fairly modern interiors and not much will touch you unless you cruise up next to a gallardo or something - and then the drivers got to be nuts to try and beat you if your committed.... Been there and done it and you can see the whites of their eyes when they realise your not giving up!!!! boy that was fun :)

Reaction score
Cue said:
i'd ditch the clio and by a 1999 m3 evo (e36). They'll take you to your driving limit and beyond and can be bought for less than £15k now. fairly modern interiors and not much will touch you unless you cruise up next to a gallardo or something - and then the drivers got to be nuts to try and beat you if your committed.... Been there and done it and you can see the whites of their eyes when they realise your not giving up!!!! boy that was fun :)

Good advise, the bit at the end was very funny :D