Reaction score
PaulTrophy002 said:
Yea right 3 months difference in age from start to finish BIG DEAL. Mine was registered on June 21st 2005 and they ended around the end of Sep 2005 so 3 months is a real long time.
Plus if you would rather take number 500 with say 20-40k miles which has had a number of accidents and owners, or a low number Trophy thats on its second owner that is mint with 9500 miles.
Id have to agree that paying more money for a car with more miles, owners and in worse condition sounds like you really no what your going on about.!!!!!!! NOT.

I would pay more for 002/500 because I would call myself a Trophy fan now and I think it would be cool to own the first available number. I would also pay more for 500/500 for similar reasons. Probably £1000 more if the condition/mileage.ownership/service history was right. If I could have any number I wanted though, I would pick 298/500 because it's Permagarded, has a re-map, numbered mats and is nearest to my front door. :)

I don't think Gareth was saying he would pay more for a worse car that was newer Paul, and being one of the only people to have owned 2 Trophy's and tested one to destruction, he's got some Trophy noddle. Come on - it's not Cliosport, we're all friends here. :lol:

Reaction score
Been reading this post surely a cars condition is most important in deciding whether to buy it or not and a number on the seat has little relevance, trophys will always command a higher price due to there limited run but will still depreciate like everything else. Comparing a trophy to a an rs500 is somewhat optimistic i doubt very much many of these cars will be around in twenty years mainly due to the mileages being put on them now and also the fact that an rs500 is a homologation special for the 80s touring car championship. When i get my trophy i intend to enjoy it for the car it is and not worry about resale value.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Another voice of reason on the forum :) . Why don't you open another thread, tell us what you've got and what you're looking at.

Reaction score
williams said:
Been reading this post surely a cars condition is most important in deciding whether to buy it or not and a number on the seat has little relevance, trophys will always command a higher price due to there limited run but will still depreciate like everything else. Comparing a trophy to a an rs500 is somewhat optimistic i doubt very much many of these cars will be around in twenty years mainly due to the mileages being put on them now and also the fact that an rs500 is a homologation special for the 80s touring car championship. When i get my trophy i intend to enjoy it for the car it is and not worry about resale value.

welcome to the site! nice first post too - hope you find some useful info on here before making your purchase - agree with your attitude on driving and enjoying the car :D

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i think the point has been misread.

Yes a car's age, condition, milage etc will have more of an effect on value than the number of the car..... but, all things being equal or relativly so, in 10 years time no2 should hold a slight premium over number 274 from a buyer perspective.

obviously as I own 274 and it's going to have the best care and attention that I bestow on it I doubt that it will actually be the case - see the example of that Mk1 Fiesta that had a reserve of £26k+ on ebay before xmas.

If you were offered two Trophy's - both brand new, unregistered so age is irrelavent. Would you pick No.2 or No. 274 ? It'd be No. 2 for me.

Ideal would be:

# 00
# 1
# 500
# 2
# 182

After that it doesn't really matter does it? There all exactly the same when they leave the factory anyway, it's not like some one specified sat nav on theirs!

Reaction score
I think its all rather daft. Sure 182 would be kinda neat, but who cares whether you got the last one, first one, it appeared in AutoExpress, etc... there's only 490 something right handers remaining. Like the kids on the small buses, they're all special :D
The ones in the middle are probably the best put together, after they worked out any early assembly line teething problems and before they got to the end and just wanted to get them off the line and go on holidays :wink:

Reaction score
In my humble opinion (please don't criticise it - it is just my viewpoint): I would much rather not have an early car is it is more likely that the car has been a press model (first ones available) and *may* have lead a hard life (e.g. lots of people in/out of the car which may lead to faster seat bolster wear etc.). For me, the first ten cars would be more of a put off than the remaining 490. But this is just me, and for others the reverse would be true. It is also a minor point. The only exclusion to this theory is if the car was not registered when you bought it and you knew for sure (and can prove it in th future to the next buyer) that it was never owned or driven by anyone but you. I don't think you could say that for car #1...

Other than that minor personal opinion, the number of the car to me makes no difference. I would choose overall condition, type of road driven on, number of tyres consumed and service history as overriding factors compared to the car number any day :). I may also value a number plate with the car if it means that financially I am in a better situation come liquidation time :) For example, T20PHY may sway the decision if the car is price equally to a car without a special number plate ;)

O.

Reaction score
Steve Gunnis said:
Come on - it's not Cliosport, we're all friends here. :lol:

Lol... now who is the snob? :lol: :lol: J/K (incase people are wondering what I'm on about: URL Click me happy baby) :lol: :lol: :lol:

We all need an Ace Cafe meet so we can meet in person and talk about this... we're all nice people and you can't always tell on the 'net :(

Time to start another Ace Cafe poll for a meet!!! Woohoo!

O.

Reaction score
Cant see the number of car making any difference... Car is going to lose value regardless of number. :lol:

Reaction score
...and here's the other. Not sure why the links were dead but I assume you're happy now. Sorry to crush your conspiracy theory! :wink: