Reaction score
My Trophy is more than likely going to be sold unless it gets an 11th hour reprieve to help fund my wedding. At present im running upgraded brakes, maxogen and CAT back exaust. I have been looking at the resale prices on numberous websites and quite frankly the secondhand prices are shockingly low.

To make the car more available to the open market im thinking about removing all of my mods and putting OEM ones back on. I can do this as my girlfriend will be keeping her cupped 182 so i can use that as a parts bin (exaust is sound and its brakes have recently been replaced at part of service) and i have the original air box and filter.

If i go down the standard route would it be more attactive to buyers? and secondly would taking off the mods alter the price? Thirdly would putting on newish 182 OEM brakes be detrimental to the car? I think i will be looking for £9K ono for a 55 reg 18K mile A1 example with FRSH

Also the benfits of doing this is that i can enjoy all the mods on the cupped 182!

Reaction score
would do if they fetched any money, selling the Trophy will mean getting a fair bit more cash over and above the 182. having a wedding is an expensive business :(

Reaction score
Personally I have found that you never recoup anything like the original cost of the mod.

Changing it back to standard will reduce the hit on the 'T' and you still get to enjoy the mods on the CUP. Also, a standard 'T' may have more appeal.

Good luck with the wedding :D

Reaction score
Delay the wedding ?

To me an unmodified car is definately more appealing, especially on a ltd ed car like the trophy. When I've been looking in the past I've been put off by modified cars in casse they've been bedly fitted, it can always make them seem like they've been owned by a boy racer, even if they are slightly subtle. But to people in the know a trophy with a maxogen and a yozza exhaust is a real catch.

Like you say, if you put it back to unmodified you could still enjoy the mods on the cup, it would be a shame to let them go if you didn't really gain any extra money from them.

Reaction score
I agree that when I was looking for my Trophy, I was a little deterred by mods, much in the same way as I was looking specifically for a car that had not been tracked either. At the end of the day, a pristine standard car is likely to generate more interest on a wider scale (Only in my opinion) because it leaves potential for anyone interested in modding and it looks more enticing for anyone who wants an unmolested original example as such. :)

Note to Jimboss, come along to the Essex meet this weekend whilst you still have the Trophy! :wink:

Reaction score
I'm looking at the moment, I won't even consider a car if it is modified.

Hell, I clicked off one the other day because I spotted it had aero wipers :lol:

Reaction score
Mods could be put into 3 categories - essential, performance and cosmetic.

The new buyer should look at each one in turn and ask what does it add to the car ??, if a mod is bolt on - bolt off and the original parts are supplied then it shouldn't be a big deal - might have saved him/her a job !. If there are holes or welds on the body that shouldn't be there then time maybe to walk away.

Reaction score
I think the brakes, tunepoint, wiper stalk would fall into that essential-ish category and would think that anyone who has done their research when looking for Trophy would see those as beneficial... certainly exhaust, engine, garrish ICE would probably be looked upon with a lot less enthusiasm.
Of course eloping would really be the best solution in this instance :D

Reaction score
Vegasphil said:

Hell, I clicked off one the other day because I spotted it had aero wipers :lol:

Why not :?

Disappointing if you were looking at mine and dismissed it for such a trivial reasons

Reaction score
Vegasphil said:

Buy your standard motor & prepare for the bills to come in.

Standard brakes are pish & most will be rusted inside, exhausts rot etc etc.

Hello bills :lol:

Reaction score
^^

Well that rules vegasphil out being interested in buying mine. I hope to generate some interest in the car soon otherwise i may have to keep it a little longer :)

Reaction score
g40steve said:
Vegasphil said:

Buy your standard motor & prepare for the bills to come in.

Standard brakes are pish & most will be rusted inside, exhausts rot etc etc.

Hello bills :lol:

Exactly Steve, none of our cars ever had silly mods, every one was an educated choice to bring an improvement and future saving

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Vegasphil said:

That's a little narrow minded, so you wouldn't want mine? 9k, serviced and worked on by RenTech, Mark Fish and Angleworks, Garaged, washed and polished regularly, never tracked, always warmed before going over 3000revs because it's got an Orbisoud, Brembo discs, Pagid RS4-2 and Maxogen amongst others, arguably the best mods you can do?

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
i think the view is based on the general perceptions of modifications, we all know that there are very few Trophys that have been ruined. But a new owner may be put off thinking it'd been max powered without understanding what modifications had taken place and the reasons.

Did anyone see 5th gear this week with their modifications on the Golf GTi? Basically the same mods (minus the suspension changes) that we've been doing, they said it was the best 2nd hand example available and still classified it as standard as it looked standard.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
^^Aye, pretty much what i was about to say, i can understand why people make those remarks, which is one of the real beauties of this site, it allows you to track cars and their owners and get, mostly, a truer idea of a cars history.

Reaction score
That's it, It's just the way i look at cars.

The most hypocritical thing is that I would buy it and straight away do the mods myself :lol:

I'll keep looking ;)

Reaction score
Vegasphil said:
That's it, It's just the way i look at cars.

The most hypocritical thing is that I would buy it and straight away do the mods myself :lol:

I'll keep looking ;)

Don't keep looking just buy mine. Top of the range mods, brand new aux + cam belt at only 30 000, That means no major services until 66k!!!!!!!!!