Reaction score
Having had a plethora of hot hatches (and having the Trophy for 1 week) I can honestly say that i don't think that you could do much better than a trophy for everyday use. I traded in my Elise for this car and I believe its quicker!

More than anything you get the feeling from the driving experience that everything is "pukka" under the skin. The suspension and drivetrain compliment themselves totally.

Yes, I might have driven past an Evo 8 and E46 Csl today on the M25 but i honestly believe that the stuff in my 10 grand trophy is just as good if not better than those marks. The Evo is great but electronics make that car what it is. The Trophy has been crafted. The people that put this car together really knew what they were doing. You know that the Trophy is the pinnacle. You can keep your 197 the trophy is for me!

Karl.

Reaction score
You're spot on Karlos.

My last car before the Trophy was an E46 M3 SMG that was heavily modified with coilovers and a few choice CSL parts.

I can honestly say the ownership experience with the Trophy is so much better.

Reaction score
7MAT said:
You're spot on Karlos.

My last car before the Trophy was an E46 M3 SMG that was heavily modified with coilovers and a few choice CSL parts.

I can honestly say the ownership experience with the Trophy is so much better.

Don't know about you but I think its the fact that there's just enough power but not too much. I think you can have too much power. The car encourages you to push harder and harder but it never scares you. Although you have to be aware that in the Trophy you're carrying much more speed into corners (and thus if/when it lets go you're going to be in more trouble) the way it loses grip is so progressive. Having commuted in an Elise for 7 months and having built myself up to Lotus ownership for a long time, it was, in hindsight a disappointment.

Some of my badge snob mates have given me serious stick for trading in a Lotus for a Clio but they haven't got behind the wheel of the Trophy! That puts a smile on your face! ;-)

Reaction score
Karlos said:
Some of my badge snob mates have given me serious stick for trading in a Lotus for a Clio but they haven't got behind the wheel of the Trophy!

Are they the sort of people who think "Scoobies" are "cool"?

It's just ignorance isnt it :p

Reaction score
DaveTrophy said:
Karlos said:
Some of my badge snob mates have given me serious stick for trading in a Lotus for a Clio but they haven't got behind the wheel of the Trophy!

Are they the sort of people who think "Scoobies" are "cool"?

It's just ignorance isnt it :p

Yup!

BMW 330i and TT owners. Lol!

Karl.

Reaction score
great post, exactly what the trophy (and other clio sports are about)

people who have faster cars in a straight line who have not driven any car like the trophy have no idea whatsoever, what the trophy is about!!!

glad you are loving it!

Reaction score
I actually quite like the inverse snobbery element of saying slightly bashfully that I own a Clio, and leaving it at that.

It's usually my snobbier other half that then elaborates.

Reaction score
Matt X2C said:
great post, exactly what the trophy (and other clio sports are about)

people who have faster cars in a straight line who have not driven any car like the trophy have no idea whatsoever, what the trophy is about!!!

glad you are loving it!

Totally agree, the point is we drive these cars because of what they deliver in terms of driving experience and not necessarily looks from passers by. If you've got a flash car then great, "fill your boots", but IMO there's no better feeling than driving something which is the real deal. It is the real deal and so makes you feel special because of that anyway. I could honestly aceept paying £20k for this car. Glad it only cost me 10k tho! Its a bargain!

Reaction score
Johnnytheboy said:
I actually quite like the inverse snobbery element of saying slightly bashfully that I own a Clio, and leaving it at that.

It's usually my snobbier other half that then elaborates.
(tup)

Reaction score
Im with you fella.

Weve had 2 evos, a 6 and an 8( FQ400), in the past and an sti scoob, but we're just loving the clio at the moment.

The rice racers are good, but just sooo expensive to run :shock: Wouldnt have another one tbh. Try a trackday in one of these big saloons, the car comes away needing, new tyres, brakes and having consumed masses of feul. Go in the clio and youll have much more fun and not come home worrying about what has to be replaced.

We "downgraded" from 2 cars to just the Trophy to save £££ to afford the new house. Now we're settled the chat has been about getting a more expensive car again, but tbh im just not interested and going to digg my heels in here, quite happy with the little clio and its gotta stay - unless talk moves to a 911, the force is strong with that one :lol: :lol:

Reaction score
I ve recently considered buying a different car for a need of space but in all honesty nothing comes close to the Trophy. Test drove a few Impreza WRX's and found little difference compared to the clio.

Get the Clio to the Ring and you'll see what you can do, as I ve said before when Dave took me round in his I could not believe how quick he made it!!

Plus another plus point is that with the Clio being light weight it's quite econ friendly.

Only thing I d trade for at mo is Megane in white. BUT CANT AFFORD!!

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
I ve recently considered buying a different car for a need of space but in all honesty nothing comes close to the Trophy. Test drove a few Impreza WRX's and found little difference compared to the clio.

Get the Clio to the Ring and you'll see what you can do, as I ve said before when Dave took me round in his I could not believe how quick he made it!!

Plus another plus point is that with the Clio being light weight it's quite econ friendly.

Only thing I d trade for at mo is Megane in white. BUT CANT AFFORD!!

Ring next year! :twisted:

Btw are there any plans for a 'RIng/Stelvio type event in the near future. When i was with the Lotus these sorts of things were always being arranged!

Would be cool to see if we could get the Trophies together one day? Somewhere central for all (Midlands or something like that?)

Karl.

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
By the way guys are you lot loaded? With all these cars? Or am I just woung being 24!

Thats the problem! I couldn't afford to keep these cars! I graduated from my 106 GTi thru to Golf GTi Mk 4 (crap), onto Civic Type R (not bad), Golf Gti Mk5 (excellent-a little too good tbh-got bored with i v quickly tbh!), onto the Elise 111R then onto my Trophy!

We all chase the next big thing but if we're honest, a lot of the time our expectations are not met.

The two best cars I've ever had are the 106 and the Trophy and they cost £10k each! Handy really!

Karl.

Reaction score
Always wanted a 106 gti but could never find a good one. Do like the Golf GTI, but can understand how it is boring bit too composed!! Mr Averages favorite car.

Yeah I reckon anymove away from Trophy would have to be special. Still want a motorbike but thats a diff story!!

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
Always wanted a 106 gti but could never find a good one. Do like the Golf GTI, but can understand how it is boring bit too composed!! Mr Averages favorite car.

Yeah I reckon anymove away from Trophy would have to be special. Still want a motorbike but thats a diff story!!

The Mk5 Gti is good at everything but maybe thats why i got bored so quickly! Strange!

Don't tempt me with bikes! I've been successfully disuaded by my mum and g/f's on many previous occasions but its a scratch that WILLbe itched at some stage! Just hope i survive to tell the tale!?!? :roll:

Reaction score
trophy176 said:
I am up for a meet plus Ring adventure all Trophy's together.

Definitely up for a meet and then we can discuss the 'Ring trip?

Are you going to the Renaultsport Xmas meet? I'm tempted now!

Maybe we could set up a separate Post asking for feeback on a devoted Trophy meet and also a Trophy trip to the 'Ring?!?!

Karl.