Reaction score
After months of waiting our local Tesco's have just got the 99 RON fuel in. Since I got the Trophy in October it's always ran on Shell Optimax so thought I'd stick a tank full of Tesco's special in. Bloody hell, if you can find a Tesco's that sell it then stick a tank full in, I burnt £25 last night and it's made such a difference. It's made it much more responsive and the kick you get at 5200rpm when the cams change is much stronger. I've always been sceptical about whether or not Optimax makes a difference but jesus christ this stuff certainly does!

Day

Reaction score
I still reckon Optimax is the better fuel (based on mpg/performance is similar)

Reaction score
JonnyTrophy said:
After months of waiting our local Tesco's have just got the 99 RON fuel in. Since I got the Trophy in October it's always ran on Shell Optimax so thought I'd stick a tank full of Tesco's special in. Bloody hell, if you can find a Tesco's that sell it then stick a tank full in, I burnt £25 last night and it's made such a difference. It's made it much more responsive and the kick you get at 5200rpm when the cams change is much stronger. I've always been sceptical about whether or not Optimax makes a difference but jesus christ this stuff certainly does!

Totally agree with you. I still put a tank of optimax in every 4th fill up for the cleaning properties some say it has over the supermarket brands.

Reaction score
hyb said:
so your saying its better than optimax?

Not saying it's a better fuel for your engine but for performance I'd have to say Tesco's stuff is better, I definitely noticed the difference last night.....

Reaction score
i have used both!!!

And, Optimax i'm afriad, even if it is a single Ron less.

The tesco Finest* lol makes the cars idol lumpy. It felt awesome when you put your foot down, but it just felt chunky, liek the engine was being clogged up with rubbish!

Optimax, generally, better all round

My vote is on Shell!

hope this helps!

Reaction score
Nick C said:
JonnyTrophy said:

Totally agree with you. I still put a tank of optimax in every 4th fill up for the cleaning properties some say it has over the supermarket brands.

You noticed the difference too then mate?

Reaction score
Benny223 said:
i have used both!!!

And, Optimax i'm afriad, even if it is a single Ron less.

The tesco Finest* lol makes the cars idol lumpy. It felt awesome when you put your foot down, but it just felt chunky, liek the engine was being clogged up with rubbish!

Optimax, generally, better all round

My vote is on Shell!

hope this helps!

Not noticed that yet, off out in a minute for another blast so it might bloody blow up now!

Reaction score
Dad used Elf motorsport 112 ron!! for the RR day, didn't make a blind bit of difference :lol:

Reaction score
Ash87 said:
Dad used Elf motorsport 112 ron!! for the RR day, didn't make a blind bit of difference :lol:

:shock: Strange that it did not make any difference, wonder why?

Think I will give the Tesco's 99 RON a go and see if I can feel the difference, been tempted recently, but always get the fear about using a supermarket petrol and end up with Optimax or Ultimate instead!

Reaction score
Ash87 said:

112 RON? Where you get that from, RAF Lakenheath? :D

Reaction score
JonnyTrophy said:
Ash87 said:

112 RON? Where you get that from, RAF Lakenheath? :D
:lol:
Nah someone that does rallying uses it in their car, not sure where its from.

Reaction score
Filled up with Tesco 99 for the 1st time at the weekend.

It must take the ECU some time to adjust as hyb mentioned, as I've always used optimax. The last tank of optimax did me about 330miles, best i've ever done. This 99 stuff seemed to leak out of the side of the tank!! After 90 miles i'd used half a tank, then I think the ECU had adjusted and it's now using it at a more acceptable rate.

Not sure about any increased performance though, waiting for a dry day to test 2nd gear out!

5p a litre cheaper than shell anyways.

Reaction score
I've just been out to get some fags and thought sod it, I'll have a another blast. I'm now 100% certain that this 99RON fuel makes my car quicker. Gonna have another blast with my mate in his 225 LCR, he spanks me at the minute because it's Revo'd but he'll switch it back to standard. Had a go before and it was the same till a ton and then he pulled away but I reckon I'll do slightly better with this stuff in. My mate has just mapped his Evo 8 on this fuel instead of Optimax and he can tell the difference now, it's not day and night quicker but he reckons it's quicker......

Reaction score
Not sure mate, don't think so, just says Super Unleaded on the pumps with a big green circle with 99 in the middle.