Reaction score
am i the only person here thats had issues with the swirl marks ?
through the day they r invisible but at night under street light it looks really bad ......
according to the guy today at the dealers he recons its just that the red paint shows it up more ,
i recon it was just a bad valet that has caused the swirls :(

they recon the only thing they can do is give it a machine polish which im not so sure about ???

would this mean that the supa gaurd would need done again ?
and i have concerns that a machine polish may cause more swirls ?
what you guys think i should do ?

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sounds like it needs a polish with a PC random orbital polisher to me. Will help remove the existing swirls and is almost impossible to introduce new ones, unlike a normal orbital polisher

Polisher%20Stuff.jpg

I'd gladly offer to do it for you, but your a few miles away from Southampton :p

Reaction score
Cool! My company is called Sonus. :)

And no, you are definitely not the only person with swirl marks. I have swirl marks over the whole car. So many people do such a crap job these days.

Luckily for me I know I guy who can sort it too...

Reaction score
=CatasTrophy= said:
am i the only person here thats had issues with the swirl marks ?
through the day they r invisible but at night under street light it looks really bad ......
according to the guy today at the dealers he recons its just that the red paint shows it up more ,
i recon it was just a bad valet that has caused the swirls :(

they recon the only thing they can do is give it a machine polish which im not so sure about ???

would this mean that the supa gaurd would need done again ?
and i have concerns that a machine polish may cause more swirls ?
what you guys think i should do ?

Get some Finesse polish and use a proper applicator pad and take off with a micro fibre cloth, polish in a straight line and take off in a straight line, do this a few times and it will become glass mate, trust me! Used this on my old Focus RS and it worked a treat.

Reaction score
mines is going back to the dealers to be polished properly and have the supa gaurd reapplyed on thursday :)

i have kicked up a fuss about it with renault and so should any1 else that has swirl marks on the paint its just not fuckin on , i recon my dealer hates me but i dont give a fuck u have to let them no all the faults even if they r little 1's

ill let u no how i get on fingers crossed , they dont buff the paint off ....

Reaction score
Been a while since i posted this thread , anyway i let the dealers do the machine polish and it made no diff ,infact it may have made it worse , so ive just kinda lived with it , anyway a year has passed now and ive been noticing it more and more lately :(

so i went on the hunt to find someone that could fix this paint defect , decided to part with my hard earned and try these guys.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/

heres the reults

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/car-care-380/5 ... rophy.html

Reaction score
Have you thought about having it Permagarded?

Alledgedly no swirl marks with it. Although I cannot confirm this as I had 353 done on Monday and all its done is P**S it down since. :cry:

Reaction score
=CatasTrophy= said:
permagaurd wont cover or hide swirl marks that are already there , its just a paint sealent the same as Supagaurd

Permagard will though. :wink:

The first thing they do is lookover your car and give you a quote, there's a premium for the car not being new, because they will get it up to the same standard as a new car, the polymer basically fills in the microscratches to give a perfect finish.

Reaction score
nice Focus RS reflections in them last pictures.....

my permaguarded Trophy was starting to have evident swirl marks and that was with me washing and drying it as directed........

Reaction score
Gareth

Have you had a word with whoever applied the Permagard?

It's got a 12 month guarantee on it. If you're not happy take it back and show them.

Its alot of dosh to pay out if the coating doesn't last.

Reaction score
Steve Gunnis said:
[quote="=CatasTrophy=":2i0wytx1]permagaurd wont cover or hide swirl marks that are already there , its just a paint sealent the same as Supagaurd

The first thing they do is lookover your car and give you a quote, there's a premium for the car not being new, because they will get it up to the same standard as a new car, the polymer basically fills in the microscratches to give a perfect finish.[/quote:2i0wytx1]

I'm really not convinced of permaguard (or any paint "treatments" available)...

I can't see what's different to giving the car a proper wash, clay and decent wax except for they make it sound scientific by using words like "polymer" and "microscratches" - it just reminds me of the pseudo-science in shampoo adverts..

If I was going to spend the some money getting my paint sorted it'd be taken to a decent detailer to bring up to standard and then wax with a decent xymol/mothers/AN Other wax of choice which would give me decent baseline with which to continue waxing and keeping the paint in good condition.

Reaction score
Wax melts and picks up dirt then cools and hardens with the dirt in it. It's rubbish, that's why you have to keep re-doing it, I hate pseudo-science too, I used the term micro-scratches because describing swirling as small scratches implies the paint is damaged in some way. Permagard is described as a polymer because it is a plastic, very hard and not even related to a wax, (apart from the fact they're both hydrocarbons).

Enough of the pseudo-science, take your Xymol'd car down to Brighton and compare it with mine after it has rained, I think you'll be off to Permagard. Especially after a week when your wax has washed off.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
=CatasTrophy= said:
permagaurd wont cover or hide swirl marks that are already there , its just a paint sealent the same as Supagaurd

oh dear..... this old one again - permagard is to Ferrari what supaguard is to Lada mate. That's all i'm going to say.

Reaction score
Have a look on this site www.detailingworld.co.uk . When i got my pc i got all the help and advice from here . Once the swirl marks are out its then down to how you wash it to keep them out ie no sponge two buckets so you don't put a dirty mit into the clean water and so on .

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
fazedesign said:
Steve Gunnis said:
[quote="=CatasTrophy=":3mli4ser]permagaurd wont cover or hide swirl marks that are already there , its just a paint sealent the same as Supagaurd

The first thing they do is lookover your car and give you a quote, there's a premium for the car not being new, because they will get it up to the same standard as a new car, the polymer basically fills in the microscratches to give a perfect finish.

I'm really not convinced of permaguard (or any paint "treatments" available)...

I can't see what's different to giving the car a proper wash, clay and decent wax except for they make it sound scientific by using words like "polymer" and "microscratches" - it just reminds me of the pseudo-science in shampoo adverts..

If I was going to spend the some money getting my paint sorted it'd be taken to a decent detailer to bring up to standard and then wax with a decent xymol/mothers/AN Other wax of choice which would give me decent baseline with which to continue waxing and keeping the paint in good condition.[/quote:3mli4ser]

Faze, Have you seen a car that has been permagarded? or is the opinion based on theory?

Gaz - as stated go see Mike, the guarentee will cover re-application if it's failing. Mines still like new after 9 months now :)

Reaction score
I still cant see why u think the swirls/ micro scratches would be removed by applying Permagaurd its still only a sealant ...

Maybe the Permagaurd will do a good job if it is applyed after the car has been detailed and swirls removed but to just apply the Permagaurd on a car that has paint defects will have no benefit .

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
=CatasTrophy= said:
I still cant see why u think the swirls/ micro scratches would be removed by applying Permagaurd its still only a sealant ...

Maybe the Permagaurd will do a good job if it is applyed after the car has been detailed and swirls removed but to just apply the Permagaurd on a car that has paint defects will have no benefit .

God works in mysterious ways........

no really, permagard is more than a sealant - swirl marks are microscopic scratches that are suface scratches - thea reason you can see them is light reflects diifferently of them. Permagard 'fills' in these microscratches so you can no longer see the swirls.

I'd draw you a diagram to explain but i cant so wont......

An example of how good it works is my father is a numpty when it comes to cleaning his car - he used to use washing up liquid. As we know washing up liquid has powerful deagreasers and aggitants that are designed to revmove burnt on food from metal.

Well it also fecks up paint on metal (does a good job of getting rid of paint from brushes also) his car was the king of swirl marks - he had it proffesionally valetted on numerous occasions (he's not short of a few bob) to get rid of them but they always returned within a week or two.

He had his car permagard and they vanished. that was 6 months ago and they still haven't returned. I've seen this with my own eyes..... I'm not gooing on opinion but fact.