stop the spammers ruining this board!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
From what i'm aware, when you register you have to type in the letters/words from like a random word generator, and I believe this is to stop automated spam bots from registering?

I believe the majority of the spam is done personally.

Reaction score
I signed in first thing this morning and the whole board was spam! Check this link out - http://www.stopforumspam.com/

seems to have a list of top forum spammers and there IP-addresses. Perhaps there is a way we can block there IP's or at least try and reduce the amount that we're getting.

I'm a regular on the Rallye Register and I can quite confidently say that I have never seen spam on there notice board.

I'm not sure if CS has suffered with it, any ideas?

Perhaps it's time to update the site on a new updated platform.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
One particular user wu123 has been banned 6 times in 3 weeks. By username, email and ip. Those are the only ways of banning people yet they still seem to be able to get through the net... I'm at a loss... #-o

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue said:
One particular user wu123 has been banned 6 times in 3 weeks. By username, email and ip. Those are the only ways of banning people yet they still seem to be able to get through the net... I'm at a loss... #-o

I banned him again this morning, this time by username.

No doubt he'll return as wu1234

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
BenG said:
Cue said:

I banned him again this morning, this time by username.

No doubt he'll return as wu1234

As predicted, wu1234 appeared at 4am !
:roll:

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
As an update, the forum has been updated to the latest version and also the registration process has changed so more human input is required. Hopefully we should now see a reduction in the number of spammers!

(spam!)