Reaction score
After having started this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7506

about the Trophys ESP + SERV lights coming on together (not serv + airbag like most get), i am wondering if that guy in 2006 was right that when these lights come on the T needs a new steering rack? Hope not...

What sort of symptoms would you get if the rack were to 'go'? The steering feels as taught and responsive as the day i got it, almost 18k ago.

Have checked the old brake sensor that many people talk about, out it seems to be working just fine. Plus, the lights never come on during braking or cornering, just normal 30-50mph driving in 4th or 5th gear.

Can anyone shed any light as to what the hell could be going on under the bonnet/arches as this is starting to annoy me...

Cheers folks!!

Reaction score
On my old 182 this used to happen, even from it being brand new, took it in and the reno stealers said they had fixed it, then it came back a few weeks later, took it back in and they said there was nothing wrong with it. I had that car for 2yrs and the ESP +SERV light came a few times but never lead to any problems. Although my gear box did die at 32k but dont think it had anything to do with the lights coming on???
It even happened in the Trophy when i first bought it.
Im not saying there is nothing wrong with the car, there very well maybe, just in my experience its nothing.
Remember its French so it wont have a clue what it doing.
Im not sure of the symptoms of the steering rack going but in sure you would be able to tell if it had.

Reaction score
Have you replaced the brake switch yet though?

If not, even if you do think it probably isn't this i'd put a new one on first before you start worrying about it being anything else. They cost about £12 from renault.

When the switches start playing about it will put the esp+serv light on even if your not braking or cornering.

Gman

Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys. There really doesnt seem anything at all wrong with 007, nothin has changed in the steering or anything. I did think that symptoms of a new rack would be pretty glaring and obvious!!

Thanks for the advice, i'll go and get a new switch and get that changed and see what happens.

thanks again

Reaction score
From my experience on Mercs, (and Renaults may be TOTALLY different, I don't know, but..) the brake light switch would put the esp warning light on without any symptoms of a fault on the car, everything would work just fine. It wouldn't surprise me if the brake light switch on these are the same crappy part as on the mercs.. :(

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
It wouldn't surprise me if the brake light switch on these are the same crappy part as on the mercs..

£5 says its even crappier than the Mercs ! :wink: