Reaction score
Hi everyone, i have recently been getting a squeeking sound from what i think is the passenger top mount / all the way down to the wheel ( i cannot pin point where the noise is).

It happens when its dry as when its raining the noise goes away so all i can presume is that something needs greasing!!

It occurs also when stationary whilst turning the wheel 99% of the time to the left but also occurs when going over bumps.

I have attempted to grease the mount which stopped it for a short duration but soon returned.

I am just wondering as to any ideas of stopping this?? Or is it time for new ones??

I have read that other owners have also had this problem but there is never an outcome??

Thanks in advance Elliott.

Reaction score
Hiya

My trophy has started to do same

I suspect n/s/f shocker top mount too

I'm gonna order a pair and put them on and see if it cures it but I'm 99% sure it will cure it.

Reaction score
I'd say top mounts too - change 'em. Not a good idea to grease the rubber, depending on what you use it may perish the mount (in the medium to long term). iirc there is a metal bearing surface within which may have corroded?? I went down the stm route on my one.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Out of interest how much is a pair of top mounts from renault?
Is it an easy job?

I paid around £100 for a pair of Renault Top Mounts from 'NW Performance'.

To fit them you have to remove the Dampers, therefore you will have to get the geometry reset afterwards, which makes the job more costly. Removing the top mount from the damper rod involves taking the preload out of the spring so you should use spring compressors. Other than that is mainly removing nuts and bolts. You will require a 21mm deep offset ring spanner to remove the top mount nut.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Matbrown said:
BenG said:
To fit them you have to remove the Dampers, therefore you will have to get the geometry reset afterwards,

Why's that?

Why's what? Remove dampers- because the major part of the top mount is inside the turret and taking it off requires releasing the spring.
Geometry reset-because by removing the damper this will be altered.

Reaction score
Despite what you think Hoolio is right - if you like, as an experiment, take them apart - put on new tm's then do nowt else; let me know if everything feels 100% after.

You can always do a search on " why does my steering feel twitchy and nervous" ( or similar) after :roll:

Reaction score
Hinckley, Leics. *182 breaking for spares*
eljeffo64 said:
Despite what you think Hoolio is right - if you like, as an experiment, take them apart - put on new tm's then do nowt else; let me know if everything feels 100% after.

You can always do a search on " why does my steering feel twitchy and nervous" ( or similar) after :roll:

So what do they adjust to remedy this?
And the way ben spoke, if you remove the dampers from the vehicle and refit them, this would alter the geometry?

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
In the case of removing the dampers and re-fitting them without changing anything then it is very unlikely the dampers will be re-fitted in exactly the same position, if they are not fixed in the exact position then the geometry will change, will it not? Maybe the case would be that the geometry has not changed so much it would need resetting, however, you can't tell if it has changed by looking at it, so it's best to have it looked at properly. I personally would always have it looked at when removing/replacing anything in the suspension department.

Everytime I have removed/re-fitted my dampers the tracking has been out and needed resetting. I'm not to sure why the tracking changes as the trackrods are not adjusted in the process but it always does?

Reaction score
Hmmm i was going to have a go at removing and refitting the dampers and maybe look at the top mounts but spring compressors and goeometry sounds too serious for a sunday afternoon play. Ill just wait till its refurb time.

Reaction score
Mine has also been making an odd noise at low speed, so it may also be the top mounts. Do these have a shelf life? As far as I know they have never been touched on 415. Had the dampers checked last week when I was at ren7oaks having my splitter replaced, and there is no visible signs of leakage on them. Any idea what the top mounts will cost, and whether all four need to be done at once? On a more positive note, visited Charlie at Pro-Speed yesterday and got a new cat back system fitted. Was a long day to go from here in Kent, but well worth the trip. Saw loads of Jap rockets heading to and from the event at Castle Combe yesterday too, and some of the driving on display on the M4 left me a little nonplussed to say the least. Shades of Kam2turbo I'm afraid

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Standard mounts are very poor but don't think they have a life. They are approx £100 for the pair (fronts only).

Had my front dampers refurbed approx 10 months ago and has a suspicion there could be a fault. After taking the wheels off for their yearly clean (behind the spokes), the dampers look fine with a nice gap on each side.

After a CV boot failure a couple of months ago, to say one of the wheels was caped in grease is an understatement!!

Reaction score
Correct, tracking normally (always imo) is the thing - unless you have camber bolts in which case that needs resetting too.

Reaction score
I also had squeeky top mounts on No 16. I changed them for new Renault parts after front shocks were overhauled and had no further problems. Checked tracking after but was within limits.