So, the best Springs?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi guys

Hoping to send off my dampers for refurbishment soon, and would like to fit a new set of springs at the same time as fitting the dampers.

Just intrigued as to which are regarded as the best springs coupled with Trophy dampers?

There are three option I see:

Mark Fish
Eibach Sportline
Cooksports

What do people recommend?

My car is mainly just a fast road car, with the occasional track day a possibility but not a cert. However, I don't mind a harsh ride even though it is my daily.

It would be nice for it to be a tad lower (which I guess any of these springs will do) but I'm not going to opt for the spring which gives the biggest lows. I'm not too interested in it being any lower, it's the performance that matter for me, but that said a subtle drop would be a bonus.

Appreciate any help/opinions.

Ash

Reaction score
Personally I think Mark Fish springs look superb, but I've not tried them.

Sportlines are the best performing spring I've used, but I was happy to make some (very minor) compromise and currently use Cooksports.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I believe Mark Fish Trophy springs are made to match the Front Sachs Dampers.

Reaction score
I just replaced my front springs after one snapped prior to mot. I looked around a bit for alternatives, but couldn't see any good reason not to replace with oem eibachs from renault. The trophy has one of the most respected set ups out there at the end of the day, and for £90 each you get to keep the car standard and have a progressive spring as the trophy was intended. I can't see how the mark fish setup is any more 'matched' what ever that actually means when compared to standard.

The only advantage I can see with an aftermarket spring is to lower the centre of gravity, and who is to say that you are not just harming B road compliance and handling.

Needless to say I think you should keep it standard - and they look great in yellow when new! However at the end of the day if you do change and don't prefer it you can just put the standard springs on, especially when it comes time to sell up. You'll probably never be out of pocket, as these things sell well second hand.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my front springs after one snapped prior to mot. I looked around a bit for alternatives, but couldn't see any good reason not to replace with oem eibachs from renault. The trophy has one of the most respected set ups out there at the end of the day, and for £90 each you get to keep the car standard and have a progressive spring as the trophy was intended. I can't see how the mark fish setup is any more 'matched' what ever that actually means when compared to standard.

The only advantage I can see with an aftermarket spring is to lower the centre of gravity, and who is to say that you are not just harming B road compliance and handling.

Needless to say I think you should keep it standard - and they look great in yellow when new! However at the end of the day if you do change and don't prefer it you can just put the standard springs on, especially when it comes time to sell up. You'll probably never be out of pocket, as these things sell well second hand.

I totally understand what you are saying and i agree.
When i bought my car one spring was broken and i "NEVER" only change one spring so it would be two i would have to order from Renault @ £90 a spring which would have been £180 and a wait for them.

The next best thing to them was a full (front & back) mark fish spring set at £200 or there about delivered next day so it was a no brainer.

I now currently have the following -

Front Sachs X 2 pairs
Front Trophy Yellow Springs X 3 Pairs
Rear Trophy / Cup Springs X 2

So when and if i need to put it back to standard it won't be a problem but the Mark Fish Spring Set Up is Prob the exact same as the standard set up with a lower ride height

Reaction score
I had 2 broken front springs when i took my sachs of for a rebuild so went down the mark fish route with revavled koni rears,the originals were on 90k, don't neglect the rear and just do the front.
I find it slightly firmer at low speeds but its lost none of the compliance over a bumpy b road and gets better the faster you go. Its a better set up for the track as well, less body roll plus its a tad lower and looks the bollocks.
I personally think it could've left the factory like this and suits the character of the car and with this setup, some negative camber, polybushes, a whitline rarb makes it the best small hatch that's ever likely to be made for flat out b road blasts. It handles better on this set up but is a little firmer with the stiffer springs.
Depends on your preference, if i was still using it as a daily driver and not much track use then i would've put the yellow originals on.

Reaction score
Mine had Cooksports on when I bought. Sat well, handled superbly, too harsh for my daily commute of potholes etc!

Put Sportlines on and the ride is much more composed, firm but not jarring. They're a tiny bit lower than yellows, about 10mm IIRC

There's a tiny but more roll than the Cooksports but still a hoot to drive!

Reaction score
In my experience the very best option for a daily is Eibach Sportlines. They're much more forgiving than original springs and/or Cooksports.

Not enough lowz though ;)