Reaction score
Hey guys,

Wonder if anyone can give me some pointers regarding booking snowboard hire/lessons/accomodation in the French Alps - who to book with? I was thinking about going to Val D'isere - I ski'd there before whilst I was at uni... Comments on alternative resorts - recommendations? Looking to be there from 12th Jan for a week so hoping that snow shouldn't be an issue at that time of year...

Any assistance much appreciated - I've never had to book it myself before - trips have always been organised by someone else!!

Reaction score
If you want a good variaty of piste, off piste etc then i could suggest Chamaonix. The only problem with the French Alps at the moment is the lack of snow over the past season. I spent a couple of months in Chamonix. There is good bus services to the Pistes, Fantastic Apres Ski and great off piste for powder days. If you want to make the most of the fresh powder then you need to be up early.

If you do go to Chamonix, then you have to experience the Valle Blanche run. 27km of off piste skiing. You will need to get a guide but it is the most amazing experience i have had. you start at the top of the Aguille du Midi eyeballing Mt Blanc then ski down to town.

You could always try Tignes if you want good snowboarding however. Already plenty of runs open on the glacier.

Reaction score
Oh, am I likely to have any problems with snow fall at that time of year? I had a look at Tignes - some friends of ours go there every year. I couldn't actually see any green runs which put me off a little because I shall be a total beginner snowboarder.. Unless perhaps I missed them...

Chamonix off piste sounds awesome - If I were skiing, I would go there!

Can you suggest any companies to book with?

Reaction score
i learned to ride at tignes so there must be some easy terrain, whether its labelled green or blue, i cant remember. there is definately one small lift which is in the village that is FREE to use (in 2005 it was anyway) which takes you to the top of a beginner slope where you can learn to turn and stop. i spent two days on it before i bought my lift pass, brilliant idea.

Reaction score
Snowfall in the Alps last year was poor all season, especially on the lower slopes, the towns and the lower resorts. I went the first time to Chamonix with Crystal Ski, but after that i just drove out with a few mates and got a private chalet.

Big Foot are a respectable company to use - http://www.bigfoot-travel.co.uk/skiing.asp

Keep checking the snow reports is all i can say at the moment.

Reaction score
Stick to Val d'Isere or Tignes. Chamonix is a bit of a pain as it's basically lots of small areas that are not connected. It's not as good when snow is sparse either.
I've been to Val d'Isere twice over new year and it's been fine as long as you don't go off piste. Lots of space and easy runs and no waiting at the lifts. It also has the glacier. I've seen people in the board park in July when I was biking in Tignes.

No tips for booking sorry. I would sort out hire when you get there. I'ts easy enough and you can shop around.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
Hi there guys,

Don't mean to intrude on this post but I've just booked a ski hol for a week in beginning of Feb in Chamonix. I'm not too bothered about the quality of the location etc as this is my first time EVER doing this stuff - but - will there be snow and will there be enough of it at this time of the year?

But back on subject - I would be interested in some lessons etc.

Reaction score
Hon, have you thought about getting yourself some dry slope lessons beforehand? - Check out Warley Ski slope in Brentwood which should be max 30 mins from you - that's where I learnt before getting onto the slopes.

france is pricey for a beginner, have you looked at bulgaria or austria?
Thanks for all of the advice so far guys. My reason for picking the Alps is that I can get there for free first class Euro star (benefits of having a friend who is an employee ) 8)

No tips for booking sorry. I would sort out hire when you get there. I'ts easy enough and you can shop around.

In terms of booking lift passes lessons etc, is it beneficial to get them as part of a package or sort what I can here and then organise the hire when I get out there?

Reaction score
hon_bris said:
Hi there guys,

Don't mean to intrude on this post but I've just booked a ski hol for a week in beginning of Feb in Chamonix. I'm not too bothered about the quality of the location etc as this is my first time EVER doing this stuff - but - will there be snow and will there be enough of it at this time of the year?
Hon, Before i fractured my spine, i spent a large proportion of my winters out in Chamonix, and found that late jan/feb was pretty good for snowfall and powder. You may well find that there wont be that much snow around the town and you might have to venture a bit higher up the mountains to get some decent stuff. I know last year was a fairly poor winter for coverage.

If you are going to Cham and fancy some late evening munchies, then i highly recommend the guys at Midnight Express on the main high street (if they are still there) Like subway but 1000 times better and great value. :lol:

Reaction score
Not so good for the Eurostar, but the other place in France is Morzine.

About 1 hour from Geneva airport, and a very easy drive.

Snow this year is phenominal already. I snowboarded in mid Nov there this year ('07).

You get on the Portes de Soleil which according to the blurb is the biggest ski area in the world, and from there you can access Avoriaz which is a) high, and b) gets you a great run back to town.

I have friends who run a business there hence I've been there quite a few times.
Worth a look if you haven't checked it out.

Reaction score
I think I'm farily settled on Tignes now - it's pretty high, has plenty of good pistes for beginners and travel there should be easy with a sensible transfer distance from Borg St.Morice.

Now I've just got to sort out the accomodation and lessons... The only thing that I can't control is the weather. Apparently it looks as if, although there has been loads of snow lately, it may not snow again over Christmas which could mean the conditions won't be ideal when we get there. Fingers crossed!!!

Reaction score
What do you guys normally do insurance wise? I've had a quick look and there are appear to be so many factors to take into account. My biggest issue atm is that I may be borrowing a board and bindings which expect to be worth above £250 but I haven't found insurance that covers individual items above £250..

Reaction score
Yikes, they worked out very expensive compared to the competition! :?

So close now, I leave on Friday, woohoo! :D Mind you, I won't be doing anything unless I get this remaining bit sorted!!!

Reaction score
Bonjour from Tignes! Thanks for all of your suggestions guys! It's been snowing here all day and the conditions are apparently great! Boarding lessons start tomorrow morning - just enough time to find some impact shorts I hope :?