Reaction score
:( Hello again. Hope you`re all well.
I`m not...422 is cornering very badly now and not being a mechanic i thought i`d see what your thoughts on this problem are. (visit to garage planned for the end of the week)
The problem is,the car cuts into corners much sharper than it used to do and feels unsteady , almost as if the front wheels want to tuck under the engine and flip the back end up (NOT, like when its cocking a leg on quick tight corners)
This happens at low speeds on tight bends and has made me park it up until it gets looked at.
Just wondered if anyone had the same problems and feelings of fear!! :lol:

ps...i`ll be back online tonight, thanks for any replies.

Reaction score
i just found out that the reason mines was handleing funny was down to the camber and caster being way out on the right side and perfect on the left , i didnt have a camber bolt so ive just had the tracking sorted for now and it feels like a different car .

Id advise a 4 wheel alignment :wink:

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It seems far too easy to shout dampers every time someone gets a problem with handling as it seems things as simple as tyre pressure and wear can affect handling, other things to look at would be cambee and alignment and also worn wishbone bushes. So no easy answers here but if your guys are good they should be able to identify the problem.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I will let you know what the garage say.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Hi mate.

Sorry to hear about the handling problem. I had handling problems a while back and had loads of things checked trying to locate the problem. In the end I had the dampers serviced which solved the problem.

Here is the thread... Although mine was a slightly different problem than what your describing it might be useful to look at as I have listed the parts that were checked, It may give you some ideas on what to look for.

http://cliotrophy.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6382&hilit=unstable

The problem is,the car cuts into corners much sharper than it used to do and feels unsteady , almost as if the front wheels want to tuck under the engine and flip the back end up

It sounds like the damper has gone soft. I know its easy to point the finger at the dampers, but this really does sound like it.
I assume you have checked for fluid leaking from the dampers (front and back) and checked to make sure you cant bounce either of the front dampers ?

Reaction score
Hello again
Just checked and yes, fluid looks to have leaked around the dampers, so i think i have part of the answer :oops:
Still going to have it looked at on friday but it seems likely this is the fault.
thanks for the link too BenG.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Sorry to hear about that mate.

A new damper costs around £1400-£1500 (each) so its best to send them both off for servicing, which costs about £350-400 (for both) depending on what condition there in. Sounds like yours just has a broken seal. Always get them serviced/replaced in pairs.

Keep us updated on the news...