Ajr

Reaction score
:oops:

Fed up of my broken trophy suspension, i'll need to get some temporary suspension to use while the sachs are up being refurbed at the front, and i'll have to shell out £200-300 for some koni or sachs rear dampers.

Then i think, why not just chuck some bilstein or H&R coilovers on? Surely they are going to be fine for road use on the highest setting, and great for track too?(not that i'll be using the trophy on track as i have 2 dedicated track cars but still)

Ajr

Reaction score
It's only around £800-900 for bilsteins or H&Rs, i'll fit them myself then get geo setup & possible corner weighing.
ASTs or similar are a bit more but that's to be expected!

£280+postage+vat absolute minimum for front damper refurb(if all is ok which i don't think it is), so say £350+
£300 for sachs rear dampers
At least £150 for some suspension to put on my car while the front dampers are being refurbed.

So £800 it's gonna cost me at least just to keep the suspension standard!

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I know alot of people on here will probably disaprove of that idea.
I however see no harm if your fed up with the Sach's setup. I mean there what makes the Trophy different from the rest but I dont see the point in selling the T and buying a cup just to get away with fitting coilovers!
As long as you keep the Sach's units and put them back on when you come to sell I cant see a problem TBH.

I just think its a waste of money buying decent coilovers when the Trophy already has Sach's racing suspension as standard. Which for fast road use will probably out perform coilovers.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
So £800 it's gonna cost me at least just to keep the suspension standard!

Fair comment but I think you may struggle to sell the Trophy fitted with coilovers ? maybe, I dont know.
Therefor you would have to get the Sach's serviced etc anyways. + costs to reset the geometry.

Its a hard choice !

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
two weeks of car hire would be less than £200.

I'm seriously considering hiring out my spare set for when people need to get theirs refubred lol...

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine are being removed tomorrow. :(

Im just going to bike in to work, sod it ! Although I hope there not going to take 2 weeks to be refurbed.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Cue said:
two weeks of car hire would be less than £200.

I'm seriously considering hiring out my spare set for when people need to get theirs refubred lol...

I think you'll find I've already copyrighted that idea Cue

Reaction score
rear trophy dampers are only £105+vat each making it about £245 for the pair.
Intrestingly though renault insist that my car has the extreme handling upgrade and that the rear dampers are a different part number and only about £45+vat each, still before i bought the car i had the rears changed as one had a slight leak, i also made sure they fitted the ones at £105 seeing as they matched the ones they were taking off. I just guessed Renault had got it wrong :?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
480bhp.com said:
Intrestingly though renault insist that my car has the extreme handling upgrade and that the rear dampers are a different part number and only about £45+vat each, still before i bought the car i had the rears changed as one had a slight leak, i also made sure they fitted the ones at £105 seeing as they matched the ones they were taking off. I just guessed Renault had got it wrong :?

I would be careful sounds like you might be getting cup ones!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
480bhp.com said:

do not in any circumstance listen to reno.... extreme handling upgrade? they make it up as the go along.

Reaction score
Bilsteins aren't avaliable for the trophy hub bolt spacing (same as 182 cup which is 58mm) The only coilovers about are the H&R's at about £920, AST's at around £1200 or Gaz coilovers £500 for rubbish ones or around £1000 for the decent ones.
Set up is going to cost an additional £250 and maybe some camber bolts would be needed for another £50, so, all in all, its a very expensive route to follow.
Why not get some normal 182 cup shocks from the dealer and fit them while your'e waiting for the Sachs, I can't imagine they'd be more than £100 each (my new rears were £50 each) I've got some standard 182 springs you could borrow.
Alternatively, for a really cheap option, post up a wanted advert on cliosport for a second hand set of shocks and springs from a 182 cup, I'd be willing to bet you'd get a whole car set for less than £80. I'm pretty sure they are a straight swap for the Sachs stuff, hubs are the same and top mounting points are the same, the only differance may be the rubber top mount and damper cap, which I'm sure you'd get with a second hand set.
For an opinion on Sachs Vs coilovers, PM Warren4 on Cliosport, he's had a trophy and now drives a AST'd 172.