Sachs rear dampers- why are they supplied bare?

Reaction score
So changed the rear dampers this morning, it couldn't be easier, I could probably do it in 10 mins per side now I know what to do. IMG_20161021_130640.jpg

However for some reason the Sachs rears are provided without the bushings/mounts you'd normally expect to see. Mine are looking second best so I need to replace them.

The problem is when I went to the Renault parts counter they said they aren't available. Mind you the useless ***** who work there told me they couldn't get me a touch up pen in capsicum red either.

So the question is what have other people done about replacing the top mounts and bushings? Can you just get them easily in the UK?

Here's one of the worn parts just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about- I want to change this and all the other bits you have to swap over from the old to new dampers.

Edit to add- I've found these Powerflex products
https://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-se...rce=powerflexbulletins&utm_term=The PFR60-311

but I'd rather keep it OEM as they will no doubt make the ride even harsher!

Reaction score
You could buy a pair of cup dampers then you get everything but an expensive way to do it but I just went with powerflex bushes when I replaced mine.

Reaction score
You gave them the part number off the old parts I assume?
Yep, they are useless though, possibly the worst parts department I've ever used. Totally clueless and disinterested, lucky for you lot you won't ever have to use them as they are in the Netherlands.

Powerflex bushes it is then. I really hope they don't make the car's ride worse as it's borderline at the moment on the shitty road surfaces that abound here.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It'll be fine.. If not I will swap my new std ones for your power flex ones.. Go purple tho not the black ones as they are track only I think...

Reaction score
Thanks Rik, went for the purple ones, as you say BLK are track items.

Reaction score
Also in the unlikely event anyone can't work it out. Just for searches sake
Changing the rear shocks:-

Pre-requisites- 16mm and 18mm socket/spanner and some means of holding the 16mm bolt when you remove it. I used a pair of pliers.

No need to jack up the car to start.

Work on one side at once.

18mm bolt is the one underneath the car. I used a penetrating oil on the bolt first. Remove using the tool of your choice.

16mm bolt is at the top of the suspension turret which you have exposed when you took the 'pyramid' rubber cover away which sits inside the boot.

After mostly removing the 18mm lower bolt I then released the 16mm top bolt.

The shock just drops away.

If you're using Sachs shocks they come without any of the adjuncts you might expect. No dust cover, no replacement bushings.

Swap over all the dust coverings and bushings (assuming they don't all need replacing- if so welcome to my world- a PITA)

Replacement is of course the inverse of removement :smiley:

I'm aware removement isn't a word. It probly should be.

Reaction score
Replaced the rear suspension bushes with powerflex items today to compliment the new rear Sachs. Almost unbelievably they've actually made a noticeable difference.

Took the car round a local handling circuit and the rear of the car feels less 'lead from the front' and more 'connected' to the car. The upshot is that razor sharp turn in now seems to include the whole vehicle rather than lagging at the rear and the overall ride seems improved. A good result from just replacing a few bushings/mounts.

edit to add: the ride isn't harsher at all with the powerflex bushes. If anything the car is more compliant than ever over crap surfaces while still retaining it's composure whatever you throw at it.

Last edited: