Reaction score
Just a quick question guys.

Taken the Trophy to K-tec to identify a knocking noise at the front of the car.

They checked everything twice and everything is sound.

The dampers were refurbed in June by BG Motorsport by the previous owner which I have an invoice for.

This is the only thing the K-tec guys can think can be causing it.

They don't get into stripping the Sachs so have emailed BG.

Has anyone else had any problems with the Sachs after refurb?

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Okay so dampers due for re-furb been in touch with Ben at BG and have disscussed me supplying new Renault top mounts so they can be fitted when there refurbed. Can anyone give me the part no. For the standard top mounts for the Sachs also any info on any other top mounts would be useful I don't think I want solids as only really use the T on the road and don't wanna increase the already harsh ride any further. Any input would be much appriciated.

keo

Reaction score
Does anyone know a price for new dampers from renault? I think i read that they were about £1500ish each? But now £600ish each? Is that right?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a price for new dampers from renault? I think i read that they were about £1500ish each? But now £600ish each? Is that right?

I have spoke to Renault UK and my local Renault dealer and BOTH have gave me a price of £1400+vat each but the parts manager said that there is good movement on that item for a good discount.

It will be each dealers decision tho.

keo

Reaction score
Ok marc thanks, tried local dealer today parts dep shit untill monday morning. Reading a few stories on here about dampers failing from bg puts me off. But then I have read alot of good reveiws as well

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I bought the last pair before this new batch on order from West's renault.

2 x £473 iirc.

Reaction score
Does anyone feel that the earlier rebuilds by BG seem to be lasting longer? could something have changed such as the quality of the parts or the technician doing the rebuild?

Would it help to start a new thread where we list the date of the rebuild and whether or not its failed or is holding out.

Reaction score
Does anyone feel that the earlier rebuilds by BG seem to be lasting longer? could something have changed such as the quality of the parts or the technician doing the rebuild?

Would it help to start a new thread where we list the date of the rebuild and whether or not its failed or is holding out.
Do it! Excellent idea...

Reaction score
Just had my dampers refurbed by BG Motorsport after 42k miles. Left one had failed completely. They are going back on the car tomorrow and fingers crossed will hold out for a few years as the refurb cleaned me out, not to mention being a huge hassle.

Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything with regards to worn out dampers from Trophy owners in Switzerland?

Reaction score
My Dampers are off for refurb this week but there not going to BG motorsport.

Funny, I was looking at doing something similar. I have contacted a company and trying to get them to visit here regarding offereng such a service.

Rob

Reaction score
I have spoken to Renault today and I have been told that the old parts 8200 514 733 and 8200 514 734 have now been superseded with the Twingo R1 units 77 111 67 413 and 77 111 67 414 for the Clio Trophy. The other possibility is that Renault are not placing orders for 8200 514 73x units as its not cost effective and are instead using up stock of existing 77 111 67 41x unit for the Trophy.

As I stated before I have one of the units already and these units seemed to be better made than the previous 8200 514 73x units, eg better machined adjusters and an additional seal/cleaner/dirt scraper on the top of the damper body as well as absolutuly no give/lateral movement of the piston rod (on the 8200 514 733 unit there is very slight movement when moving the piston side to side in relation to the damper body).

I will be swapping the 8200 514 733 unit for the 77 111 67 413 units this weekend, but my only concern is that the damping rates are a bit higher than the "standard" item. However, having since found out that Sachs have not made the 8200 514 73x dampers since 2005 when the Trophy was first released, it is therefore likely the 8200 514 733 unit I has sat in storage for 7 years and perhaps degraded over the years. What do you guys think, is this possible?

If I find them too hard, I may get them un-pinned in any case, but I have no idea as to what the rate should be.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Could the people who have contacts at Renault or Sachs ask them to give us the damping rates or at least confirm whether they have the same rates?

I would love to just buy a new set, but without the confirmation it's going to be a leap of faith.

@ Jonc - If you do put them on your car would you mind if I popped over to see you, to see how they feel? (Passenger ride)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just after a little more information before I send mine off to BG...

Is there anywhere else that offers a refurb service? As much as it is an essential thing, I think the costs involved are a little hard to swallow, especially so when they could fail at any time after. It seems like mine are requiring work, as the passenger side's much stiffer than the other.

It might be totally unrelated, but do you think a failing damper could make the ESP cut in prematurely too? My ESP cuts in a ridiculous amount, and I remember my dad's Trophy being very good with its ESP on and it wasn't intrusive in the slightest.