Reaction score
j333evo said:
Hence why anyone fitting anything to a Trophy other than original for example aftermarket "coil-overs" is probably making a stiffer but slower car.

This is evident with the Meggy .R, spring rates have relinquished what around 15% stiffness to keep the mechanical grip at a peak, as during testing the spring rates were so firm that it was understeering like a pig... or so i heard anyway

Reaction score
So i have been watching this thread like a hawk for the last year or so, as 007 has now hit 60k but shows no sign of needing the dampers refurbing. It still drives as well as ever, is solid as a rock when pushing down on the front end and upon inspection every week when i wash him they look fine with no seal damage/oil leakage.

However, my question is, if i leave the damper refurb until one of them finally fails, am i potentially causing more damage to it by doing so or will it just be fine?

I wont continue to drive with it failed, obviously, but i am trying madly to save for a house deposit, and this year i have the dreaded cambelt to think about and of course the little matter of giving BG £400 to service still-working dampers.

cheers folks

Dan

Reaction score
Hi all

Picked up 422 from BG today after having the dampers refurbed.
Then i visited the local tyre shop to get tracking set up and after spending a few quid in total today i can finally say i can drive the car with confidence again.
Ben said the dampers were in better nick than some he`d seen but the wallowing and poor handling has been resolved and the clio is set firm again, very nice!!

The expense is well worth it if you are unsure about wether you should have your dampers done.
44500 miles on the clock and the last 5k have been noticibly awful to drive.
Happy days now :D

Reaction score
Cleaned it up and there is still a gap, mess oily was localised and I do sometimes notice the front juddering when you boot it. And after a long trip down to Coventry from Manchester we did experience some motorway juddering that seemed to shake the whole car occasionly.... Think it might be refurb time?!

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
difficult to tell from the pic - there's essentially two major things that go. loss of oil and loss of gas. loss of oil would result in the gap narrowing, loss of gas result in no visual signs just a deteriation of the handling.

Reaction score
Thanks Cue. Does anyone know what the mm gap should be on a new / fully refurbed damper?

Alloys getting refurbed on Wednesday so will check the gaps on the weekend.

Reaction score
He did say "approx". Your gap looks about right. I believe you either have a gap or you don't. Try pushing down on each side to compare firmness ( :wink: )

Reaction score
Cue said:
difficult to tell from the pic - there's essentially two major things that go. loss of oil and loss of gas. loss of oil would result in the gap narrowing, loss of gas result in no visual signs just a deteriation of the handling.
Bit of confusion here! Looking through Harry M's post a loss of gas results in the gap narrowing and I imagine a loss of oil will normally show itself as a build up of oil where there shouldn't be (bottom of damper/garage floor)...

Reaction score
Trophy No.
OliS said:
Cue said:
Bit of confusion here! Looking through Harry M's post a loss of gas results in the gap narrowing and I imagine a loss of oil will normally show itself as a build up of oil where there shouldn't be (bottom of damper/garage floor)...

This is how I understood it to be as well with loss of gas meaning the closure of the gap.
By the look of that damper I'd say most of its oil is on the outside not the inside where its supposed to be.

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
yes you're correct i always get them the wrong way around - gas pushes oil not the other way around.... no gas = rock hard ride, no oil = spongy handling.

Reaction score
My dampers are coming off today as i had a buyer for my trophy and he let me down so keeping the Trophy :D

Sending them down to Bg motorsport in a few days :eek:

Reaction score
I'm getting mine serviced next week. Whilst there off I'm going to freshen them up with some paint, does anyone know what the colour code is? Or if anyone else has painted them what did you use? as I'll probably just match them with a spray tin from Halfords.

Reaction score
Everyone uses hammerite , Get the old paint off and all the grime with thinners too , Hammerite silver does the trick .

Reaction score
Still got to paint the lower half but look at them now ...

From

IMG_0072.gif

TOO

IMG_0083.gif