Reaction score
How have you coped without your car for a few weeks, or have you thrown a pair of cup dampers on to see you through?

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
If i never had a spare set of sachs dampers i would just buy a set of FF 182 front shocks new and roll in them for a while.

Reaction score
How have you coped without your car for a few weeks, or have you thrown a pair of cup dampers on to see you through?
I brought new cup dampers from work I paid £25 each for them so wasnt that much of a dent in the wallet. The Sachs have been off for a year anyway. Just didnt want to pay BG motorsport prices for refurb untill I was told about Cornering force.

Reaction score
If i never had a spare set of sachs dampers i would just buy a set of FF 182 front shocks new and roll in them for a while.

I'm running Cup dampers now while the Sachs ones are off. Only had them on a few days but I have to say I'm very impressed; the ride's lovely! Can't wait to get the refurbished Sachs dampers back on though!

Reaction score
Just got mine back from Simon at Cornering Force, he said they're spot on now (dyno graphs to show this too). Came to £232 in total.

Reaction score
Just got mine back from Simon at Cornering Force, he said they're spot on now (dyno graphs to show this too). Came to £232 in total.

Wow, so cheap compared to you know who! Did you need new parts or was it just a service?

Reaction score
Awesome, i take it that excluded the sandblast/painting he offfers? Still i will be sending mine there

Reaction score
Jesus, How long were yours with them for? Still waiting on mine must be nearly 6 weeks with them now not that I dont mind as they have been off for a year lol I've gone for the sandblasting too. Im hoping I'll hear back by tomorrow.

Reaction score
until they stop suppyling parts to cornering force, my advice get in quick now before prices start shooting up. i'm getting mine booked in asap

Very cynical! But quite possibly what's going to happen.

Reaction score
I had a long chat with Simon at Cornering Force this afternoon! He said he's confident that the parts supply in the future will be ok and said that some parts were just regular O rings that he normally carries in stock. He also said that he often gets bespoke parts made even piston shafts etc. and doesn't foresee many parts that could not be run off by a machine shop in the future!

However he did say that the only slight problem in the future may be corrosion where the cup that the spring sits in is welded to the main body of the damper and advised me to keep that area as clean as possible to try to prevent this happening.

Reaction score
Wow, so cheap compared to you know who! Did you need new parts or was it just a service?
As far as I know it was a service with oil change, regas, new seals with dyno charts to show performance before and after.

Awesome, i take it that excluded the sandblast/painting he offfers? Still i will be sending mine there
Yup, I opted not to get that as I needed them back for a trip to the 'ring next weekend. I'd recommend it though as most Trophy dampers have seen better days so this would definitely bring them back to life cosmetically. I just Hammerited mine.

Jesus, How long were yours with them for? Still waiting on mine must be nearly 6 weeks with them now not that I dont mind as they have been off for a year lol I've gone for the sandblasting too. Im hoping I'll hear back by tomorrow.
Approximately 4 weeks, I did keep ringing to check progress etc. but he was as quick as he could be - he was just waiting on the seals. As soon as they were done he called me and I collected them the same day (you can get next-day delivery for not too much!).

until they stop suppyling parts to cornering force, my advice get in quick now before prices start shooting up. i'm getting mine booked in asap
That was my thinking, however see below...

I had a long chat with Simon at Cornering Force this afternoon! He said he's confident that the parts supply in the future will be ok and said that some parts were just regular O rings that he normally carries in stock. He also said that he often gets bespoke parts made even piston shafts etc. and doesn't foresee many parts that could not be run off by a machine shop in the future!

However he did say that the only slight problem in the future may be corrosion where the cup that the spring sits in is welded to the main body of the damper and advised me to keep that area as clean as possible to try to prevent this happening.
Excellent. I've Hammerited mine as previously mentioned but I'd highly recommend shot-blasting and powdercoating. Hopefully mine will stand the test of time - he said mine are by far not the worst he's seen so they should be alright.

Reaction score
Sorry, the total cost of the rebuild was £214.80. Not sure where I got that other figure from!

Reaction score
Thats a good price. What sort of turn aroumd would you expect without waiting for seals? I reckon thier powder coating prices are a bit steep but compared to the saving over BG I will be getting mine done when I send them off.

Reaction score
It would depend how many he has in at the time. The job itself doesn't take him long to do, maybe around a week or two if he had the seals in stock.

Reaction score
CHeers mate, need to get mine sent off soon. They are a bit firm at the moment!

Reaction score
Im the same mate. But apparently they either lose gas pressure and go floppy (noticeable by boucing the corners of the car) or they go stiff as the seals start to perish. I want to get them done anyway as Im pretty sure they havent been touched yet!