Reaction score
Well the damper is definitely firmer, just did a very unscientific test with a bathroom scale to see how much weight was required before the rods moved. The scales registered around 140-150lbs of me pushing down the standard damper on the scale and it took 150-160lbs Twingo R1 item. Also it seems the Twingo damper is possibly progressive as the more I pushed the harder it got whereas the standard items are linear.

Nice test mate! that would make sense as the R1 is a rally car and has to cope with this shit....
pearson_rallye_sunseeker_2012.jpg

Reaction score
Would a couple of clicks on the dampers not change how much weight had to be put onto the piston rod before it moved?
Yes okay, Linear vs Progressive is another argument completely. Looking at the dials the two dampers are pinned in two different locations (providing the adjusters were put on in the same place) Looks half a turn more/less on each one.

Just a small observation.

With the 'sides' to the dampers, possibly its drivers side and passenger side aware. In the Twingo the driver is on our passenger side and what would be our drivers side damper, is on the passenger side. Which of course is the drivers side on the Twingo ;) Hope that made sense.

Reaction score
not totally sure about that mate, the swiss trophy its a left drive car and the sachs didnt swap siide :confused:

DSC00420.JPG

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Could you, in theory, swap the passenger and drivers side dampers around without any adverse affects? Or is the spring cup angled to suite?

Last edited:
Reaction score
From what I can see and on images of other pairs of dampers, there are no differences in cup angles, so in theory you could swap between left and right. The only difference would be perhaps the damping rate maybe. The MK2 Twingo chassis is the same as the MK2 Clios.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
From what I can see and on images of other pairs of dampers, there are no differences in cup angles, so in theory you could swap between left and right. The only difference would be perhaps the damping rate maybe. The MK2 Twingo chassis is the same as the MK2 Clios.

I've just done a search and the Twingo damper you have pictured (7711167414) is what would be our passenger side damper, so the reservoirs are actually on the opposite side than the Trophy units.

That's all I was trying to work out. Thought they may have been the same but bolted on differently.

Reaction score
Yes that price is per damper according to the Renault-sport site. However, you could contact Tom at West Renault to see if he can get a quote for you, the part numbers are 77 111 67 414 and 77 111 67 413. Be interesting to see if someone does fit them to the Trophy, ideal for someone who regularly tracks their Trophy.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I doubt it's as simple as bolting on the Twingo R1 units, these are designed for rally use, ours are designed for road use, and surely BG Motorsports could tweek ours to suite a more track based car rather than forking out for new dampers which we don't know much about characteristic wise.

Reaction score
You are of course right, personally I wouldn't do it as I don't track my car (yet!). As for bolting then on to a Clio, the unit looks exactly identical and has the exact same dimensions from what I can tell with a tape measure right down to the bolt spacing and the thread at the top of the rod. But of course there is the question of longevity and whether they would stand up to all year round weathering and thousands of road miles, but they could prove to be even more durable to stand up to the rigors of a rallying. But as I said, if you are looking to track your car (and if you have money to burn!), well why not, could make a decent alternative to aftermarket coil overs. I'm not condoning anyone should do this without throughly looking into this before making a purchase, just that the option is there possibly.

BenG

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Yes I agree. When I said 'I doubt it's as simple as bolting them on' I meant further setting up may be required, as in choosing the right springs etc, then pehaps a different rear setup may be required. I looks like you could physically just swap them over but that isn't what I meant.

But, as the casing is the same as the ones on the Trophy then only the internals can be different, so i'm sure BG motorsports could change the internals, maybe for a cheaper price than buying new ones.

Probably unlikely seeing the cost of a refurb but that's the route I would go down first.

I would have thought the Trophy setup would be pretty much perfect for a road stage in a rally. It would be interesting to see what the internals are like and how they differ from the Trophy's and what makes them more progressive (if of course they are more progressive).

It just shows you how good these dampers are when you see very similar items used on rally cars.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I get the impression reading recent posts that dampers refurbished by BG do not last very long, perhaps a year or two but many seem to fail much quicker. I am sure there will be a small number of situations when BG are not to blame, but it is worrying.

With the price of new dampers falling of late, I wonder if people are becoming more inclined to buy new rather than risk a short-lived refurbed?

So, to sum this up were the failing cases from BG due to a scored piston and the other 2 cases due to cracked gas O-roungs?
I may be interested in buying a Trophy but the costs and hassle involved in refurbishing the suspension every so often is putting me off.
Have any Trophy owners driven a 182 with cup packs and is the difference in suspension huge?

It's definitely worth considering if they are in bad shape. I'm wondering what else would be worth trying at the moment. My car is high
mileage and modified so I don't really care about resale value. If there was a decent (front only) stiff damper option for a few hundred I would be tempted. I'm currently running 182 cup fronts with MF springs and Koni revalved rears and they feel pretty soft at the front. Shame about the cup bolt spacing really.

Interesting comments.
How does this affect the handling of the car?
Better suited for pot holed and wet roads?

Reaction score
Trophy No.
So, to sum this up were the failing cases from BG due to a scored piston and the other 2 cases due to cracked gas O-roungs?
I may be interested in buying a Trophy but the costs and hassle involved in refurbishing the suspension every so often is putting me off.
Have any Trophy owners driven a 182 with cup packs and is the difference in suspension huge?

Much as I am pretty disgusted with the prices of some of the refurbs coming out of BG I think a few high profile failures on here have tarnished the process and as you point out these seem to have specific reasons behind the failures. Owners have been getting them refurbed for years previously without any (that i can remember) issues.

Reaction score
I know it has been mentioned on here already but I cant find it, does anyone know what the weight of the dampers are? Need to organise my postage today however forgot to weigh them before I left for work this morning! Cheers

Reaction score
I know it has been mentioned on here already but I cant find it, does anyone know what the weight of the dampers are? Need to organise my postage today however forgot to weigh them before I left for work this morning! Cheers

I'd guestimate at no more than 15KG.

Most of the couriers, ie City Link, TNT, Yodel will let you send up to 30KG without additional charge these days.