Sachs Damper Protection

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Have I definitely got the right thing?

How on earth does this get over the shock?? I just played about with the gaiter and it has some stretch but not much.

Look at the difference in diameters.

View attachment 33513
It looks like your going to have to cut off that bottom edge on the rubber boot to allow the next step to sit over the top of the black plastic base on the shock absorber.
Is the rubber boot none genuine?
I've done hundreds of shock absorbers for all kinds of cars and they sometimes don't fit onto the body of the shock until the spring is fitted and compresses the piston part down to allow it to go over.
By the looks of it it will never go over without cutting it level with the base of the next step up.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
My thoughts also so I've given up on the idea. The new OEM items have arrived from France so I'll see if I can secure the bottom of the gaiterto the shock.

One thing I hadn't realised was how tight the bump stops are in these from new, my old ones have always slipped in very easily so I had no idea how firmly in place they're meant to be.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Given up on the jubilee clip idea as their size ranges are quite limited from what I can see online and there's a fair discrepancy between the damper diameter (~50mm) and gaiter diameter (~80mm). Going to go with cable ties and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Fuck it! Given up!

The gaiter just pops out of shape, what a waste of time.

Will stick to removing the dampers before each winter and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Original bump stop, Powerflex gaiter and no cutting, just a bit of stretching. It took two minutes, sorry but I don’t understand what the problem is.IMG_0785.jpeg

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If it's of help, here is a photo of my Sachs Trophy dampers, fitted with standard renault weather seals. Rebuilt by BG Motorsport of Silverstone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240425_220240_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240425_220240_Photos.jpg
    485.7 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Trophy No.
@Patrick Bateman the smaller end of the gaiter is secured on the rib of the bump stop/spring aid as a press fit. I.e. the top of the damper module.

The bottom larger end is free floating and does not appear (on mine at least) to attach to the damper at all.

We'd call these a dust tube rather than a gaiter (which would be secured both ends to stop water/slurry whilst wading for example).

Open ended dust tubes are common across OEMs on cars where the seal pack of the damper is less likely to encounter large amounts of continuous submersion. E.g. Renault Clios!

SUVs however tend to require more protection, hence a full length secured gaiter.

Even these will have small drain holes in the gaiter - which helps to direct water out of the damper rather than risk pushing it into the seal pack in a bump event (or popping the gaiter off completely).

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Might be worth passing on advice from BG motorsport. They see dampers back for attention earlier than expected in very low milage cars. Thats what happened to 158 when the car was used very little for 2 yrars subsequent to a damper rebuild. They leaked pretty soon after I started driving it more regularly. So I guess one of the best protections is to use the car....

Reaction score
Trophy No.
Think I've found a sound alternative to the Powerflex items, will post photos this weekend.
Based on an old post on the Clio Trophy Facebook page I saw one guy mentioning Passat rears doing the job. Managed to find the right ones on Ebay, 'Vetech' branded and they seem to do the trick as I've just fitted one over the black cap and cable tied it below it.

In less good news, the second damper which I hadn’t unwrapped since getting refurbed at Cornering Force has fucking grit all round the rod where it enters the main housing! Looks like it was from the old rubber boot they fitted back on without checking or cleaning. I really hope an air line at my work can properly clear it out as there is still some grit in the gap after I’ve removed as much as I can.

Attachments

• IMG_2491.png
    IMG_2491.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2490.png
    IMG_2490.png
    560 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0005.jpeg
    IMG_0005.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0007.jpeg
    IMG_0007.jpeg