Replacing tyres on totally standard Trophy

Reaction score
I am currently looking to replace some old (aged) tyres.

I would like to replace with the PE2's as thats whats on my car, but i cant seem to find them anywhere.

All the PE2's that come on ebay are way out of date (old production, like 2008) which i dont really trust.

I see there are PS3's available, and also F1 asymmetrics.

What is the current and up to date tyre that is preferred on the Trophy these days?

Does anyone have a link to the best place to get some? best deals with prices for delivered, or fitted (or collected from somewhere around the London region)

The car is not really used in the wet. Would a set of decent track style tyres be a crazy idea?
(AD08, R888, or similar if available in this size?)

All input would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
If you are going to drive it year round go for PS3's
If you will only use it in the dryer months the Yokohama Neova seem a great choice and look great on the car
If you are on a tighter budget the Nakang NS2R track day tyres have a lot of fans... Just use slightly lower pressures as the side walls are quite stiff... 30F 27-28R

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I saw those tyres on eBay, nice if you just want to display the car, but I am guessing those are probably out of date, not the best option for such an amazing handling little car. Why compromise your handling, and more importantly your own and your passengers safety.

I wanted the PE2's but there is absolutely no way I'm not going to use out of date rubber on my car.

I went all out and got some AD08R's today! They look awesome, I've never tried them before.

Although my car isn't ever going to be tracked, the tyres sure do look ideal for it!

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have PS3's and they are good all rounders but for next summer I will be going AD08R for sure.

Reaction score
I have AD08rs which were put on by the previous owner, the grip in the dry is fantastic but you have to tread carefully in the wet and drive smoothly to maintain swift progress. They break off early but progressively, I can't help feeling they aren't ideal in a daily driver or even as a GT which is how I'll be using the car mostly.
Not much use having the stickiest tyres on the block if you get to the hairpins, it's raining and you can't use them!
Perfect if you never want to go out in the wet though.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
He did say early in his post he won't be driving in the wet much .. So i suggested AD08R for the drier months

For the ideal use of the car ( B road rocket ) in the dry the AD08's will be hard to beat

Last edited:
Reaction score
Trophy No.
I have AD08rs which were put on by the previous owner, the grip in the dry is fantastic but you have to tread carefully in the wet and drive smoothly to maintain swift progress. They break off early but progressively, I can't help feeling they aren't ideal in a daily driver or even as a GT which is how I'll be using the car mostly.
Not much use having the stickiest tyres on the block if you get to the hairpins, it's raining and you can't use them!
Perfect if you never want to go out in the wet though.

Using the Clio as a GT car you must need ear plugs .. and on those tyres very brave.. However i did use a Mk2 golf 16v for my runs to Germany back in the day so i feel your pain ... But fuel was a bit cheaper then ..

Reaction score
Lots of trips to Eifel and Alps, the Clio is less noisy than my old SL on the motorway because unless it was raining I always had the roof off.

Nice and comfy seats too as they're perfectly moulded to my love handles.

Reaction score
.... ex Trophy lurker (previous owner of MO30's car), would say that yes, the AD08Rs are *not* idea for the wet, but at the same time I drove through two of the worst monsoons I've seen in my life in with them on (once in the UK heading to Buckmore Park kart circuit, the other driving to Le Mans), and never once felt I was in danger.

I mean, i fully *expected* the aquaplane,but it never came. Not even a "moment". If you treat them with respect you're not in danger; you just have to drive very carefully. Considering how aggressive the tread pattern and how good in the dry the wet performance left me very impressed.

If i owning the car as a 52 week daily, I'd have gone for something different though, must admit. For a fun car/track car, definitely recommended.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
I'm with you .. I will try some AD08R's next summer .. Just go careful if it gets too wet..
I will re fit my PS3's if i drive the car after October-ish ..

Reaction score
Mizen knows what he's talking about. The Yokos are great in the dry, you just need to treat them in the wet with the sort of respect I've become used to in a heavy, high powered RWD car. BTW I drove hundreds of miles on B roads in the lake district while it rained the entire time. The issue was that in the dry on the Yokos I could drive like a hooligan, when it rained I needed to pay some attention to what I was doing. The car was still predictable in the wet and easy to steer on the throttle.

After a few thousand miles in the car I'm convinced the way forward is a set of 15" wheels for winter and keep the Yokos for summer.

The problem is which generic Renault alloys will fit?

Hoping for a cheap as shit set of Megane wheels and stick on some Michelin Alpines.