Potential new owner.

Reaction score
Happy New Year all,

After years of always wanting a Trophy I've finally decided now is the time.

Having said when I turn 30 "I'll buy something special", so with a few months till my 31st I best get my finger out.

With all cars now 10 years old, my main area of focus is service history. Mileage isn't a huge issue it's more the overall condition of the car that will drive the deal, obviously low mileage would be great but these cars were built to be driven.
Ideally I'd want a standard car apart the obvious must have an aftermarket exhaust and retrofitted xenons would be a nice plus.

I'm based just outside Edinburgh and after looking through all the current adverts I'll need to travel a bit to find the right car.

And just to add this will be a second car but will get used regularly.
I currently run a Mini Cooper SD annual mileage is 16kmiles pa but I miss not owning a Renaultsport after previously owning a R26 for 2 years then a 2yr gap then owning a RS250 for a year before buying the Mini.

I have Head vs Heart battles when it comes to cars.

Thanks for reading,
Daryl

Reaction score
I've sent you a PM about a car but not heard back from you so perhaps your burning desire for one has waned!!

The thing with these cars is its the next thing to Hobson's choice if you are wanting one quickly, with a pool of less than 400 to go at (apparently) it's not like buying a Ford Focus. There are generally a couple for sale at any one time. I think there are possibly 6 out there in the usual places for sale at the moment. 4 of them on PH. 2 on Autotrader, the 06 plater on AT is with a trader who bought it off a member, unless he has paid for a full belt service which it needed he has £1000 profit across it at the moment.

I've found quite a lot of them have been modded to various degrees from just the exhaust to full suspension and engine mods and even the odd stripped out track car.

My research on them points to a small number of hardcore - never sell- owners as there is with any marque, to those who buy intending to keep but their circumstances change, child seats etc. Then there are the flippers who buy the car get fed up and move on.

If you don't want to compromise its a waiting game. Good ones sell fairly quickly and they tend to be the ones where maintenance and care during ownership is apparent.

Price wise for a sub 100k car in nice condition with good history, recent service and damper history you need to be thinking in the region of £5500 - £6000. You might drop on something less than that but the appreciation hype is certainly pushing prices northward.

This is is all just my opinion based on a couple of months of research take it or leave it for what it is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah sorry about not replying thanks for the heads up. I've asked the question so we will see if I get a reply.

I've enquired about a few over the past 3 years or so but at those times the lower mileage cars commanded a big premium and the others needed work done or were modded far more than I liked.

I'm in no rush to buy but I do need to sort out a loan which will get done this week.

I am after a car as close to OEM as possible but if it's modded and comes with the original parts that wouldn't put me off.

Cheers for the info. If anyone else knows of any potential cars feel free to PM me.

When did you get yours?
Can I ask how much you paid, mileage etc? PM me if you'd like or if you'd rather not say that's fine.

Thanks again.

I've sent you a PM about a car but not heard back from you so perhaps your burning desire for one has waned!!

The thing with these cars is its the next thing to Hobson's choice if you are wanting one quickly, with a pool of less than 400 to go at (apparently) it's not like buying a Ford Focus. There are generally a couple for sale at any one time. I think there are possibly 6 out there in the usual places for sale at the moment. 4 of them on PH. 2 on Autotrader, the 06 plater on AT is with a trader who bought it off a member, unless he has paid for a full belt service which it needed he has £1000 profit across it at the moment.

I've found quite a lot of them have been modded to various degrees from just the exhaust to full suspension and engine mods and even the odd stripped out track car.

My research on them points to a small number of hardcore - never sell- owners as there is with any marque, to those who buy intending to keep but their circumstances change, child seats etc. Then there are the flippers who buy the car get fed up and move on.

If you don't want to compromise its a waiting game. Good ones sell fairly quickly and they tend to be the ones where maintenance and care during ownership is apparent.

Price wise for a sub 100k car in nice condition with good history, recent service and damper history you need to be thinking in the region of £5500 - £6000. You might drop on something less than that but the appreciation hype is certainly pushing prices northward.

This is is all just my opinion based on a couple of months of research take it or leave it for what it is.

Reaction score
Who cares, Get the same person to value all the trophys :up:

Wait till I buy one, then the prices can jump up.

MarcR where abouts are in the Central Belt? I'm in Dechmont/Broxburn.

Last edited:

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Wait till I buy one, then the prices can jump up.

MarcR where abouts are in the Central Belt? I'm in Dechmont/Broxburn.

Im @ Mark Wallace Round About :up:

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe I've not seen you about. Your thread is a good read :up:

Are there any other Trophy owners local?

Dannyeff is from glasgow.

There is one that stays in Greenbank / Morningside and they work in St Johns Hospital , Its a gent in his 50s

There is a sneaky one thats parked up in a garage under cover in Linlithgow that does not move and is box fresh.

Mines never comes out or moves as i have a Monaco 172 & a A3 TDi S-Line along with a couple of others.

Reaction score
Dannyeff is from glasgow.

There is one that stays in Greenbank / Morningside and they work in St Johns Hospital , Its a gent in his 50s

There is a sneaky one thats parked up in a garage under cover in Linlithgow that does not move and is box fresh.

Mines never comes out or moves as i have a Monaco 172 & a A3 TDi S-Line along with a couple of others.

Ah Greenbank in the hospital grounds? My friend lived in the flats there and my best at Wester hill. Never seen it, mind you that was 5 years ago.

I was hoping to meet a local member before I buy so when I do stand infront of one I don't get caught up n the moment. Plus I'd have idea how dampers should feel etc.

MarcB

ClioTrophy Club Member
Reaction score
Ah Greenbank in the hospital grounds? My friend lived in the flats there and my best at Wester hill. Never seen it, mind you that was 5 years ago.

I was hoping to meet a local member before I buy so when I do stand infront of one I don't get caught up n the moment. Plus I'd have idea how dampers should feel etc.

Drop me a private message with your number and i will let you see mine and if you are free let you have a drive of it and i will also bring along a goosed shock so you know what to look for.