Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just wondering if you have any experience of having your paint chips removed with either a scratch/chip removal service or even a DIY kit?

I've been thinking about getting a few done on my car and just wanted to know your thoughts on these companies that claim they can make it as good as new! How good is the service? can you recommend a company? and how much?

Or has anyone got any experience of the DIY kits you can buy? can anyone recommend any?

Be grateful for any info! thanks!

Reaction score
Good as new my arse

I took my 306 rallye to a chips away place to remove some scuffs, a dent and about 10 stonechips. I told him I thought the small paint pots you can get give a rubbish effect because they don't perfectly fill the chip and they only last a few weeks. "No no we do it properly and it looks great" :^o

So I went to pick it up the next day and told him I thought he'd done a crap job and I'd leave it with him another 24 hours.

The next day the car looked much better. In the end the scuffs had gone, the dents had gone and the stonechips were 'less noticeable' but as I feared the paint came off after a few weeks.

I always feared having panels resprayed but to be honest I wouldn't think twice to having the bonnet or front bumper resprayed now I had it done on my old Teg, looks loads better and only costs about £100 a piece at a place near me. Better spend of your money IMO.

Reaction score
I've recently done a few touch ups using the kit that can be bought from Halfords.
Overall, pretty good results if you concentrate on what you're doing...

Ok, the paint match isn't perfect if you look very very closely, but if you're good and use the primer followed by several coats then you should see good results.

I found the best finishes came by 'over-filling' the chip each time and then t-cutting (or equivalent) back to flat before it got too hard. ie. the same day but after maybe 4-5 hours. I repeated this a few times, depending on how happy i was with the colour match and smoothness to the surrounding paint.

It's also worth noting that the nib's on the the touch up pens are prone to seeping paint out of the end. This makes it very difficult to use next time when the needle gets stuck in the lid!!

Let us know how it goes if you do opt for DIY,
Have fun!

Reaction score
I use Renault's own touch up pen and get really good results with it actually.

The paint looks much to light a colour to start with but it dries to be an exact match, to the extent that I quite often find them hard to locate when I want to add the laquer!

Had none of the paint come off either, seems to be very hard wearing.

I can't remember how much mine was but I know it wasn't that cheap, certainly likely to be alot more than anything from Halfords. Worth it though in my eyes.

Reaction score
If you want an official Renault touch up pen, it may be worth asking TwingoGeekeo about a discount.