Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
I have a decat and a Janspeed cat back exhaust and lately the Trophy backfires (pops and bangs) on a cold start. Does anyone else get this or is mine the first? I have noticed the exhaust sounding louder when driving so it maybe that the stuffing from the box has almost gone completly... hence it now popping...

Cue

Reaction score
Trophy No.
never come across this in mine, could be a number of things i'd guess. possibly related to the exhaust, or even the engine - possibly the mgt system.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
It didn't do it at the start (after first fitting the exhaust) It's just a recent thing. It also drives spot on once its finished the cold start process from driving a few hundred yards down the road.

I suppose it' nothing major to worry about... It sounds cool too :)

Nik

ClioTrophy Admin
Reaction score
Trophy No.
Mine does this loads too from cold. I dont remember it doing it when i first got the exhaust and decat fitted though, and i do now have a rattle in the centre section which i suspect needs fixing so your theory might be right. Does sound cool though :lol:

Reaction score
Nik, 7Mat - you both have decats so your popping is expected!

Renaultsport - I have the same set up as you (Janspeed, cat back); I've got Cue's Janspeed and have put quite a few miles on it (10k) but I don't having any popping etc. although it has become a lot 'meatier' in sound recently.

O.

Reaction score
Yeah, my Janspeed plus de-cat is sounding better and better with mileage.

I have been told recently that it sounds especially nice (from outside the car) at high revs.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
oliie said:
Nik, 7Mat - you both have decats so your popping is expected!

Renaultsport - I have the same set up as you (Janspeed, cat back); I've got Cue's Janspeed and have put quite a few miles on it (10k) but I don't having any popping etc. although it has become a lot 'meatier' in sound recently.

O.

I've got the Janspeed system plus decat... it sounds the muts the more miles you do on it!

Reaction score
Sorry - I miss-read your initial post about having a decat...

It is quite amazing how the Janspeed matures though - it is so much better now than it was 6 months ago... a marked change in depth and loudness!

O.

Reaction score
RN0 - only if the exhaust caused damage to the part you are claiming under warranty. Unfortunately the burden of proof is normally on you to prove that the exhaust didn't cause the said damage.

Renaultsport

ClioTrophy Moderator
Reaction score
oliie said:
Sorry - I miss-read your initial post about having a decat...

It is quite amazing how the Janspeed matures though - it is so much better now than it was 6 months ago... a marked change in depth and loudness!

O.

Mines got a good rasp to it now... i think the lack of a Cat has helped to blow the stuffing out! :lol:

Reaction score
i though it invalidated the whole warrenty, well i think a decat and exhaust might be getting ordered in the not so distant future!

Reaction score
RN0 5EAN said:
i though it invalidated the whole warrenty, well i think a decat and exhaust might be getting ordered in the not so distant future!

Well if your brakes don't work they're hardly going to blame an aftermarket exhaust for it...

Exhaust is a must have - it really brings the car alive.

O.

Reaction score
I've also been contemplating the Janspeed, seems to be a good quality system for a reasonable price.

Unfortunately I cant justify the best part of a grand for an Orbisoud

Reaction score
Heard nothing but good reports about it on here, though it seems like the Janspeed system has actually shot up about £50 in the last few weeks - used to be £350 now its on sale everywhere for £400 - bit of a jump in price!