Reaction score
For me the best product i have used by hand is Zymol HD Clense(actually I'd say thats my favourite product ever) but it is quite pricey at £28 for 250ml and you need a wax after using it as contains no wax. I use it with the pads that came with the kit. Just wipe on with a bit of pressue and wipe off with a few seconds.

A similar product is Dodo Lime Prime and you get double the amount for about £23. Plus you can use that with machines!!

Reaction score
quik5i1ver said:
Quick question whilst this thread is going so well
- what pads would anyone recommend for hand polishing? Also what products and any methodology advice? (polish only)

For hand polishing I use the SFX Pro Applicators or the Lake Country German Applicator. They're basically the same but different colours. They're a nice size to use and have two different foams in the for different levels of cut.

Reaction score
Thirty Thousand Pounds! Well if some pratt wants to buy it then good on 'em for selling it! I can now understand spending 160 on a wax is going to get you a very good product, and don't take you as bragging, it's just the different levels of people's understanding of detailing. I've no doubt that after a few years it can be easy to spend that money and justify the reason for doing so. And ur right, you wouldn't do it if you didn't enjoy it!

Ur right hoolio, i use too much, always do, need to calm it down on the pouring!

Can i ask, do you know if it's possible to reduce swirl marks already on the paintwork using a product by hand? I know it can be a very detailed thing with products and methods for the use of machine polishers to carry out such a thing, just wondering whether you have to go down that route to fix the problem?

My new products turned up today :D Had to buy a new jack after work so i can get the wheels off tomorrow for a good going over! So excited, how sad!

Reaction score
It's certainly possible, it's just hard work and you have to be patient. I've managed it with both abrasive polishes, and with filler glazes or polishes. It's been by no means perfect, but certainly improved and better than the majority of cars on the road. One product I found very easy to use and good at reducing swirling is the Menzerna Fina Finish Polish (the one with 85 in name), followed by Clearkote red moose machine glaze. The best thing I find to do is pick on panel everytime you wash it and put all the effort into one panel. If you try and do the whole car by hand in one go you'll rush it and end up wasting your time as it won't be improved.

Reaction score
Trophy No.
It's certainly possible to do it by hand but it will be very hard work and doing it a panel at a time and spending a couple of hours on that panel is good advice. That may sound extreme but I probably spend that ammount of time on a panel with a machine polisher :shock: I have thought about doing other peoples cars for a little extra cash but they'd probably end up being without their drive for about two weeks :)

Reaction score
Nice one, thanks for the product advice, i'll bare that in mind. I always do one panel at a time with the clay etc. Took me three days spread over 2weeks to do the whole car. Spent 5 hours today doing 3 wheels, last one can wait till tomorrow. I definately reccomend the billberry wheel cleaner, superb. Two applications with light pressure from a wheel brush had removed all the gruesome muck inside the alloy without fuss, almost a year since i cleaned them last. Rear ones much cleaner obviously, and my waxing of them last year done a good job as they certainly weren't worse than when i done the work then.

Chemical Boys wheel guard is pretty sweet. Easy to apply and remove, after claying, megs paint cleaner and crystal polish. They look truely stunning, never seen them looking so nice, well worth the effort! Time and driving will show how good the gear is.